New to rats and new rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyanimalladyny

I got him for a early Christmas present (didn't know about it)... He's friendly he doesn't bite or anything but I've had him here for about 5 days now and he eats and drinks when no one is around but other than that he just stays in a corner..
a3cb30591994f95068d9e2275395dff6.jpg

This is him dumbo rat male names Casper

I'm a little worried cause he doesn't seem to want anything to do with anything.. And just stays in a corner

Welcome!

The first thing people of the rat shack will tell you is that that cutie needs a friend! Rats are extremely social and it can actually be considered detrimental to their well being to live alone. As for his shyness, a friend would help that too, but so will time. It may take him a few weeks to come out of his shell. Another rattle would speed things along!

Hi and welcome!

Yes, he definitely needs a buddy. Rats are social creatures. At his young age he should bond well with another young rat.
He is a very handsome little lad. Are you sure he is a dumbo?

Welcome, definitely get him a buddy. He's probably scared being in a new place and alone. Your going to love be a rat parent...

As I was told he was a dumbo and about 4 months old... I believe the reason why I ended up with him is cause my friends bought him and cause he didn't open up right away they didn't want him any more and pushed him off to me as a "Christmas Gift" cause they knew I would take him and keep him ... I was going to but around me I can't find any where that has a male rat that's young.... Pet stores say they only have females and feeders..

You will also want to confirm his sex - male rats have very prominent testicles. You will want to confirm the sex of the Buddy you get for him too before you start introductions.

Isn't Hopefloats in New York?
ETA: nope, sorry, Indiana...

Last edited:
He's a real cutie and he sounds quite scared. He's not a dumbo but he is a rex. Once you know for sure he's a male, you really must get him a baby buddy to play with. That will help him feel more secure and be healthy.

How old is your little guy? If he's under 2 months old, you could probably just add a young friend with him in his cage. Make sure the new guy is under 2 months old as well. Also, make sure you save some money for a bigger cage. Hamster cage are absolutely too small for rats, even for one rat.

I'll try .. And yes I know he's in a hamster cage right now until my guinea pig cage comes and Casper will be coming in the old guinea pig cage once we makes the holes smaller

Back