New owner been lurking and wanted to say hello

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jems71

Hello, I am new to owning rats. just got 2 baby girls they are about 6weeks now and very tiny little darlings.
I have been lurking a bit reading some posts and wish I had found this site like 2-3weeks ago!
My Babies were purchased not adopted or rescued...Please I do not need a lecture I already know pets stores= bad...and rescuing/adopting much better...
I have volunteered at the local shelter here on and off for years...the past 5-6yrs have been mostly off due to health and work...makes me sad that I have not been helping the ones in need much...but my kids are getting older and my health mre stable so maybe we as a family will be able to start doing more with the shelter again.
So I have 2 babies I was told were Dbl rex...they have very little fur and short curled wiskers.
Their names started off as Sherman and Hugo...my daughter so wanted boys...but I was pretty sure these were girls...and had some advice from goosemoose and looks like they are girls...who now when I look carefully I can see their nipples...still not very visable...maybe due to lack of fur...I dunno...
We are looking into getting a single level critter nation cage...when I put the dimensions in to he cage calculator it tells me it can house 9 rats...is it really that big? Not that I want or will have 9 rats but looking at ones that are in need of homes on this forum who knows what will happen in a few months...haha!
Our family consists of:
Mom-Dad-3 Girls ages 9 to 18
3 dogs 2 were rescued from vets/shelter
2 cats both from shelter
1 bearded dragon from breeder
1 RES turtle rescued from terrible living conditions
3 gold fish that the turtle decided not to eat and now are his tank mates
and now our newest 2 baby ratties...new girl names are now Lucy (for little Lucy licker) and Diamond...got the ratties last week around when Lucy Vodden passed away, my youngest had already named the little one Lucy...but were up in the air on the 2nd ones name....one night we were discussing the story behind Lucy Vodden(Julian Lennons preschool friend)...and listened to the Beatles Lucy in the sky with diamonds...and my child decided the other ones name should be Diamond...Made perfect sense to me...right?
We also decided that we would try to get to NYC next year for 30th anniversary of John Lennon's death. Kids are more excited about that than the Orlando Disney trip we went in last spring...lol
Anyway glad I was referred to this place from someone on goosemoose.
Thank you!
and I now know where I can look for rescues in need if and when I have room...but for now we have our two little girls who are a joy...
Looking forward to learning from you all.

Hi Jems71...Your little girls sound beautiful. I am so glad you have found your way to the Rat Snack.....I know you will love it here.

The new critter nation is as big as a ferret nation....so a single will hold 5 rats.
It would be a perfect cage for two little girls....lots of play room.....and you will love the big doors....perfect for interacting and playing with rats.

Oh it will hold 5 rats...well...lets not tell the kids this...cause they have decided next to dogs Rats is the best! haha! Do get me wrong they love their kitties and reptiles but Rats like to play with you!
And like me if they knew there was room for them to be happy healthy they would be looking to rescue a cpl...but for now I have told them we only have room for 2...and I am not so sure I would change that even when I do get the CN. I have sooo much on my plate now...kids and hubby are huge help of course its a family thing.

It might actually hold 6....now that I think about it....but 5 would be a nice number.
Two is a nice start........I wouldn't be in a big rush to add more until you are ready.....
but I hope you realize they are addictive.....most of us on here have more then 5......some a lot more then 5!!!!
Where are you located?

I am in New Brunswick...
My first real experience with Rats was way back 1989-1990 at he NSAC, my first year of Animal Health Tech(not completed due to illness)...worked in the lab cleaning cages and feeding and what not...at first I was not really sure about rats but some of those ones won my heart...never owned any until now...and only because my youngest has been proving to us she can help with pets for about a year now...and when she saw someone with rats at a pets in the park day over the summer she decided a rat would be a good alternative to a Chihuahua...LOL
so now we have two wee girlies...and the more I read and the more I remember the rats in the lab that were happiest and friendliest were in small groups of 3 or more...seemed the lone rats and the only 2 in a pair were not as friendly...but that was a long time ago and I could be having messed up memories.
I think we will let these girls live out their cpl years and maybe try boys next...in a cpl yrs...my daughter wated boys cause she heard they were bigger and lazier and would just lay around with you...rather than constant running...lol

Hi,

You made it! :thumbup:

NB is inundated with rats needing homes when you decide you need more (the sayings are "Rats are like potato chips, you cannot just have one" and the affliction is GGMr (Gotta Get More Rats) and can be quite painful. :wink2: )

I have always found groups of 3 or more are happiest. :)

Btw I know you have to figure out the camera deal, but until then we will be waited with bated breath for pics of your new sweeties :heart:

Oh the camera thing...yes...
I can post pics here no prob, got battries...and took some last night...just was in no hurry to bow down to the almighty that demanded them o the other site... they will have to wait...lol

I will get the pics off the camera onto this laptop today and post them in a little while.

Hey! Welcome, I'm glad to see you made it here! I saw that lilspaz (Shelagh) made the suggestion to you for trying this forum.

Pretty cool that you rescued a RES! I rescued some fish. Long story. I love to hear about rescues. Makes my heart feel good to know there are people who DO care about animals.

Anita

OK here are some recent pics.
Here is Little Lucy trying to steal my ring as she always does:
100_3102.jpg

100_3101.jpg

Here she is licking another favorite thing to do:
100_3103.jpg

Love those little ears down...reminds me of my youngest dog trying to make up to you when he has done somthing wrong...hahaha!

Here is Diamond she is always the first out of the cage:
100_3099.jpg

100_3093.jpg

And this is their home (for now) Living World Rat Resort hoping to get a CN or FN in the next month or two.
100_3094.jpg

And here they are cleaning up getting ready for nap, this was with in the first cpl days of having them, Diamond is almost twice the size of Lucy...and still is!
100_3073.jpg

:welcome4: to the Shack! Your ratties are adorable. And you already got a good licking photo! Congrats.

It's hard to keep to two (I think five or six is the ideal number, but lately I can't stay under ten :) ), but you have a lot of other things to keep you busy!

Back