New 'boys' are girls!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SterlingRats0408

I am a new rat owner, adopted 2 today. 1 dumbo rat `Sterling`and a hooded rat `Peach`
I am experienced with basic rat care as I work on the Pet Care team at Petsmart. But new to owning them.
Sterling - He is over 1.5yrs (born Jan. 2012) Was a breeder male, still unaltered.
He is very grabby with food.
He has 1 sort of sunken in, red around the edge. He has grey sort of rough fur. His head is tilted, and he is very unbalanced.
I got him from an over zealous BYB Who also had chinese hamsters and hedgehogs and GPs.
Him and he Female Peach bred once, and had 8 babies. Since then they have been unsuccessful hense the adoption.
Peach - born March 2013 bred once to Sterling, 8 pups (as stated above) Mostly white/beige with a small amount of chocolate brown on her nose and the base of her tail. She is friendly but not well handled, she is already coming along with me. Groomed my face tonight and ate crackers & a little popcorn with me. She pooped on me, and I know a small amount of urine is a sign of affection, what about poop?
She is gentle 99% of the time with taking food by hand, unless its small and one of her faves.

They are caged separately as I don't want to risk babies!
The cages are MINIMAL W25xD15inxH16in One house per, 1 bowl, 1 water bottle
I am going out tomorrow to get more cage accessories!!! They were 2 days early getting to me so I was a little unprepared.

Any help with how to control grabbing food, potty training (peach only) and what might be up with Sterlings odd characteristics

I would encourage you to take Sterling to the vet's as he probably has an inner ear infection, hence the head tilt.
I would also encourage you to get either one or the other neutered, so they can live together.
For grabby animals, always push the food towards them, so much so that they have to back up a step. NEVER pull the food away - that's what causes the grabbing. If they are enthusiastic and grab your finger by mistake, just wait a few seconds and they will figure it out. If they are pulling on your finger enough that it hurts, squeak loudly so they know there is something you're objecting to.
Young rats will often pee or poop on you, but as they get older, they don't any more. Peach may just not be used to being out and handled, and will probably get better as she gets used to being out with you. Rats also will 'fear' poop if they are scared. This poop is easy to recognise as it is VERY stinky! If it is just regular poop, she will get better the more you handle her.
Congratulations on your new ratties! It sounds like they really need a forever home, and you're it!

Thank you for all your wonderful suggestions!!
Neither Rat has been well handled, the lady was terrified of them biting and she was showing me the treats Sterling likes and she jumps back every time he took the treat so he is probably used to having to lunge forward a little bit. Today was MUCH better already, I didn't let go when he tried to snatch the treat. So he pulled a little and when he backed up and opened his mouth I gave it to him with a bit YES Sterling! He bit my finger once but I squeaked and he backed up!

They do know their names...though Peach needs a little more encouragement in responding to it. She is not food motivated to do things, when she is exploring, food is the last thing she wants. Any suggestions for treats? I have popcorn and yogurt drops, I've tried peas, digestive crackers...nothing seems to pique her interest.
I have another female coming to me from a coworker, so Peach will have a friend soon!!!
Keeping my eyes and ears open for another male for Sterling!

I'm glad to hear they are responding already!
SterlingRats0408 said:
Keeping my eyes and ears open for another male for Sterling!
I would recommend getting Sterling neutered instead. Then you won't have to worry about accidents, and Sterling gets to have his own harem. :D

Hey guys. I'm having trouble trying to pin point some unusual behaviours. Peach who is now 14 mos approx is acting strange. She's normally feisty and lively and go go go. Over the last 3-4 days she has been slowing down, sleeping more, more poryphorin (sp?) Around her eyes in the morning and she's not taking food as energetically. Is this old age or something else possibly? Just seems to be developing rather quickly. Her breathing is shallow but no wheezing or sneezing

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Her best friend Sterling passed away a little over 2 weeks ago. Is it maybe depression? She's maybe noticed a change in our routine?

It could be depression, or it could be some sort of health problem which the extra-stress forced to surface.

Either way, porphyrin isn't a normal sign of old age, and you should really take her in to be seen by a vet-- especially since it happened to quickly. Try doing the "cheerio" test on her. Give her a small food about the size and thickness of a cheerio(so very easy to hold), and see how she holds it. If she holds it with her paws resting on the ground, or cannot hold it normally at all in her front paws, then she could have a pituitary tumor and will need medication.

Could you post a video of her?

I have to agree with Aida, PT is the first thing I thought of, but only because I thought my Curley was depressed too and didn't think too much of it until the more obvious signs/symptoms slapped me in the hand, but unfortunately by then it was too late for my boy.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=35224&hilit=+curley

Didn't you get more ratties? It could very well be depression if she is alone, but the porphyrin eyes is what immediately reminded me of Curley. Healing vibes to your baby and I'll pray it not PT :heart: :heart:

Thanks for the support! She won't take anything from me. She doesn't want any of her faves. She just held her yogie with her mouth and fell asleep like that. I will try and get a vet appt tomorrow. :( I'm so worried about her. She has companions in her cage. But play times have been different since Sterling passed and we brought in the new girls.

Yes, for sure get that vet tomorrow if she isn't eating. When was the last time she ate? Drank?

Check for dehydration by performing a "pinch" test:
Pinch the skin on the back of the neck and pull up(this is a loose, large amount of skin similar to what cats have). When you let go, the skin should snap back quickly and easily. If it slowly slips back or stays up for a while, your girl is dehydrated and you will need to syringe-feed her water, watered down foods, or fruit juice. Try lots of soft foods or watery foods and see if she will take those...

She ate last night. She had her dinner and snacks. But today she was out of it completely. She had been acting more distant over the weekend but I figured it had to do with my parents visiting and her not really liking visitors.

SterlingRats0408 said:
He has 1 sort of sunken in, red around the edge.
I'm confused by this, what is sunken in? I'm going to assume an eye? Far as the head tilt & balance I'm assuming inner ear infection if he's young. A vet can diagnose and medicate. Far as his 'grabby' sounds like you've had some helpful advice and as his trust grows so hopefully will that behaviour lessen.
Far as Peach this is something more serious than emotional. They don't act sick unless they can't help it cause that makes them appear to be easy prey. And grief would have started sooner.. The hydration & cheerio tests are a your best start (good advice Aida!). Sounds like both your babes need a vet checkup. Hugs to you for taking them and giving them the best chances at a good life!

Yeah, I'm really sorry about that, I forgot to mention. Poor little baby, I'm sure he's playing hard at the bridge. <3

As for Peach, did you try the cheerio and the dehydration test on her?

I am at work. Will be home within the hour to check on her. Fiance made her as comfy as possible in a fleece blanket as she is extremely cold to the touch as well.

Extremely cold to the touch is very worrying! Try and keep her warm with a heating pad or hot water bottle - as long as she can move away from it if she gets too hot.
It sounds like she may be going into shock or is very ill.
Sometimes when you bring new rats into the home, they carry with them new viruses that your girl may not have been exposed to, and may be vulnerable to.
I really hope she will be OK...

Oh no, that is very bad!

Let us know how she is doing when you get home, take a video or something. Is she also lethargic? You may have to feed her something like ensure or boost when you get home(nutrition, milky-like drinks) if she is in such a bad state, so it might be a good idea to pick some up on the way.

Back