Oreo really lethargic

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks SQ...
My only hope is that she doesn't suffer long. There is supposedly an emergency vet which supposedly has seen rats before in Tampa. That's about an hour and a half away, and I have no car- parents won't drive us. I don't even know if that would help, or if she would make the trip...

Cuddle her, love her, be with her and her friends and as lilspaz68 said try to keep her warm and as comfortable as possible ...............
hope she doesn't suffer

Thanks again guys...
I put her back in the cage for now. She's breathing very heavily, I'm hoping she'll go soon- this is terrible to see.

If by some miracle she survives to 7:30am.... should I rush her to the vet and ask for dex and fluid injections? Should I just have her pts?

See how she is and what you and your vet think ....

IMO,
If her neuro problem is this aggressive, nothing will help except humanely putting her to sleep
If her condition is mostly due to dehydration and the neuro issue isn't extremely aggressive then it might be worth trying sub-Q fluids, dex and bromo
as long as her condition improves enough that she can swallow/eat

Godmother has had at least one rat at deaths door from pt that revived and did very well for months on bromo and pred (& baytril)

In case you need this .... http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7652

I've been there too .... {{{hugs}}}

Last edited:
See how she is and what you and your vet think ....

IMO,
If her neuro problem is this aggressive, nothing will help except humanely putting her to sleep
If her condition is mostly due to dehydration and the neuro issue isn't extremely aggressive then it might be worth trying sub-Q fluids, dex and bromo
as long as her condition improves enough that she can swallow/eat

Godmother has had at least one rat at deaths door from pt that revived and did very well for months on bromo and pred (& baytril)

In case you need this .... http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7652

I've been there too .... {{{hugs}}}
Thanks SQ. :(
My rat Matilda just died from PT on Monday. She lived *very* happily with it for 9 months. It's horrible, two rats in one week...

And don't worry, my vet puts to sleep correctly... gas anesthetic first, then injection, the owners can be present the whole time... etc.

I'm giving it one more go. I'm going to try and force pred and bromo into her.

I got pred and bromo in her right after that last post. I tried to force some water too, but she maybe got a couple drops, nothing more. I'm praying the meds kick in...

Baby Oreo just passed....
She gasped for air two or three times, and then just lay down and slowly her heart and her breathing stopped.

I'm so sorry. You did all that you could, and you were with her. It is always so hard to go through this, especially on the heels of a recent loss. They are together in Heaven, always loving you for your kind care. Please take care.

I'm so sorry Oreo went downhill so quickly and passed. Your two girls will keep each other company at the Bridge, telling each other happy stories of their life with you.
:hugs:

I'm so sorry for your loss! After all you went through with her last surgery this just doesn't seem fair - especially after just losing Matilda... :mouse1np1:

:roseopen: RIP beautiful Oreo!

Thank you everyone...
It's very sad and the past few days have been hard. I'm just taking a few days off and cuddling Ratatouille all day... she's all alone, but, doesn't seem to be depressed yet...

Thank you everyone...
It's very sad and the past few days have been hard. I'm just taking a few days off and cuddling Ratatouille all day... she's all alone, but, doesn't seem to be depressed yet...
So what is your plan for Ratatouille? How old is she? Are you going to get her some company?

So what is your plan for Ratatouille? How old is she? Are you going to get her some company?
Unfortunately, I can't get any more rats for the next few years. I'm(hopefully) off to college in under a year, and, I cannot take such a large responsibility on without a guarantee that I can keep and pay for their whole lives... obviously that might not be possible as a college student.

Ratatouille is either 2 years old, or almost 2 years old. It is saddening to see her alone... Oreo was her sister, and they spent every moment from birth together. She seems to be taking it well so far.
As heartbreaking as it is to see my baby all alone, the only options I have are to keep her alone or to give her to someone with friends for her...

Back