New adoptee & hoarding case update!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kimber said:
I might get flamed, but if I was there I would have picked them up by the base of their tails too...they had an enoromous number of rats to move quickly and it wasn't like they were carrying them around by their tails; it was a quick transport and into the cages. Also I would be more concerned that in that situation with the rats struggling, you'd have more risk of someone squeezing them too hard trying to hold them long enough.
*Winces* I knew that the folks were going to get a bunch of criticism for the tail grabbing. You along with jorats and rat.charmer hit the nail on the head though. Too many rats, and too little time.

I wish they could have been able to put up a "don't do this at home" disclaimer, but apparently the Human Society got all the editing rights, not the rescue.

One thing I really don't like about the way Hoarders runs the show is that everything is so darn rushed - not only did they have to get the rats out in two days, but they had to squeeze in personal therapy for Glen and attempt to clean up his house too.

I think that these shows can be more harmful than helpful in a lot of cases, for the people any way.
but the animals def benefit from being out of the house and in a place where they can be properly cared for.

I don't watch this show very often because I just can't understand a hoarder, and I feel like smacking most of them up side the head. ( I know, they have a mental illness, bla, bla, bla, politically incorrect...) This guy Glen actually seemed to be the most sensible person I have seen so far. I feel such sympathy for him, as his grief for his wife basically overwhelmed him. I really, really hope he manages to get help so he can move past his grief and start living his life again.

Joanne said:
I don't watch this show very often because I just can't understand a hoarder, and I feel like smacking most of them up side the head. ( I know, they have a mental illness, bla, bla, bla, politically incorrect...) This guy Glen actually seemed to be the most sensible person I have seen so far. I feel such sympathy for him, as his grief for his wife basically overwhelmed him. I really, really hope he manages to get help so he can move past his grief and start living his life again.

Haha I completely agree.

Yeah, it's sad how negatively rats are seen in general... ::sighs::

Tim, my boyfriend, pointed out an interesting (tangential) exchange: apparently a soccer coach was ragging on a very aggressive, generally horrible player (who at one point illegally dove for the ball with both feet, and broke his opponent's tibia *and* fibula - thankfully got kicked out of the game), and called him *specifically* a "sewer rat" - then apologized for insulting sewer rats, much less domesticated. I think that coach must have a couple of rats at home - it seems like the kind of thing only a rat lover would take care to distinguish.

Yep, it was PetSmart that donated the cages. I work there-- and we had a print out in our communications binder today telling us all about this case. They donated well over $42,000 worth of supplies apparently. Pretty awesome of them, I think.

As for the FN cages-- at least they tried, right?

Muffin said:
Yep, it was PetSmart that donated the cages. I work there-- and we had a print out in our communications binder today telling us all about this case. They donated well over $42,000 worth of supplies apparently. Pretty awesome of them, I think.

As for the FN cages-- at least they tried, right?

WOW.. that was super awesome of them!!!! :joy:

Joanne said:

I love to watch it....but I feel the same way. I try very hard to understand....but by the end of the show I could "smack them in the head" The people who work with them and help them having amzing patience...I think that is what I like to watch....it amazes me they can stay so calm....and helpfull...
I also felt sorry for Glen....he did seem like a nice guy....who got way in over his head....and at least he allowed those people to help him and the rats.....now the lady with the cats...she needs a smack!

That's why I stopped watching the show. In the beginning it did look like they were being helped but now it's just ridiculous. One woman had two houses full of garbage. That did it for me. I'm wondering if it's "made up" so they get more of an audience.

I can't watch the show, but for opposite reasons then those mentioned. My family has a LONG history of hoarding... but it is what I would call "clean hoarding". There is no dirty garbage or feces or animals. They hoard stuff. Clean margarine containers - just BOXES of them, clean meat styrofoam trays, other people's (and their) old, discarded furniture, etc etc. I have had to clean out many a house in a state such as this.

Watching Hoarders just stresses me out. It makes me think of how I could become, how my family members were and how they lived. Its not just dirtiness that hurts, its overcrowding as we see in many of these cases, just being completely overwhelmed in stuff. I see aspects of myself in many of the hoarding cases and thats terrifying. I know I will never let it get to that point with stuff, but I can't help but think if I get busy with other aspects of my life, it could happen.

I truely feel bad for this man even though I have only seen a couple clips. Both beucase he had to give up his rats which he seemed to love very much, but also because I know what it feels like to be in way over your head and not know which way is up anymore.

I guess I should qualify that really it's the DIRTY hoarders that I have a problem with. Some people collect stuff, and I can see that. But when you have mountains of garbage and feces in your house, there is no excuse. My house is not filled with garbage because I put the garbage out. I clean the dishes, I put the rotten food in the compost. If my dog barfs on the floor, I clean it up. Those hoarders are not hoarders, they are just L*A*Z*Y! And yes, I have several hoarders in my family, both 'clean' hoarders and 'dirty' hoarders...

