New Young Ratty Family - New Pics 01/01

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking from experience with a few of these types of birds, I can give you two names for sure:

Monkey Ears, or one of her moms, is definitely a Swallow - my grandmother has barn swallows, and they fly incredibly fast, all the while being very very agile. When you described her as a runner that's the type of bird I thought of, lol

The black Irish rex girl should be Phoebe - there's one nesting pair that comes back year after year to nest on the light by what is technically my grandmother's front door - but because phoebes are so shy, we never use that door except occasionally in winter. They're actually very gorgeous green birds with a silver/white belly, they chirp 'phoebe', and they dip their tails very rhythmically whenever they're sitting on a fence or something like that.

For the smooth coated girl, I think Sparrow suits very well - sparrows *are* very friendly as a rule, they might not take food from your hand but they don't mind hopping near you to get to crumbs. :)

And, this is just a gut feeling, I think the 'Little Pink Beastie' ;) would make a wonderful Linnet!

Now, for the boys... that's a tougher one. I like Merlin and Tern for them, but that's just me, lol

Of course, you have the final say!

lilspaz68 said:
dec27Pinky.jpg

Oh, little pink nakee girl! So jealous! :love5: :kisses:

Squeeeeeeee!

M0onkist said:
Speaking from experience with a few of these types of birds, I can give you two names for sure:

Monkey Ears, or one of her moms, is definitely a Swallow - my grandmother has barn swallows, and they fly incredibly fast, all the while being very very agile. When you described her as a runner that's the type of bird I thought of, lol

The black Irish rex girl should be Phoebe - there's one nesting pair that comes back year after year to nest on the light by what is technically my grandmother's front door - but because phoebes are so shy, we never use that door except occasionally in winter. They're actually very gorgeous green birds with a silver/white belly, they chirp 'phoebe', and they dip their tails very rhythmically whenever they're sitting on a fence or something like that.

For the smooth coated girl, I think Sparrow suits very well - sparrows *are* very friendly as a rule, they might not take food from your hand but they don't mind hopping near you to get to crumbs. :)

And, this is just a gut feeling, I think the 'Little Pink Beastie' ;) would make a wonderful Linnet!

Now, for the boys... that's a tougher one. I like Merlin and Tern for them, but that's just me, lol

Of course, you have the final say!

You missed the mom's they need names too :) I was thinking of Phoebe for the smaller shyer mom, and Wigeon for the baby black berk runner...Widgie for short :giggle: But it was just a passing thought. Phoebe is a nicer name to grow up with.

OK Mom's need names too...help?

I did like Merlin and Tern for the 2, Merlin being the rex.

LoL, my Petrie wouldn't mind, lol - she was named after the Land Before Time series. I think Petrel probably suits better than Curlew, which would probably work best for a rex, lol

I very much like Wigeon and Veery for the mamas. :D

Godmother said:
Great bird names! You have found pretty much all of the bird names that sound nice. If you need more ideas for the mamas, what about Flicker, Robin, Puffin, Dove?

The Abandoned Babies are Puffin, Hawk, Robin and Dove :giggle:

Godmother said:
:giggle: Oh, well, time for another try? How about Raven, Chouette, or Wagtail? Gannet?

HAHAHAHA...they've already been named!

Pink One - Linnet
black standard coat berk - Sparrow
black irish rex - Phoebe
black berk rex - Swallow

Mom 1 with big white belly, licky tongue and a bit more nervous - Veery
Mom 2 with smaller berk marking, bigger girl, mucho braver - Wigeon

Standard coat boy - Petrel
rex boy - Merlin

I am going to be combining Milton's story with the new Hamilton family thread as he is now firmly embedded with the 2 baby boys :)

Last night I had them out again...he still has NO clue what those other things are and they worry him a little. I think he doesn't know he's a rat, and is much more comfortable with me.

"Do you have any clue what's going on??"
dec31Milton7.jpg

styrofoam ball is interesting
dec31Milton2.jpg

Family...he's 91 grams and they are 161 and 172 grams :p
dec31babyboys1.jpg

Learning to push a little
dec31babyboys3.jpg

This morning, typical hiding Milty
jan111Miltonsnose.jpg

Time for sleepyhead to have a drink
jan111Miltonsleepyboy.jpg

Merlin and Petrel say Good Morning! :mrgreen:
jan1aaMerlinandPetrel.jpg

Merlin's the ham today :D
jan111Merlin2.jpg

jan111Merlin4.jpg

jan1aaMerlin1.jpg

Petrel and Milton
jan111PetrelandMilton.jpg

The a lightbulb went off in Milton's head and he became a Baby Rat :giggle: he started pouncing on the bigger baby boys and they let him win everytime...only a couple weeks older than him but acting like good adults :lol:
jan111MiltonridingPetrel.jpg

He is now sleeping in the open with them and happy as can be. :heart:

Back