My Vegetarian Thread

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was a hit :) We have some left in the fridge for lunch today. My mum wouldn't believe that there was no meat in it, she was sure it tasted like sausage LOL. I also dont like mushrooms so i left them out :sick2: . Its not very filling on its own, so we had potato's with it. Could do a nice light meal though. So, recipies

Red onion, Cheese and Vegetable Frittata

Prep time: 15mins
Cooking time: 25mins
Serves 4

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium red onions (340g), sliced thinly
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 medium courgettes (240g), grated
250g button mushrooms, sliced thinly
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (only 1 if not fresh)
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
8 eggs, beaten lightly
1 cup (100g) grated mozarella cheese

1. Heat oil in 23cm non-stick frying pan; cook onion and garlic, stirring, until onion is soft.
2. Stir in courgette and mushroom. Cook, stirring, until vegetables are tender; stir in herbs and pepper. Reduce heat; pour in egg.
3. Cook egg mixture over low heat, without stirring, until base is browned lightly and top is almost set; sprinkle with cheese. Place pan under grill on high heat until top is set and browned lightly. Cut into wedges.

per serving 25.6g fat; 1488KL (356 cal)

You dont have to have it with it, but Cheese Sauce: (goes really nice with fish and potatoes too)

40g butter or margerine
40g plain flour
salt and pepper
50g - 75g cheese, grated.

Thick sauce: 300ml / half pint milk or stock
Med thick sauce: 450ml / 3 quaters pint milk or stock
Thin sauce: 600ml / 1 pint milk or stock

1. Melt butter in a heavy pan
2. Add flour and work it into the butter, stirring until it forms a smooth paste which leaves the sides and base of the pan.
3. Cook gently for a minimum of 2 minutes, stirring all the time. This is to start cooking the flour.
4. Pour in milk or stock a little at a time until the liquid is incorporated. Beat vigorously between each addition of liquid in order to avoid lumps. (I pour in a tiny bit of milk, and mix it in with the back of a spoon against the side of the pain (if that makes sense). I continue doing this until it gets thinner and you can put a whisk through it. its time consuming but if not done right then you get lumps)
5. Gradually add cheese to the sauce and whisk in.

The sauce thickens slowly if you cook if for 5minutes in the pan after mixing, dont let it boil though or it will burn.

Back