I watched this episode last night . . . I actually watch this show all the time and for the first time, I cried at an episode. Even though Glen had a huge problem, mentally and in terms of numbers, he was actually the most genuine, cooperative and selfless person I have seen on this show. There was quite a difference between him and the lady with the cats who refused help. I hope all the best for him and he gets the help he needs . . . I am scared for the day when his lone rat passes away . . . as that may set him back again.

Interesting... I'm surprised to see so many people so digusted with Hoarders. I definitely don't think their just "lazy"... I call it a disease because that's exactly what it is.
To me, putting them down is like saying someone with Leukemia should stop barfing, to be honest. Think of it as someone with anorexia, they don't see their bones the way we do.. just like a hoarder doesn't see their mess the way we do.

Watching Hoarders motivates me to clean my house and throw out old crap I mysekf may have been "hoarding"... Same way "biggest loser" motivates me to work out. Lol

MMak said:
Interesting... I'm surprised to see so many people so digusted with Hoarders. I definitely don't think their just "lazy"... I call it a disease because that's exactly what it is.
To me, putting them down is like saying someone with Leukemia should stop barfing, to be honest. Think of it as someone with anorexia, they don't see their bones the way we do.. just like a hoarder doesn't see their mess the way we do.

The hoarders that collect specific things and are clean hoarders I would agree have a disease but people like the cat lady that wasn't even cleaning up the cat feces or I saw one where they bought another refrigerator rather than throwing out the old rotting food now that's just laziness

Joanne said:
I don't watch this show very often because I just can't understand a hoarder, and I feel like smacking most of them up side the head. ( I know, they have a mental illness, bla, bla, bla, politically incorrect...)
I don't mean to sound snarky at all, but this has to single handedly be the worst thing I have ever seen someone post on here. Hoarding is serious, uncontrollable and heartbreaking to everyone involved, including the hoarder. Do you think if they could wake up one day and stop, they would? These people, most times, would give everything to live a normal life. Until you live it, you really shouldn't pass such harsh comments about it. Just saying. This broke my heart to read someone saying such a thing :(

PitLuvs said:
Joanne said:
I don't watch this show very often because I just can't understand a hoarder, and I feel like smacking most of them up side the head. ( I know, they have a mental illness, bla, bla, bla, politically incorrect...)
I don't mean to sound snarky at all, but this has to single handedly be the worst thing I have ever seen someone post on here. Hoarding is serious, uncontrollable and heartbreaking to everyone involved, including the hoarder. Do you think if they could wake up one day and stop, they would? These people, most times, would give everything to live a normal life. Until you live it, you really shouldn't pass such harsh comments about it. Just saying. This broke my heart to read someone saying such a thing :(
I have several hoarders in my life, and have had to live with one for many, many years. I have had to move a relative that is a hoarder. Do you know what it's like to show up to move someone's belongings - they have to be out of the house in 12 hours - only to have nothing packed and you have to move crap and garbage (a LOT of it) to the new house instead of throwing it out? Throwing things in boxes and garbage bags and just shoving it on a truck. And years later some of those boxes and bags are still sitting in a heap in the hall way or the corner, covered in dog and cat hair?
I'm sick of dealing with it and glad to have my own place where I don't have to. But when it comes time to move the hoarder into a nursing home, it will be absolutely ugly. Because all that crap can't go with them, plain and simple.
I'm not looking forward to that day...
Bleh!

I've never watched the show but will definitely have to give that one a look, although I know most of the info by now.
I had hoarders in my family. My great aunts were horrible for it. I was too young to remember, but when they passed on my parents had to clean out their house as my mom and aunt were in charge of all the affairs and such...Well apparently it was pretty scary. Decades of newspapers tied up in stacks, gifts unwrapped and then put back in the box and tucked under the bed, garbage and decayed food and some live wild rats (and some skeleton remains of others) and all sorts of things...
I worry sometimes I will become a hoarder. I know there is probably a good garbage or two of stuff laying around that I don't need that I just can't get rid of because "one day I might" kind of crap...I could never do it with animals...but junk...yea I feel the need to go clean now...lol

Anywhoo, soooo happy to hear the rescue efforts on this and all the donations and everything going on and I hope the testosterone levels can calm down for all to find happy homes!

They stated later that he still caught 350 more on his own and gave them away too. So they didn't get them all. Can't wait to see an update and how his repair work on the house is going. The rats made a mess and they made a mess getting the rats out.
The cat lady was nuts and gross. Poor cats.
I worry all the time that if I am not careful I would be a collector/hoarder too. And I know my husband would if I didn't put my foot down. He wants to bring stuff home from work all the time with the excuse of "we might need it" We don't have room for stuff we might need 5 years down the road. We can buy it then if we need it.

Back