Oscar ..Chest Tumor ..bye big boy :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He has no signs of a resp infection, other than his laboured breathing.

His lungs sound clear, his eyes are bright

He finished his baytril/doxy yesterday ..a six week course.

That was his fist time having meds.

He has slight HED ..he has been loosing weight since January ..I really think its old age ..I know 25 months is not that old ..but considering his family history it is ..I could try another med combo, but I won't be able to get it until Thursday (the next time my vet is in)

Laboured breathing is a symptom though, even in the absence of lung sounds. The weight loss could be the early signs of a PT as well, but I would rule out an infection first. Old age alone does not cause the rapid weight loss you are describing.

Keep an eye out for CHF symptoms, too -- blue around the paws, a sort of puffy/water retention look, hanging his head over shelf edges, general lack of interest in activity, and gasping. Those were all symptoms Beryl had, anyway. He lost weight very fast in the end and aged very quickly.

I've heard that chronic URIs can cause CHF

He has not had chronic URI's ..easter was his first time on medication and there are no signs of CHF

He has only started the laboured breathing since he started showing mild HED symptoms.

Here is what I notice:

- When he is inside his cage, his breathing is almost normal ..but he dose not want to stay in the cage, he actually climbs up to the top of the CN from the outside (something he has never done)..he just wants out.

- He will only eat certain things: Blueberries, Ensure from my finger only, Mushed lab blocks mixed with water, olive oil and pea baby food

- He is able to eat with two paws, no clubing, etc.

- When he sits to eat ..his back legs are out in front more (HED?)

- Lazy (not cleaning himself as much - although when I'm not looking at him, he dose it more)

What medication do you suggest I try?

Only things I have used are:
Baytril
Zithro
Doxy

ETA: I know the weight loss in not old age ..Sophie had the exact same thing which turned into PT.

ETAx2: I have started him on Baytril again this morning ..but on the high dose until I can get him into my vet for possible other meds ..:S

It really does sound like he is aging rapidly, which also means his immune system is as well. The feet pushed out for balance is the Old Rat Tripod...they do it for support because they are unable to sit up on those hind feet anymore. I have seen weight loss like that in oldies, but until he shows more symptoms there's not a lot you can do.

His extremities are warm and "pink"? The HED first symptoms are a twitch in the toes...after you see the rumba walk. Forget HED out of the whole scenario.

lilspaz68 said:
It really does sound like he is aging rapidly, which also means his immune system is as well. The feet pushed out for balance is the Old Rat Tripod...they do it for support because they are unable to sit up on those hind feet anymore. I have seen weight loss like that in oldies, but until he shows more symptoms there's not a lot you can do.

His extremities are warm and "pink"? The HED first symptoms are a twitch in the toes...after you see the rumba walk. Forget HED out of the whole scenario.

Should I try another med? or just keep him on the high dose of baytril right now(he just finished his 6 wk course on regular dosing + doxy 2 days ago (but this labourd breathing is not new)? ..his extrimities are nice & warm/pink.

HED: twitch in the toes? rumba walk? forget HED? ..this is all a just words to me :wallbang:

He has started waddling recenctly ..like his back legs don't want to work right.

Well, he finished his 6 week course 2 days ago of baytril + doxy (both normal dosing) ..but this labourd breathing is not new, started about a week or a little more (when his aging started fast) ago while he was still on the meds. But like I said his lungs are clear, his eyes are clear ..he was put on the meds Easter weekend after he was dehydrated, bad sounding lungs and laboured breathing ..and all of the symptoms did go away ..but now he has the laboured breathing again ..and he just wants to be out on the couch with me, all he dose is cuddle with me ..but in his cage he is going around ..so on and so on ..and soon as I open the door he flys out at me and climbs the cage to get out (which he has never done ..ever)

I have started him today on the higher dose of baytril just to see if it will help.

& his legs are def not like that!

It's really hard to watch our rats decline.But really at this point, it's either you push for heart meds and if that's out of the question, then it's a matter of making him more comfortable. We all have to go through that when our rats have poor genes and have chronic illnesses. It really sucks. :(

jorats said:
It's really hard to watch our rats decline.But really at this point, it's either you push for heart meds and if that's out of the question, then it's a matter of making him more comfortable. We all have to go through that when our rats have poor genes and have chronic illnesses. It really sucks. :(

Heart meds are a no go in my vets books ..he finds them to hard on other parts of the body.

I don't think heart meds would do much more at this point other than stress him out trying to get him to take them + I know PT is in his near future ..just like his sister.

I have a hard decision to make soon ..Both Toby and Oscar are going downhill ..both suck at breathing, both loosing too much weight ..I know they have had the best lives they could have with their crappy genes ..

oh my :sad3:

Renee, I don't remember if you mentionned giving booster to your crew? If Shelagh is right and his immune system is weakening, this could help him get a little better. Maybe even help with the breathing...

It's a herbal supplement ..Victoria gets it from her vet, I thin Jorats had it before too.

Oscar just had some with his baby cereal, I'll keep giving it to him once a day, I hope it helps him ..if not then it's up to me :(

Shelagh - I do get Booster from my vet, but now, Victoria orders it from here: https://www.healthybird.net/store/index ... h3du66mtb4

This is the avian trademark, but I emailed Healx and they confirmed it was the exact same product.

Here the Booster page: http://www.healx.co.uk/booster.html

It cleared recurrent breathing noises from Mac within a day, and gave life back to my old Picolo for a few months - he got more energy, his coat got really soft and shiny after being hard and rough... I am a total advocate. I know I keep bringing it up here, but the difference it made in Mac and Picolo just blew me away - literally.

Thank you Nancy ..how much did you give your guys?

Also ..Oscar refuses to go in, I mean I put him in the cage and he actually throws himself back out the door onto me, I have a job trying to close the door :(

Ratty Momma said:
Thank you Nancy ..how much did you give your guys?

Also ..Oscar refuses to go in, I mean I put him in the cage and he actually throws himself back out the door onto me, I have a job trying to close the door :(

if you can keep him with you, or set up a little sleeping area for him on a couch, bed or desk near you.

Back