My Heart is Breaking... Eli WOOT!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

Last night when I pulled out Eli from his hammock I realized something was really really wrong.

There looks to be bleeding into the ocular bulb, etc. he is now completely blind. I was just waiting to take him in to Dr. Munn's clinic this morning, (not sure if Dr Munn is there right now) and he slept on the bed with me. He seemed to be relatively fine, I gave him metacam and he would toddle around and then slept with me. He got restless and lay over my neck (I was lying on my back) and slept there for awhile. At 4:30 am I woke up to tremors and agitation. Eli had a seizure and I "held" him until it was done. I was sure he was dying, but he's recovered and is wandering around on the bed now.

With the seizure, I am thinking my wonderful, beloved Eli is not long for this world and just typing this makes me feel so ill and upset. :sick2:

I will be leaving at 7:30 or so to take him to my vets. I think this time I will wait and see if the doctor can see both of us instead of dropping him off. If he must leave me, I want to be there for as long as possible with my boy. :sad3:

Last night's discovery

dec2Eliseye2.jpg

dec2Eliseye3.jpg

This morning after his seizure

dec3Eli.jpg

dec3Eli2.jpg

I need everyone's prayers for my wee brave lad. :sad-p:

I think the seizure did something to his brain. Eli is now acting hormonally aggressive. He is scratching and doing that quick groom over the flanks/hips and is now rubbing on my book. He huffs and chatters his teeth when I try to pick him up, so I have to be careful. :undecided:

It's not impossible for dogs to have major behavioral changes due to a sudden onset of seizures, so I suppose that could be the case with poor Eli. I have to wonder if its something simpler like hes just feeling really crummy and threatened right now, though.

Moon said:
It's not impossible for dogs to have major behavioral changes due to a sudden onset of seizures, so I suppose that could be the case with poor Eli. I have to wonder if its something simpler like hes just feeling really crummy and threatened right now, though.

Yeah I think you're right. He was on the floor, and he wanted up...I put my arm down, he huffed but clambered up onto my arm and I put him down on the end table with the Ensure.

I really really hate this.

Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry you and Eli are going through this. :sad3:

Prayers and cuddles to you and your little man.

Let him "huff" if that makes him feel better. He is going through a rough time but he obviously knows who his number 1 fan is.

Give him a smoooooooooooch right on top of his loveable little head for me and holler if you need anything. :love6:

He's still with us. He's at work with me now. I am soooo happy!!! :bliss:
Dr Hammond thinks that the same pathology that led to the other eyes removal is going on here as well. He's stopped the aggressive behavior and is now a blind and confused Eli again. He is going on dex, baytril and doxy. But he is sneezing, shaking his head and blood is coming out (which I guess is a good thing). Dr. Hammond thinks that the pressure on his brain from the bleed is what caused the seizure not the other way around.

I do remember a few weeks ago that Eli was sitting on my shoulder sneezing over and over, then I realized I was being sprayed with blood. I thought he had snicked his nose with a nail or the air was dry, since I put on the humidifier and it never happened again, until now.

So now we watch the eye...pray it dies and shrinks and does nothing, but if it swells it will have to be removed also.

BUT my baby is still with me :dance: :heart: :heart:

That is so good that there is hope. I was wondering how he lost his other eye.. He is a little trooper, I can only imagine what he would be dealing with going from being able to see to loosing his eyesight, it has to put a lil attitude in him till he adjusts.

Back