Netflix Canada....BEWARE!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it was Bell that instituted the cap first in Ontario, but I could be wrong. When we first started using Rogers for Internet, back in 2000 I think, there was no cap. If I had used Rogers continuously since then, perhaps I wouldn't be subjected to the cap - just like Jorats with Bell.

That really is crap to me about the cap some of you have. I hope they never do that here!

lol I know it wasn't the point of the thread, but when you said it was 7.99 a month for netflix I checked out their selection and stuff, I want it! I'm sorry you had such a bad experience though.

Dazzle87 said:
That really is crap to me about the cap some of you have.

Yes it is and they get away with it due to a serious lack of competition. The government doesn't seem to be too keen on opening up the market to new players, thereby breaking up the near monopoly some of the big companies have, or making other changes that truly benefit the consumer, so it doesn't appear that things will get better any time soon.

Dazzle87 said:
That really is crap to me about the cap some of you have. I hope they never do that here!

lol I know it wasn't the point of the thread, but when you said it was 7.99 a month for netflix I checked out their selection and stuff, I want it! I'm sorry you had such a bad experience though.

Yeah I miss it. :(
Maybe I will get it again in the future.
Some other company needs to come out and and kick the others in the butt. :gaah:

This thread has scared me! I better check my bandwith cap (I'm with Bell Aliant). I just got on Netflix and I love it. I can't stand TV because of all the commercials and reality programs.

RatsForever said:
This thread has scared me!
Scared me too. I don't have Netflix, but I do download the shows I like to watch via eztv.it since I don't have cable (though with two housemates, we'd only be paying $10/mo extra each) and this whole month we've only used 32Gb of out 100Gb transfer. Phew!

zenia wulfe said:
RatsForever said:
Scared me too. I don't have Netflix, but I do download the shows I like to watch via eztv.it since I don't have cable (though with two housemates, we'd only be paying $10/mo extra each) and this whole month we've only used 32Gb of out 100Gb transfer. Phew!

Oh you should be fine. I have a 60 gig cap and I don't usually get to 40.

Moon said:
zenia wulfe said:
RatsForever said:

Although it is a good idea to keep track of your usage, just to be on the safe side - especially if you share access with other people. :D

KMG365 said:
Moon said:
zenia wulfe said:
RatsForever said:

Although it is a good idea to keep track of your usage, just to be on the safe side - especially if you share access with other people. :D

Yarr

I don't know about other companies, but I've gotten messages from Rogers, my ISP, on my computer warning me when I've gone past 75% of my download cap for the month.

KMG365 said:
I don't know about other companies, but I've gotten messages from Rogers, my ISP, on my computer warning me when I've gone past 75% of my download cap for the month.

I should look to see if there's a setting for that. I've only blown past my cap once (pre netflix!) but a warning would have been nice!

The only times I have gone over my cap (this was years ago, the last time I had an Internet account in my name) they only emailed me AFTER I had gone over. It was annoying.

My husband received a lovely email that we were WAAAAAAY over our bandwidth.
A mid point email telling us of our usage would have been nice.
BUT now that I know about bandwidth?
It's up to me to keep track.
Miss the Netflix though and would :heart: to have it back. :(

Dazzle87 said:
In Canada your Internet provider charges for bandwidth use?! Wow, I've never heard of that.

Just saw this on Wired.com... (http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/03/att-dsl-cap/?hpt=Sbin)

"AT&T broadband users will soon face a cap on the amount of internet data they can download a month.

Traditional DSL users will be capped at 150 GB per month, while subscribers to the fiber-backed UVerse system have a 250-GB limit. Usage over that will be charged at $10/month for 50 GB, the company says."

So, it looks like U.S. companies are imposing caps on Internet usage too. Another article states that Comcast subscribers have a cap of 250 GB per month.

I just received my Bell-Aliant bill and no extra charges were added on for bandwidth, since I've been using NetFlix...yet. But of course that could change. :(

I love Netflix! I don't have a problem finding a movie that interests me and I love how there are no commercials and reality programs!

RatsForever said:
I love how there are no commercials and reality programs!

Oh, there are reality programs, but not the lame ones people usually think of. They have Deadliest Catch and Intervention and some Hoarders.

I have learned that on Shaw, you can add data packages apparently that are cheaper than what the overage would be. Can't seem to find it on their webpage though.

Moon said:
RatsForever said:
I love how there are no commercials and reality programs!

Oh, there are reality programs, but not the lame ones people usually think of. They have Deadliest Catch and Intervention and some Hoarders.

I'm thinking of the lame ones. :giggle:

I just hope Bell-Aliant doesn't start to charge for my use of NetFlix because I don't have cable!

I miss Netflix!!!!!! :cry4:
I need a Bandwidth Faery STAT. :gaah:
You know when I was a girl we didn't pay for T.V., phones had party lines and we only paid for long distance.
I grew up in a simpler time that was a heck of a lot cheaper.!!

Back