My Father, The Carpenter *Now With 1st Pic*

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks nice, and BIG!

I agree, all you need is a support, but i'm sure your dad would know how to fix it, being able to build a GORGEOUS HOME like this and all!

I give it a :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

coudos to your dad

I'm the last one who wants to be a negative in this cause I'm just so happy you & your Dad are having time together.
I just hope you aren't keeping the insulation in it are you? cause it serves no purpose in a cage and could actually hold bad residues.. has anyone checked whether freon gas residue can remain in insulation? if there was any mold or rot in the fridge ever the insulation would hold it if it had reached it...
Dump the insulation, right?

Insulation pulled and dumped! :D Freon will remain behind for some time, I'm not sure if it's in the insulation, BUT, I know if it gets on you or your clothes it will stay for a bit. (Go CSI, LOL)

Oh, the levels are an easy fix. :) Just some hooks. I'm going to finish it up tonight with leveling the levels, LOL, and then creating ramps of some sort for them to get from one to the other. Then we're good to go.

They're in it for real, but it's not done done. I still have to put a way for them to get to the top level... but they have the bottom and middle level for now. But before I move the babies in I need to figure it out.

I'm thinking PVC pipe cut in half lengthwise. Mm.

Somehow they've been getting to the top! All of them but Seth Rogen and Rubin. They're always in the top hammocks, staring down at me.

I think they climb onto the doors and just climb up! Which I wasn't sure they could do because the bars are vertical. But they can! I underestimated them. Rubin I think can't, he's older, he probably actually doesn't give a crap about going up there, LOL! I make sure to put the food on the middle level and their water on the bottom, so he can easily get to both. And eventually Seth Rogen will come out of his shell and figure it out. I still want a way for Rubin to get up there. No fair that the others get to and he doesn't!

I actually measured it for a friend and then forgot. I'll go grab my handy dandy measuring tape and get back to you.

*five minutes later* *okay more like ten because the garage is a disaster area*

60 inches tall, 30.5 wide, and 25 deep. That's just the inside measurements, though, the part they'd actually use.

Rattycage Calculator keeps telling me it's not deep enough for adult rats for daily living (right), so I assume it's broken, because I tried to do it with my other two cages and it was the same thing. So I used a dif calculator and it said it'd hold 14 rats, giving them 2 square feet of space. This one is kind of neat because it actually draws the cage out.

http://kristinewickstrom.homestead.com/ ... pplet.html

Okay I found the Fancy Rats one! One I recognize, LOL. It says 14 too.

So 7... 8, 9 rats, they're good to go! :)

"Change their bedding" turned into "make them bedding", LOL. But here it is! I didn't add all their toys, so you could see the cage better.

Whole shebang, with doors open.
IMG_5957.jpg

Top part, modeled by Denny and Izzie
IMG_5958.jpg

Bottom part, modeled by Rubin, Andi, and Tip
IMG_5961.jpg

Top two sections with the doors shut. You can see how they are "locked".
IMG_6034.jpg

Yayness!

Wow, that is really something. the ratties look very happy in their designer cage! It's spacious and so nicely decorated. Three cheers for your dad (he is now officially a rat-granddad) :lol:

Back