Netflix Canada....BEWARE!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharlees rattakisses

I decided to try Netflix Canada and have for the last month or so. :doh:
The available movies and programs are poor to say the least.
I have been recuperating from surgery and watching A LOT of movies.
I have 125GB limit and before the month was barely half way through I was WAAAY over!! :shock:
So if you want to get Netflix beware of the bandwidth usage as Netflix uses 1 GB per hour which adds up FAST.
I have 6 people in my household as well.
I cancelled Nexflix 20 minutes ago.
I hope my husband doesn't go :thud: when he gets the internet bill. :lol:
Actually NOT that funny has I'm not allowed to watch anything on the computer until March 1st. :cry4:
Since we don't entertain, drink, smoke, go out or on vacation this is my only fun besides the ratties and reading.
I can't move around in this weather safely so I am getting cabin fever. :(
Hurry up spring!!!! :flowers:

I had no idea it is that way in Canada... We only use netflix as our source of television as our landlords never run down a line for us. netflix has gobs and gobs of stuff... waaaay more than we'll ever watch in a lifetime... Does netflix also offer dvds through mail. Here we get one usually within three days of ours getting mailed off

Dazzle87 said:
In Canada your Internet provider charges for bandwidth use?! Wow, I've never heard of that.

It's a new rule... cell phone companies have pushed that through, actually.
:(

Dazzle87 said:
In Canada your Internet provider charges for bandwidth use?! Wow, I've never heard of that.
Depending on what package you get, you get a certain amount of transfer a month, then over that you pay per gigabyte.

With Shaw, I have the 'Extreme Speed' package. I get 100Gb of transfer, then over that I have to pay $1/Gb.

wow that sucks. I bet it will help keep people from torrenting tho, but I know a lot of people who use Netflix instead of cable, I hope that doesn't come here.

Sharlees rattakisses said:
No movies through the mail that's why our charge here is $7.99 per month. :gaah:
A lot of movies show up but aren't available in Canada yet. :?

Thats how much we pay!!!!!!
w/ both streaming & dvds... Holy Cow!!1

I guess we don't watch enough here for it to be a problem. We stream it through my BF's xbox and we've found tonnes and tonnes to watch so far...we were always happy with the selection (but to be fair, I haven't watch a lot of movies lately so I guess all the 'old' movies are still new to me, lol

I've been going over my "allowed" bandwidth for years, I think twice I got a letter in the mail asking me to stop politely, and that was it. My friends husband is a trainer with shaw and as far as he knows they don't really enforce it yet, neither does Telus. Although they have the ability to track your usage and potentially charge it. But they've had that ability for years, far before this ruling came about.

There has been such a negative backlash against this that it looks like Ottawa is forcing them to reverse the ruling anyways.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/arti ... et-billing

This exact thing happened to us in the fall! The first month we thought we went over because school had just started back up and we were using a lot of bandwith for downloading programs... but the next month came and within a week we had used 75% of our Bandwith! I cancelled Netflix right away... I was stunned at how much it eats up and how quickly. Now they continue to send me e-mails that want me to come back! The movie and show selection was poor - not worth it in my opinion.

Before getting rid of your Netflix it would be good to phone your local ISP and confirm with them their billing for overage and see if they are currently charging it or just tracking it. Shaw has confirmed on their website that they are not charging it.

Shelley said:
This exact thing happened to us in the fall! The first month we thought we went over because school had just started back up and we were using a lot of bandwith for downloading programs... but the next month came and within a week we had used 75% of our Bandwith! I cancelled Netflix right away... I was stunned at how much it eats up and how quickly. Now they continue to send me e-mails that want me to come back! The movie and show selection was poor - not worth it in my opinion.

To be fair it's not Netflix's fault you went over your bandwidth. It would be nice if they outlined exactly how much bandwidth it uses per movie, but I really think it's up to the consumer to figure that out.

The selection is getting better every day, but Canada is lacking a lot of movies due to licensing issues. It's extremely expensive to acquire a license for big name movies and TV shows. The only way more content will be added is if studios become more reasonable with their licensing fees and realize that selling to Netflix is good business for them. In short, the more people have Netflix, the better the selection will become.

The average 2 hour movie is 1.8 GB to stream. Even if you pay $1/GB for overage charges, that's still plenty cheaper than renting from a video store.

True. No where on Netflix though did they mention about the space it would take... I wish I had known beforehand since it is not me paying the bill and my father was not happy about it. The selection will improve, but I had it back in September/October and there wasn't anything worth while in Canada. It may have changed since then, but I just can't stop getting spam mail from Netflix and cannot seem to get my credit card off file... Just little nit picks I have.

I do believe they should mention the transfer rate somewhere. Netflix is definitely a great idea, and it saves money versus renting - but with the bandwith charges for us between work, school and other uses - it becomes far too expensive on a limited budget. Our internet charges $2/extra GB and we only have 60GB allowance which we normally just make each month... so we paid about $120 extra that month without knowing what was happening. We don't really rent that often as we were drawn to the easy access Netflix provided. Since discontinuing we have more time to spend doing other things :giggle:

My son had netflix and he cancelled it within a month, not for bandwidth issues but because he found it lacked big time in quality movies. Everything he tried to watch it wouldn't allow him saying it's not available in Canada.

I'm with Bell Aliant for internet and I'm not charged for internet like that. We use Netflix everyday and watch tons of movies and tv with with with no problem. Maybe you need a new service provider?

I've had Netflix since December, but I haven't found too much that I really want to watch. I don't think I even signed on in January or February. The credit card they have on file for me expires at the end of this month (I purposely used that card just in case I had difficulty cancelling my account with Netflix), so my account should automatically end early in March.

Other than a lack of content, I really don't have any complaints about Netflix. I was aware that bandwidth could be an issue, so I made sure to keep on top of that. My ISP allows me to check my bandwidth usage online, so that's really helpful!

Just before Netflix launched in Canada, ISP's like Bell and Rogers, lowered the bandwidth allotment for their Internet plans. This appears to have been an attempt to make it less appealing for people to use Netflix.

Kayla2 said:
I'm with Bell Aliant for internet and I'm not charged for internet like that. We use Netflix everyday and watch tons of movies and tv with with with no problem. Maybe you need a new service provider?

Are you sure you don't have a bandwidth cap? I used to use Bell in Petawawa and we definitely had a cap.

Kayla2 said:
If I do it must be large, because we watch netflix all the time. On my days off I watch a couple movies a day and we use it for tv becuase we don't have cable.

Are you watching in standard or high definition? Streaming high definition content will consume far more bandwidth than standard definition.

Back