Need Zithro info

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moon

I am beginning my first adventure with Zithro for Valerie. Anything in particular I should know? I'm thinking along the lines of instructions like not giving dairy with Doxy.

Used a quarter tank of gas to get to Dr Munn because the local vet I use for meds doesn't believe in Zithro. :rant: That's like $30 :rant:

My rats take Zithro like it's a treat. There's nothing special when giving it. Ouch for the price of gas though. That's like the price of good hammock. lol

Yikes, that makes the Zithro pretty costly! Hope Dr. M gave you refills.

I don't think that there is anything special about Zithro. I get mine as the pediatric formula (sticky and pink). The label says good for 7 days, but my pharmacist says it will last for ten.

She gave me the script with instructions to only hydrate half and give me instructions to do the other half myself. Hopefully it goes over well because Val can be picky.

Even my most stubborn rats have loved the taste of Zithro. In that snatch-the-syringe-and-maul-the-tip sort of way. Knowing Dr. Munn, she probably gave you a fairly concentrated dose, so you shouldn't have to get a whole lot into Val.

The only special instructions I have for Zithro is not to refrigerate, and that it's good for up to 14 days when constituted.

No special instructions ... but if you need more, see if she will phone it in to save you the gas.

Since I have used it to treat myco and have quite a few rats .... treating for 6 weeks gets a bit pricey :crazy3: but it works !!

Well, I think I gave the pharmacists their story for the day. They all found it so entertaining that I was going to be giving such tiny amounts, and then asked how I was going to get her to take it. I told them I had the tiny syringes and they said "Yeah... but how do you convince her to put it in her mouth"... if only we knew sometimes eh?
Valerie seems to be thinking that anything going between the cage bars is something to fight for, so thus far this run medicating her with the baytril has been easy... I haven't even had to mix it with something tasty! Just put it in the cage bars, and when she is fighting everyone else and chomps on it (which she does... chompity chomp) I shoot it in and she seems to not really notice. LOL... hopefully it is the same with the Zithro!

So here is my question. The pharmacist gave me 4.5 mls of distilled water to mix the meds with when I go to rehydrate the other half. But I'm thinking that wont be so tasty. Can I use strawberry syrup or something of that nature (and still just do the 4.5 mls) or do I play it safe and use the water she gave me?

I'm going to give her her first dose now and see how it goes over.

Mix it up with distilled water, that is what the pharmacy did.
As mamarat said, it should already be flavoured.

Once mixed, if you have any problems giving it to her, I'm sure we can all share our secret medication flavouring concutions with you :laugh4:

Apparently Zithro is too delicious for words. WTF?! And they wont even touch baytril.... hmmm.
So Valerie took her first dose with gusto but a little tiny bit missed her mouth and hit Josephine who was trying to also get at the syringe. Then all 4 of them spring onto Josephine and start cleaning her up, throwing one another out of the way. I wish all meds were like this!!!

So the flavouring is in the powder? Well well... guess who never wants to go to Doxy again?

So, for the time being, all is well on the meds front. Thanks all!

Some of mine don't like it, but most will fight for it! As you will know by now, it makes sense to dilute the powder with water, because the mixture comes out quite viscous already.

Yum yum yum!!

My Doxy - actually labeled as Vibramycin - is raspberry flavored, it's a pinkish powder. My girls adore it. But yea, the flavoring is already in the powder for the Zithro. They have to make it so small children will take it, and I don't know too many human parents who would go to the lengths we go to in order to get a rat to take their meds.

Oooh, do you just add water to your doxy Kat? I'm going to ask my vet for this. I'm tired of crushing pills. Also, how long is the shelf life once mixed?

Yep, you just add water, just like the Zithro. It lasts 14 days at room temp. It comes in a brown bottle that can make 60mls of 5mg/ml suspension. I just measure it out and mix it up into batches.

According to RatGuide, new 2002 literature says that the crushed pills in water are stable for 14 days when refrigerated.

Back