Oreo really lethargic

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aida

Hi everyone.

Well, as some of you know, Matilda passed away a few days ago. I guess that one rat heartbreak per week isn't enough, because suddenly, Oreo has become very lethargic. She is just sleeping in the cage, her fur is puffy, and she has porphyrin around her nose. She is also moving slowly, and walking as if "straddling". I've noticed that in the past few days, her stomach has been extra squishy.

She is still eating, and if I let them free range, she runs around the whole room as if normal. Her breathing is normal, no whistling or wheezing, and her eyes are bright but when laying down she has them half closed. For those of you that don't remember, Oreo is my rat that had the inguinal tumor removed over two months ago: http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29812&page=30

What the F could this be? >_<

Vet is closed today, but if this doesn't improve I'm going to try to make an appointment for tomorrow.

How old is she? I have a very old rat right now in the same situation. She has a few tumors though and has lost some mobility so watch for that. I'm sorry you're going through this, I hope she pulls through

She is nearing 2 years old. Apart from that tumor that was removed, she has recovered long ago and is perfectly healthy now. Lilspaz, I will take the video now and upload it during break at work.

She is nearing 2 years old. Apart from that tumor that was removed, she has recovered long ago and is perfectly healthy now. Lilspaz, I will take the video now and upload it during break at work.

Hm my girl is almost 4 so I'm guessing it wouldn't be your girls age. But she might just be slowing down now. I hope everything works out :hug4:

Oh no not Oreo!!! After all she's been through - was she related to Matilda cause unfortunately PT runs in the family genes... I've definitely picked up fluffed fur in a rat that doesn't look well means they are sick - I just recently started putting two and two together. Throttle fluffs his fur when he's not feeling well - which unfortunately is a lot lately.

I hope your not going to realize heart break twice in a week, month, year, etc. Believe me I know the feeling we lost Grumpy and Bumbles in the same week....

Healing vibes and well wishes from all of us!

Uploading video now, but it's going slow as a snail.

Jorats, I was thinking abdominal too. Now that I took this video though, I'm dreading that it might be PT. She isn't related to Matilda in any way. Vet tomorrow, but, I'm just so upset. I'm not ready to do this, so soon, again.

SQ I did the pinch test, comes back negative. I offered water in a dish, she sniffed but didn't drink any. I just gave her baby food and she is licking that up.

If she normally looks as bright and active as her friend, you're right she does look "off". Wobbly, and dozy...you might be looking at another PT but the symptoms are just beginning. I am not seeing any signs of pain, just lack of balance on her part.

The vet appointment is for tomorrow.

This morning her fur was normal and she was bright, but later became all squishy. Even if it's PT, I'm feeling optimistic as it just now started and Matilda did so well. I'm scared that she is in pain, so you saying that she isn't is such a relief! I do have metacam on hand, however, just in case...

Got home and it's so much worse. She is currently worse than Matilda was at her worst, even at the very end. The vet appointment is for tomorrow, and I don't even know if anything can be done by then. She refuses to drink, even after I offered her pretty much straight apple juice(mixed with just a bit of water). She is dehydrated now, and can't even walk- just rolls around. What do I do?

I have bromocriptine, expired prednisolone, trimeth/sulfa, and metacam on hand... I can run to the store and get ensure or baby food or something(what I think I will do to try and make her eat/drink)...
Uploading another video now(excuse the bra/textbooks/pants in the corner, I was paying attention to absolutely nothing).

Can you get your vet to give you pred (and antibiotic) or phone in a prescription to a drugstore for you to pick up tonight?
Pred + an antibiotic like baytril will help most neuro problems to some extent by reducing inflammation

Can you give sub_Q fluids?
or tiny amounts of fluid by syringe into the side of her mouth?
(ensure or organic soy infant formula if you have them as fluid+ nutrition)

SQ, my vet has been closed for hours and I don't know her personal number. I have prednisolone, a couple weeks expired. Should I give that a shot?

I don't think there is anything else that can be done. I just cuddled her for two or three hours, she's limp and getting cold. Her heart/breath rate is awkward. She's not moving for a long time, and then suddenly staggers to change positions, then stops again. I tried syringing metacam and chocolate ensure into her, she's refusing to swallow.

She may be unable to swallow .....

You would need to ask lilspaz68 about the expired pred .... or contact the vet on call and ask on the phone.

The only thing I can think of that might make a difference is sub-Q fluids if her condition is this bad because of dehydration,
if it is because of the neuro problem. I am afraid that it may be too late to do anything.

I am sorry, sometimes pt/neuro issues progress so fast that nothing can help
I'm sorry {{{HUGS}}} to you both

Back