New to rats and new rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I'm not an expert by any means but he looks kind of small for 4 months old. Maybe my babies have had a little too many treats :cheerful: and it can be hard to tell their size when they aren't beside something, but he looks a little younger.

And although I would always push for a rescue if you cannot find someone on craigslist or a rescue in the area (petfinder may help) than I would suggest going to the petstore and finding a little male. My babies were suppose to be feeder rats and are so sweet and lovable. But if you can I would defiantly look for either a rescue or see if someone has one they don't want anymore.

I'm just going by what I was told.. From the people that gave him to me.. He could be younger size comparison he's actually not that much bigger than my Syrian hamster right now

Well I moved him out of the living room made room in my bedroom for him and seems to be working well cause he will actually come to the door now and come out some

Well I moved him out of the living room made room in my bedroom for him and seems to be working well cause he will actually come to the door now and come out some

That's great to hear, my boys who are still young and like to have a little corner space for them so they feel more secure. And treats are a great way to get him to come out more :)

And that sounds like a tiny 4 month old and maybe the vet can judge more on his age but its not too important since he's still growing so at least you know he's a young little guy.

Are you going to get him a friend soon?

He's about 4 hours a way from me that's rather far.. I found out threw a friend that one her friends got two rats from a pet store and they told her that they were both males well they weren't and one had babies so I believe said their 2 and 1\2 months old she's going see if she has any males praying 😁 ... Also I put my hand in the cage now to out food in or a treat and he chases my fingers around that normal? I'm so new to rats lol

Oh okay hehe sorry I'm not familiar with NY at all. ;)
Oh fingers crossed that there is a male baby for you!!

Aww he's trying to play with you. Many rats like to chase hands and try to play with them. You can pretend your hand is a rat and chase him around too and pet him, etc.

Awesome I though he was playing but I wasn't sure... He did get my finger once tho good thing don't hurt like a hamster or guinea pig but then again I been beaten by my snakes on a few occasion so not much bothers me lol... He did it really quick tho not hard then he came right back and started chasing my hand again I was walking my fingers around in the cage

You will know it if he bites you and "means it" cause you will likely be bleeding ha!
Rats use their teeth a lot... kind of like another set of paws.
That's sweet he wants to play though. Definitely needs a cute friend. The more the merrier! :3

I might just break down n drive to Petco hour Alf away I called them they have two males in their adoption section someone brought in they told me I could get both of them for one price they want them to go together

If you have available funds most of us here would really recommend the Critter Nation. It is a breeze to clean, which is usually the most frustrating thing about a cage. Just remember you will need at least 8 square feet for the three of them.

Yea my fund are very limited right now my dog is currently going threw cancer treatments and its costing me a good amount I'm trying to get my friend to give me his old rat cage

Well I got Casper 3 friends 2 boys and one girl all are fixed so no babies all getting along great and are in as new double unit critter nation but though I'd say bye cause I'm off this forum so wish everyone the best thanks for a little information on this topic

Back