My Vegetarian Thread

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarah

I have been thinking about going Vegetarian for a long time now, but have always questioned my self-control when it came to it. Me and Joey were lying down tonight, and I brought it up to him. He basically said that he believed I could do it and that a couple slip ups won't make me a failure. I'm curious to see how far I can take it, so i'm going to try it out, and write daily updates in this thread.

I'd really like to make it long-term, and I'm really going to try.

Wish me luck!
I'll write on how the first day went tomorrow.

No worries! I'll be there to help you along!

Just make sure you get your protein from other things and take vitamins!

You don't wanna pull a Brian.
Brian is pretty much a vegetarian, he only eats chicken. Not by choice, he just doesn't like meat.
But I think the reason he passed out/ had a seizure was also because of low iron.

I've been vegetarian for 2 years in December and I havenever looked back! BEST decision I have ever made for not only the animals, but for my health and for the earth. Food tastes so much better without meat. Look up Meet Your Meat on youtube and do tons of research.

There are sooo many and way better sources of protein, iron, etc from non-meat sources. Nutritional yeast is a great source of vitamin B12... put a tablespoon a day in some yogurt or a smoothie once a day.

I have been a vegetarian for a few years now, and just had a full panel blood workup and everything was 100% normal.
You have to learn to eat well, which applies to everyone and not just to vegetarians, in a society where everything is premade and saves us time. Everyone's diet suffers today, regardless of whether you eat meat or not. Finding a good supplement, designed specifically for vegetarians, is a very good idea. Eating a proper diet is no more of a challenge for vegetarians than it is for people who eat meat.
The things that helped me, and prevented me from ever slipping up, was to eliminate ALL fast food from my diet prior to giving up meat, and to be in the habit of ALWAYS preparing my own lunch. Most people slip up because they don't get into these good habits before becoming a vegetarian and find themselves resorting to fast food on a regular basis. Even though a number of fast food places offer vegetarian alternatives, they are catered primarily to the meat industry. And that food is horrible for you to begin with. It is full of fats, additives, a horrendous amount of salt, and should be avoided anyway. Treating fast food as a treat, and not relying on it on a regular basis, will help you avoid falling off the wagon. If you think you might have a hard time giving up fast food, I suggest reading 'Fast Food Nation' - that is what did it for me.
Since becoming a vegetarian I have managed to lose over 70lbs, my face and skin has cleared up competely (and I had serious problems with it before) and I have not suffered even one migraine headache (I was getting them about once a month and was taking narcotics for them they were so severe). I have never felt better physically, and my soul is so much better for it.
There are tonnes and tonnes of awesome resources out there to help you, I would suggest to anyone that you take advantage of them.
You can do this, it is easier than you think, trust me because I absolutely ADORED meat and gave it up cold turkey (excuse the pun) and have never looked back. Remember, the majority of vegetarians were not people who hated meat, they were people like me who absolutely loved meat and never thought they could pull off eliminating it from their diets. Believe me, if I can pull it off - anyone can.
And not only will your own personal health benefit, but the entire planet benefits when our resources are not being used to sustain livestock. Livestock are the number one consumers of natural resources - those animals don't get to be hundreds of pounds at slaughter weight by just breathing air.
Some resources that you can look into are the following:
http://www.goveg.com/
http://www.happycow.net/l_organizations.html
http://www.vrg.org/
http://www.stephen-knapp.com/vegetarian_recipes_and_resources.htm
http://www.gourmet-vegetarian.com/vegetarian_resources.asp
Order your FREE vegetarian starter kit here:
http://www.goveg.com/ORDER.ASP
What finally did it for me was that I forced myself to watch 'Earthlings'. I was so traumatized by that documentary that I have not even had one mouthful of meat since. Some of the images in that film still make me have nightmares today and I am not exagerating. Whenever my stomach grumbles a bit when I drive past a KFC or McDonalds, those images will flash through my mind and my feelings of hunger very quickly turn to disgust. I'm very thankful of those images.
Negative motivation doesn't work for everyone, and you really have to have a strong stomach for it, but it worked for me. 'Meet Your Meat' is another documentary that is going to leave you feeling very poorly so I suggest you brace yourself for it. Like 'Earthlings', it contains extremely graphic footage and I really can't see how anyone could ever eat meat again after watching it. 'Earthlings' deals with our overall treatment of animals in society, but 'Meet Your Meat' targets the meat industry alone. Be very prepared for what you are going to see in that video.

You should check the following video out. Although it doesn't contain the graphic images that 'Earthlings' and 'Meet Your Meat' does, it is one of the most heartwrenching things that I have ever seen in my life. This is the fear and pain and suffering that you consume with every mouthful of meat that you eat.

WARNING WARNING WARNING THAT SOME MEAT EATERS ON THIS FORUM ARE GOING TO WHINE ABOUT THIS VIDEO OFFENDING THEM - SO IF YOU ARE JUST GOING TO COMPLAIN TO THE ADMINS THEN DON'T BOTHER WATCHING IT.

I am scared and don't want to die - YouTube Video

Thank you for the info.
I became a vegetarian while working and living on a fly-in reserve in the north. I gradually started occassionally eating meat again when I moved back down south, even though eating meat fish etc makes me feel sick. It is time for a change. I never did have a balanced diet so the info. will help.

