My Vegetarian Thread

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a good look at the effects of all Americans giving up meat only one day a week.
This video does NOT contain any graphic footage.

Trailer for 'Meat the Truth'...

[youtube:34xrvs8g]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6Z-upjfFCA4&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6Z-upjfFCA4&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube:34xrvs8g]

I am a mom of three teenage girls, two who are Vegetarian. I support their choice wholeheartily. I probably never become a full vegetarian myself but we do more often than not have non meat dinners. It's all about balance and education. It's a personal choice and people need to do what's right for themselves.

Dewi said:
Just curious, but would people be willing to pay twice as much for meat and other animal products if you knew the animals were raised well, not stressed out by being transported anywhere and were killed quickly (without hearing or seeing the other animals die nor seeing blood and the likes)? So basically during the whole process the animals were treated with respect even if they were going to get killed in the end. In the case of retired egg laying chickens, breeding animals & dairy cows, as well the male offspring of diary cows & chickens. Well, for these animals to be retired to a nice paddock or re-homed to compassionate people or, if the other two choices aren't possible, then quickly PTS by a good vet (the way companion animals are). No animals would be slaughtered at a slaughterhouse. The buthcer would go the the animals and "do the deed" quickly and efficiently and there be restrictions to the number of animals that can be killed during a period of time. Say no more than 4 animals killed per hour - this excludes cutting the body up.

I bet there would be a significant number of people who would be willing to pay extra for these assurances. Why hasn't anyone created this industry? I know my family would be in for it. I'd be willing to pay up to triple, heck even quadruple, what the going cost of milk is, so long as I have these guarantees.

Yes i would. There was a series on TV before:
http://www.jimmysfarm.com/
He raises rare breeds of pigs, all free-range. He has a on-site butchery and shop so i don't think the animals even leave the farm anymore (they did when he first began). Its been a while since ive watched the program, but i think he was trying to set an example to farmers, and to the community by having open days and showing just how much better his meat is and how good his animals are cared for (i think he even has wild boars living in a woodland area - the care and well-being of his animals is his main priority).

If i lived ANYWHERE near this guy (he lives in the south west, i am in the north east) i would buy only from him. He even has free-range chickens for his eggs. It will be interesting to see just how many farms there are like this in England

quickly PTS by a good vet (the way companion animals are)
I believe this form of killing an animal wouldn't work due to the toxic nature of the euthansol that is injected into the animal's bloodstream. I don't think it would be good for anyone to eat meat that had been from an animal injected with it, but otherwise I would totally pay a higher price for meat and dairy products if someone could figure out a method I could be comfortable with. Until that happens, I stick with my non meat diet.

Evolution is a theory based on faith not science. Science has a lot of problems with this so-called theory.
I find the continual reference to it very offensive and totally unwarranted.
This is a thread about Tarah's experience becoming vegetarian, not about your religious beliefs.

SQ said:
Evolution is a theory based on faith not science. Science has a lot of problems with this so-called theory.
I find the continual reference to it very offensive and totally unwarranted.
This is a thread about Tarah's experience becoming vegetarian, not about your religious beliefs.

I do agree that this thread is not for arguing the moral ramifications of being a meat eater or not. We need to keep it on the topic of supporting Tarah in her decision and not going on tangents or finger pointing sprees.

SQ, since when is evolution a religious belief?

Evolution is faith based and many scientists from all branches of science have a problem with it as it has too many things wrong with it.
Since the theory of evolution (not the more limited meaning of the term) is faith based not evidence based, in many circles it is considered a religious belief.

It's faith in unseen science, not religion.... Religion is an organized approach to spirituality, so unless you're attending the church of Darwin I don't know how it could be a religious thing. Now, saying it is a faith based belief is entirely different.

Since most people don't consider it a religious element (and really, quite the opposite), I hope you don't honestly take offense to people discussing it since in most circles it is considered at least loosely based on scientific fact.

