My Rattie Adventure

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm starting down that road with Boots. He's always been a big boy and hes teetering up 2lbs and the vet said he's gotta stop there or even lose a bit. He doesn't really seem to eat anymore then his brothers so it'll be hard cuz it means giving him even less and also his brothers who stash everything so I can't exactly determine who's eating it all but Odin is dominant so I feel he gets most of it!

Sterling, you know what? I read your comment and it is actually the same situation here...when Achilles' brother Maximus was still with us (rest in peace my love) BOTH boys always got the same food and treats but Maximus, although a chubby boy, never seemed to gain the weight that Achilles did.

And they were from two different mothers...hmm..I wonder if Achilles' mom gave him the fat gene maybe? Maximus' mother, Lexie, looked very slender and graceful and Achilles' mother, Maggie, was a bigger looking solidly built girl. (Joanne at the rat rescue was lucky enough to have photos of both of their mothers). You never know...that may be part of it.

OH MY GOD HE'S HUGE!!! Hahahahahahaha!!!
Well that makes me not so concerned about Buck now....
Can Achilles move around ok? He reminds me of those morbidly obese people that get stuck in bed and end up growing into the mattress...
Happy fat boy [emoji1]

Ya. I call them brothers but they most likely have different parents. They were feeder boys and I think Boots is a week or two older. But Boots has always been more squishy and Tyrion more dainty.

OH MY GOD HE'S HUGE!!! Hahahahahahaha!!!
Well that makes me not so concerned about Buck now....
Can Achilles move around ok? He reminds me of those morbidly obese people that get stuck in bed and end up growing into the mattress...
Happy fat boy [emoji1]

Actually, Marc (my husband) and I have both made comments about Achilles just like you did...how he reminds us of those super obese people who can barely get out of bed, oh lord!

Well you posed a good question about his movement. He is able to get around, but he does not move around TOO much, but since he is getting so elderly and slow, we wonder how much of it is his age and how much is his large frame. :shock: Marc and I discuss this almost every day and it is not a fun topic.

By the way, we moved him permanently to his "play village" that we have set up on our dining room table, since he was starting to have trouble going up and down the narrow ramps in his ratty condo. So now he lives in a nice play village (no cage) with lots of fleece, hidey huts and "nesting lounge" boxes, as we call them, with his lab blocks, water, toys, etc, all on one level. Like a single floor home if you will.

So he has a very easy place to call home with no ramps or anything. His "retirement village". And it is just steps away from where Marc and I spend all of our time in our living room so he always feels like he is hanging out with Mom and Dad only steps away. He gets a LOT of attention and snuggle visits from us at the village. :)

I remember when our vet (who is terrific by the way...she knows her small animals very well and she specializes in the them) told us, "Achilles is very elderly and at this point, especially since he is so happy with his snacks, I would just let him enjoy his time that he has left and not start depriving him, etc." and I got some similar advice here on the forum too.

But I think he would get around a bit better if he was not so fat, the poor guy. I also think he is so used to us bringing him everything that most of the time he probably thinks, "Why should I move around and do stuff when Mom and Dad bring me everything?" Oy! A vicious circle..

We dote on him and wait on him hand and foot since his brother passed away. So he is spoiled, big time. And lazy. Not sure what to do at this point but I think we created an obese, lazy King of the House. A very lovable and sweet King, but, you know what I mean. A difficult situation when we want to make him as happy as we can, but...

I think we dote on him TOO much (meaning that we bring him everything), if that is possible with rats being so dang charming, and also we know that every day he is still with us is a huge blessing, so we just keep wanting to make him as happy as we can, but what makes him happy is food. His eyes sparkle, he does a "head popcorn" shake when he gets a treat (his version of a baby popcorning with joy, but he just does it from the head up since he is fat of course), and I swear he smiles from ear to ear.

This is a very hard situation to rectify. And do we give him cheesecake and potato chips? No, of course not! Marc and I are vegans for cryin' out loud and we do not even have junk food in the house. We give him things like Romaine lettuce (his favorite veggie), a small chunk of fruit, a bite of whole grain bread, a shredded wheat, cheerios, things like that, but...

