My Phat Girl Pea has PT *cries* A good update for once :)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh that's wonderful. :nod:

You know, is there any chance she might have suffered a stroke instead of it being a PT? May I ask, how long has her decline been happening?

The reason I ask, I had a girl who I thought had a PT. She had all the symptoms. I was even starting to reorg her cage in prep for the inevitable and to keep her comfy. After about three days, she was already starting to need syringe feeding help.......then the next morning, I saw she looked more alert. Within 3 more days, she was about 80% better.

I had one other girl this happened to as well. Thought she was a gonner and she recovered.

Stroke can be so much like those PT symptoms. And steroids should help in that case too.

I will just stay tuned and send Pea all the good thoughts in the world that it was a stroke and she'll recover fully. :heart:

Go Pea, you beautiful, beautiful girl! :heart:

I've been through several strokes as well, and it just doesn't feel like it. It was gradual, that "off" feeling you get as a ratowner that sits in the back of your head. Then she progressed fast on the classic PT symptoms. She is starting to brux now as well.

I would bet ummm...my life? this is PT. With a stroke, I go back and forth with inner ear infection and stroke usually...she's not tilty or compromised unevenly at all.

I am just sooo happy she's responding, it gives us more quality time together :heart: :heart:

Either way, that's just great she's responding to the Pred. I hope it continues to help her. :*)

It also gives the rest of us hope that Pred really can help with PT. I've just never seen any improvement with Pred. So it's just great it's working for Pea. :)

Debbie said:
Either way, that's just great she's responding to the Pred. I hope it continues to help her. :*)

It also gives the rest of us hope that Pred really can help with PT. I've just never seen any improvement with Pred. So it's just great it's working for Pea. :)

I am actually using dexamethasone but I am sure I would've got the same results from pred too. :)

I am sorry to hear you haven't gotten results from pred yourself...I have had some wonderful results but my favorite was this one...Ariel

From this..

to this with one injection of steroids

Ariel was with me for 5 glorious weeks. :thumbup:

Wow, those are incredible videos! Thanks for sharing them. And 5 weeks IS a long time with a PT.

Well, I know what I'm certainly going to try the next time. Just so glad to hear Pea is feeling better now. May she have additional time with you as well. :*)

I do wonder if the Dex is a better choice over the Pred. Certainly injectables are faster acting than the oral. And with PTs, you just don't have the luxury of time. I've only tried the Pred, and to be honest, didn't try it again after the first three ratties.

Hi Debbie,

I give my injectable orally with the baytril (in the same syringe) unless its a desperate thing then its injected, but when you are giving it daily its easier on everyone to do it orally (my vet knows).

Did you use high doses of pred? Some rats won't respond, which I was so worried Pea was, but I hadn't given her a big enough dose with her weight. Some die very quickly, some don't respond and only stay a few days and then some will respond and you get some quality time to enjoy and say goodbye with peace.

Back