I eat meat, but I'm so lucky I live in the community I do: I only eat meat that has died of natural causes. I buy from a local farmer who treats his animals as pets, to him they are, and when they die of natural causes he sells the meat. As a result, I don't eat meat very often. The majority of our meals are vegetarian. When we go out, we eat vegetarian, because we know that restaurants don't go to the same measures we do to ensure the animals had a healthy, normal life. It's much more expensive for us, but very worth it in my opinion.

We also buy free-range eggs, that's something you can look into as well. The chickens are able to lead a normal healthy life with plenty of room, no overcrowding. When they lay eggs they're collected and sold. I think it's a wonderful way to do it.

xxchelle is this farmer near Guelph? I would love to have another place to buy meat.

Tarah, I believe that you can very well stop eating meat if you put your mind to it. I know a lot of people my age who are vegetarian for one reason or another. I on the other hand do eat meat and try my very best to buy only certified organic/ free-range/naturally raised meat and will be cutting out the meat I would have eaten while dining out. Another website you can visit about the tortures of food animals is: http://www.cetfa.com/. I personally love this site because it has no affliation to PeTA and isn't all condemming of people who do choose to eat meat.

And getting your eggs from free-range chickens is a great idea, as xxchelle said.

Ah Vanessa :cry3:

That affected me way more than i thought it would :cry3:

I HATE how vegetarians use stupid videos like the 'meet your meat' one. It really pisses me off beyond belief. I used to be vegetarian for a good few years and consider going back, because of health benefits (for one, i put more weight on when i wasnt eating meat), but i think its really shitty when people link videos like that.
We are designed to be omnivores, and opportunistic feeders - meaning we eat any food that is readily available. If we were meant to just live on vegetables then we would be herbivores, and we arent. People shouldn't be made to feel guilty for doing whats natural by PETA putting together stupid video's like that. We just wern't meant to be the flippin horrific creatures that we have turned out to be, thinking we are all above every other living creature on this planet, and that pisses me off too!

There are good people out there, you just have to find them

If you want to be a vegetarian, then fine, but you do not need to watch silly video's on youtube. Go with whats in your heart, not whats on your monitor.

Ryelle, I completely agree with you. I was talking to someone from the forums here a couple nights ago about this very issue.

Our tooth and jaw structure dictates that as a species, we are omnivores. Meaning we were designed to eat meat and plants. Just as a lion's jaw structure was designed for meat, and a deer's jaw structure was designed for plants. So I don't think we should condemn people who chose to do what is natural for us to do as a species - eat meat.

I do think we've taken it to the extreme however. And I truly believe a balance can be found, where we as a species can respect other species in life and death. I just think it will take a lot more work than most people are willing to put forward. Making small changes, and getting free-range meat/eggs is a great start. As a species we don't have to be vegetarians, and we certainly were not designed to be.

You wouldn't expect a lion to stop eating meat, would you? Of course not, because that's what they were designed to eat. So I don't think people should expect humans to stop eating meat, as that's one of the foods we were designed to eat.

That being said, I know people who are vegetarians, and frankly, I'd rather have people make the choice to not eat meat at all, than to eat meat that's been tortured and has not led a good life.

I seen no video what-so-ever on youtube. It was a choice I made myself.

I never made this thread to become an argument, I made it as like a journal-blog type thing.

Oh no, it's alright. I didn't mean it as a "ARGH, DONT DO THAT." Type of thing. :giggle:

I just don't want everyone starting a debate type thing. Opinions are excellent, I love reading them. I just don't want it to get heated, is all. :)

I for one am totally proud of anyone who makes the choice to go vegetarian. Or even those who decide to only eat free-range meat/eggs, or meat from animals which have died of natural causes, as I have. It's a tough thing to do, as it's too "easy" now a days to go grab a burger from McDicks or whatever.

I think you're off to a great start, and I'm sure you'll do well :) Just keep your eye on vitamin and protein levels, maybe talk to your doctor about getting some blood work done while you're starting, to make sure everything is okay, and you're not "missing" any vitamins?

On another point:

Today was surprisingly easy. I went to the freezer to find something to eat, and saw these bacon cheese burgers i like. But totally ignored them, and made grilled cheese sandwiches instead. I really surprised myself at the amount of will-power i DIDNT have to use to turn my back on them. Needless to say, I was proud of myself. Like I said before, I always wanted to try becoming Vegetarian, but never thought I'd be physically able to do it. Hopefully it lasts a long time.:D

I'm hoping tomorrow will be as good as today was. :joy:

xxchelle said:
I for one am totally proud of anyone who makes the choice to go vegetarian. Or even those who decide to only eat free-range meat/eggs, or meat from animals which have died of natural causes, as I have. It's a tough thing to do, as it's too "easy" now a days to go grab a burger from McDicks or whatever.

I think you're off to a great start, and I'm sure you'll do well :) Just keep your eye on vitamin and protein levels, maybe talk to your doctor about getting some blood work done while you're starting, to make sure everything is okay, and you're not "missing" any vitamins?

Thanks for the advise! I totally will.

Just a reminder to all that this thread is to help support Tarah in her decision and give her ideas on how to be vegetarian healthily. Vanessa's link is posted with AMPLE WARNING and if you do not think you can watch it without it making you uncomfortable and forcing you to comment on it I suggest you do not do so. This forum is not here to attack any person's eating habits.

That said..... Whether or not you decide to eat meat, it's good to remember that as a society we eat FAR TOO MUCH. Our meat portions are way bigger than we should be, and many people don't eat a single meal without some sort of meat in it. So, even if you don't think you can be a vegetarian it's a good idea to get some tasty, veg-friendly meals in your cooking repertoire.

Back