Last edited:
I like your vets theory and that generally my theory for most old things. Like my dog. She's getting old and has really bad arthritis in her back hips so she gets to lick my plate or bowl or whatever when I'm done with it.
The ratties get Cheerios. Veggies every night. Occasionally some baby food. Rarely a wheat thin if I've got 'em in my room. And the other day they each got a very very small corner of a Dorito cuz they were trying to climb in my bag.
Tried teaching them tricks the other day but it's like niether of them want to work for their treats. I just wanted to teach them spin and as soon as they had to start to turn for it they gave up... [emoji85]

Oh I forgot to show you the mess Sweet Pea made last night...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412205796.683467.jpg
Not sure how well you can see but there is a giant hole in the dirt which is now all over the wall, floor, and the back of that ceramic rabbit... Ughhhh it's like having a 3 year old...

I like your vets theory and that generally my theory for most old things. Like my dog. She's getting old and has really bad arthritis in her back hips so she gets to lick my plate or bowl or whatever when I'm done with it.
The ratties get Cheerios. Veggies every night. Occasionally some baby food. Rarely a wheat thin if I've got 'em in my room. And the other day they each got a very very small corner of a Dorito cuz they were trying to climb in my bag.
Tried teaching them tricks the other day but it's like niether of them want to work for their treats. I just wanted to teach them spin and as soon as they had to start to turn for it they gave up... [emoji85]

Ha ha, yeah, I am such a pushover with my rats, always have been, so I was also going with the theory of, "Hey, no one makes me do tricks before I get to eat something yummy, so why should my babies have to do tricks?" BUT, that is just me! Don't get me wrong...I know that some rats really have fun and enjoy the mental stimulation of doing tricks, etc.

If the rat is having fun and seems to enjoy it, cool. If they just are not into it, then you just leave it. ;) All rats are different!

Last edited:
Lol Vlad. They would get treats anyways. But if they did tricks for me they would get extra. Just like you might get a bonus at work for doing a good job or whatever.

And yes I suppose Sweet Pea did have fun. Much to my annoyance... Hahahaha

And it would appear Buck likes sunbathing [emoji23]
Find him in the morning laying in the one part of the cage that gets sun in the morning. Didn't understand why he was laying on a brick instead of soft fleece until this morning when he laid behind the brick but still in the sun. Silly boy.

Oh ha ha! No, of course I did not think you would only give a treat after your ratties did a trick, hee hee. Sorry, I did not mean it to sound that way! :D

Aww, Buck was enjoying the sun! I am sure it felt great to him! Makes me want to find a patch of sun and fall asleep in it myself!

Cut my finger on a shard of glass at work so I put on a bandaid. And Buck just thought that was the most interesting thing ever. He kept grabbing my hand and trying to pull the bandaid off. Finally i pulled it off and handed it to him and he tried gnawing on it so I took it away.

And while I was eating wheat thins the other night Sweet Pea ran up and snatched it from my hand and wouldn't let go when I tried grabbing it back...

I wanna do a Halloween photo shoot but I'm not sure what kind of costumes they're gonna have.... Any suggestions?

Well I was thinking matching costumes for Buck and Sweet Pea. Like Buck as Pooh Bear and Sweet Pea as Piglet or something like that. :3

The rescue i got my two ratties from just got two new young boys in from the same hoarding case Sweet Pea came from. The one boy is missing his front paw. It makes me want another rattie soo bad!! Mom is set on only two while i live with her. And she won't let me move out sooo....

Well, you have to draw the line somewhere, and since your mom is letting you stay there and is OK with your two boys, perhaps that should be it for you for now. That, however, does not prevent you from sharing the word and trying to get these guys homes! :)

Oh Joanne your such a grownup [emoji12]
And I have one boy and one girl. Both are fixed. [emoji6]
And it's not a matter of letting me stay there... it's more a matter of forcing me to stay there....

She won't let me move out...
Like she says no. She micromanages my life...
She still pays for some stuff for me like medical bills and stuff. But I want to get an apartment with my friend like most college kids do...

Sweet Pea comes when I call her name now!! [emoji4]
And Buck got a sticker stuck to his paw today and it was the funniest thing to watch him try to get it off with the other paw and then have it get stuck to that paw and repeat. [emoji23]

It's fun to have an apartment with your friend, but it also sucks to incur all that extra debt. I guess it depends how much you mind having your life micro-managed. I have always been pretty independent, so didn't stick around much once I was able to go. But it also took me ten years to pay off my student loan!

Back