New adoptee & hoarding case update!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhapsody

A while back ago, some of you folks might have heard of the huge rat hoarding case in southern California where 1000+ rats were pulled. If any of you are really strong of heart, the A&E Hoarders episode of this case will air on January 10th. Not sure if I'll be able to watch it though without getting physically ill.

In any case, the small animal rescue I volunteer with spear-headed the efforts to rehabilitate the ratties and get them ready for adoption ... and yesterday, I finally brought one of them home! Please meet ...

[center:d6vkcb2s]SOPHIE

sophie.jpg
[/center:d6vkcb2s]

She is a very bold 6-week old blue-capped (?) little girl who was born at the rescue. She's currently living in a hamster cage until she's big enough to join my kiddos. I did let my gentlest boy do a quick meet-n-greet with her, and they hit it off really well. Here's hoping that the intros will go smoothly later on. I'm crossing my fingers that she'll grow into a healthy adult, but I'm definitely anticipating future health issues since she is so severely inbred.

Also, a quick update on the hoarding case. Turns out, over 1600 rats were pulled from this hoarder's house ... and only 1100ish were healthy enough to make the trip to the rescue. The rest were so far gone that they had to be euthanisized on the spot. And ever since the rats were brought in, pinkies have been appearing nearly every day - we're hoping that in the next couple of weeks, all the females will have successfully cleared their pregnancy watch. Money is really tight right now, and with the huge number of rats, the rescue can't spay/neuter more than just a handful.

I was able to help out with the rats this week, and I have never seen such a gorgeous variety of ratties - they are every possible color and pattern. Bad thing though, they have all allegedly originated from just one pregnant rat ... and about 40% have high-white markings. We've already had three cases of megacolon at the rescue - two early onset, and one late onset. And Lord knows how many died of the condition before the rats were pulled from the hoarder's house. Words cannot express how horrible I felt when I found a beautiful 5-week dalmation girl with the tell-tale bulging sides. She spent a whole day in my pocket before we had to let her go. Couldn't let her pass on without knowing some love, and without a name too. RIP Abigail.

Here's some pics of just a fraction of the rescued ratties:

[center:d6vkcb2s]ZOMG, BABIES!!!

rescue03.jpg

LOL, there were like twenty girls stuffed in that hammock

rescue04.jpg

Yes, the cages are wrapped in chicken wire. The company who donated the cages (Petsmart?) gave the rescue Ferret Nations, and well, most of the females managed to squeeze out them. Corralling a bunch of loose ratties is NOT fun

rescue01.jpg
[/center:d6vkcb2s]

rhapsody said:
LOL, there were like twenty girls stuffed in that hammock

rescue04.jpg

The one on the bottom of that pile, with nothing but the sweet face poking out... I want :thud:

Congrats on your little sweetheart! What a lucky girl to have come home with you :heart:

My heart breaks for those poor rats, I wish I was there to help.

Such beautiful ratties. I want to give you and everyone involved a big :hugs: for taking in all these ratties and trying to find them homes.

wow 1600 rats....that just blows my mind how someone could get in that deep. Though I suppose it's easy if you never separate the boys from the girls....man that's scary. Those poor rats :(

They're lucky they were pulled and not all euthanized. They sure are cute. Lucky ratties, I hope the rest of them are able to find homes soon.

1,600. Holy Cow. Out of morbid curiosity, I'm going to have to go watch that episode now.

That's just disturbing. I mean, I think there's a little hoarder in all us rat-lovers, but to think that someone would just let that take over completely o_O

So glad you're able to help them! And that you've got your new, sweet little girl!

That was quite a horrific situation. Those poor rats. But it looks like there was plenty of help and stores donating cages, that's amazing.
Sweet sweet rats.

PitLuvs said:
:shock: Ah crap...now I have to watch it, just to see how it ends lol (other the what I already know from on here)

That is RIDICULOUS! And people thought I was crazy when I told them I had 6 lol!

Thanks for the link lilangel! I hope it does get put up somewhere...damn my morbid curiosity lol

I don't want to watch if it was anything like last nights episode of Hoarders... gah I'll be having nightmares about chickens and birds for a while.
And maybe bunnies.

I LOVE Hoarders but don't get it on TV so if someone knows where I can watch it online safely, let me know :)

Zooy said:
I don't want to watch if it was anything like last nights episode of Hoarders... gah I'll be having nightmares about chickens and birds for a while.
And maybe bunnies.

YES! And that guy with the bunnies, I could boot that in the bottom! And the old woman, I was jumping for joy when I seen the AC show up, and boo'd the TV when they sent them away! Urghh! Those poor things!

How tame were the adults who were rescued? In the link they seem pretty ok with him (or at least the fraction we saw on the segment)...the managed to save 1100 from the house, but how many have they ended up with since all the mothers seem to have been pregnant?

Kimber said:
How tame were the adults who were rescued? In the link they seem pretty ok with him (or at least the fraction we saw on the segment)...the managed to save 1100 from the house, but how many have they ended up with since all the mothers seem to have been pregnant?

Actually, 99% of the rats pulled are super people friendly. At the very least, the hoarder did his best to feed and play with them, so the majority of the ratties see people as a good thing. However, there are several handfuls of younglings born at the house that didn't have a chance to have positive interactions with the hoarder, so their first encounter with humans was during the rescue ... and they were a little traumatized by that experience.

However, we are having a huge problem with rat aggression. Most of the males are being housed separately because they are constantly fighting with each other. And its not a I'm-more-dominant-than-you kind of fighting. Its I'm-going-to-tear-your-heart-out-and-kill-you. We've had several very close calls. Every single adult male is missing some chunk of his body - eyes, ears, toes, parts of the tail ... yeah, they're pretty beat up. And since nearly all the medical funds have been directed toward healing injuries and making sure the rats stay alive, not much is left for neutering. The females are much better with other rats from the hoard, but several intros with "outsider" rats did not go well at all.

Er, as far as numbers go ... we've kinda lost track. Ever since the rats arrived at the rescue center, at least one litter has been born every single day. We're crossing our fingers that the influx of babies will stop in the next couple of weeks.

rhapsody said:
Kimber said:

Actually, 99% of the rats pulled are super people friendly. At the very least, the hoarder did his best to feed and play with them, so the majority of the ratties see people as a good thing. However, there are several handfuls of younglings born at the house that didn't have a chance to have positive interactions with the hoarder, so their first encounter with humans was during the rescue ... and they were a little traumatized by that experience.

However, we are having a huge problem with rat aggression. Most of the males are being housed separately because they are constantly fighting with each other. And its not a I'm-more-dominant-than-you kind of fighting. Its I'm-going-to-tear-your-heart-out-and-kill-you. We've had several very close calls. Every single adult male is missing some chunk of his body - eyes, ears, toes, parts of the tail ... yeah, they're pretty beat up. And since nearly all the medical funds have been directed toward healing injuries and making sure the rats stay alive, not much is left for neutering. The females are much better with other rats from the hoard, but several intros with "outsider" rats did not go well at all.

Er, as far as numbers go ... we've kinda lost track. Ever since the rats arrived at the rescue center, at least one litter has been born every single day. We're crossing our fingers that the influx of babies will stop in the next couple of weeks.

oh my gosh :thud: i can not imagine owning that may rats or any pet for that matter. I had in my rescue at one point 40 and i thought to me that was over board! 40 is nothing compared to 1,000+

Would the aggression be a result of inbreeding (I'm assuming they're all inbred, right?) That sucks for the poor boys :(

And holy crap -A litter a day?! That's crazy! You guys have my sympathy. You're all doing a great job! :thumbup:

Back