I just wanted to clarify what you meant, since the only people I've ever known to be offended by the discussion of evolution were religious to the extreme.

I find it offensive for people to state a faith based belief as if everyone accepts it as the truth. It is fine if people want to say, "I believe ..." or say "the theory of ... says .... " Discussion about beliefs are fine in appropriate places.

It is not faith in unseen science. It is one of several ways of explaining the scientific facts we do know.
There is a difference between organized religion and what are considered to be religious beliefs.

In science, the word theory means a very different thing than what the word theory means in common usage. In scientific usage, a theory is an explanation of a wide category of how things work that is backed up by a great deal of evidence and has withstood the test of time. Gravity is a theory. Atoms? Theory. Many theories, including the theory of evolution, are about as close to facts as science can get.

Anyway, back to the topic... there *are* humane ways to kill animals that still leave them safe for human consumption. A carefully aimed projectile cleanly destroying the brain stem is one way. Stunning the animal then breaking the neck is another. The only thing is that these methods require careful human observation and involvement, and it takes time to set things up and to ensure that the animals are cleanly killed before butchering. The only way to make this sustainable is for all of us to eat less meat, and be willing to pay more for it.

Wayy off topic, too bad I couldn't use this thread for what i intended it for.. Oh well.

Still no red meat! :joy: I actually havn't missed it at all.
Even if it takes a while to become completely veg, it will be worth the effort.

Still have to work on chicken though, but i'm not wanting it as much.

Tarah said:
Wayy off topic, too bad I couldn't use this thread for what i intended it for.. Oh well.

Still no red meat! :joy: I actually havn't missed it at all.
Even if it takes a while to become completely veg, it will be worth the effort.

Still have to work on chicken though, but i'm not wanting it as much.

I am sorry it got so off topic.

I know what you mean about having something in particular that's going to be hard to give up. I know that if I were ever to attempt to go veggie, fish would make that nearly impossible. I might only ever get as far as being Pescetarian.

Good job Tarah, Keep up the awesome work!!!

Even though this thread has been getting quite a bit off topic, I'd still like to commend you on somehow creating a post where people can engage in peaceful yet opinionated discussion. This thread has managed to stay quite civil (usually vegetarian threads get locked due to people bickering). Thansk again for letting us all have this opportunity to discuss a wide array of topics while still trying to support you on your journey into vegetarianism.

That being said, SQ you will notice I put "evolved" in quotation, that's cuz I in most ways don't truly believe in that theory (I'm a child of creationism). It's very interesting to here that evolution is now thought of as afaith-based belief because they are still teaching it like law at the University of Guelph (which is a leading university in the biological sciences).

sausage4ever said:
It's very interesting to here that evolution is now thought of as afaith-based belief because they are still teaching it like law at the University of Guelph (which is a leading university in the bilogical sciences).

It all depends on who you ask, as with any other scientific theory.

I subscribe to the "Meat is Murder" school of thought. I am not loud, nor do I push my views on others. I have no desire to help along an industry that see's nothing wrong with animal cruelty. My hope is for "humans" as a whole is to find a more humane way to raise animals and a "gentler" way to slaughter. It will never be humane for them, but it does not have to be a from birth to death an agony.

I wish you the best of luck along the path you have chosen. It will not be easy and some people want to make it more difficult. Just keep on plowing through it and you will find you feel better and know you are no longer contributing to another form of animal torture.

I have NEVER heard evolution being called faith based. That just blew me away. Sure there are gaps in the whole thing, but calling remains, cave pics and everything else "faith"? Learn something new everyday. I am fully in the court of evolution btw :D There is absolutely no way I will ever buy into the whole creation thing. I lack "faith" for sure when it comes to that.

I am cooking a vegetarian meal for me and my mum tonight. It is: 'Red onion, cheese and vegetable frittata'. I LOVE cooking, especially from scratch. I am thinking of serving it with roasties, some broccoli and maybe some home-made cheese sauce. I will have to let you know how it goes. If its a hit, ill post the recipie :)

Back