Money

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with SQ, both about not having to pay for surgeries at the same time and about adopting the two boys if you choose to.
Realistically, if all of them would need surgery at once, which more than likely wouldn’t happen at all, you can decide at the time who would need it more urgently.
If you’re already looking for a new rat, getting two similarly aged rats is a good choice so intros are easier and so the new rats have each other during quarantine so they don’t have to be alone for several weeks. It’s also really rewarding to give rats a who need one a good home, and it sounds like you really want them.

If it’s any indication of what’s normal, x-rays at my vet cost $150 and surgeries cost between $150-$200 (spay/neuter, tumour removal). That being said, x-rays would probably cost a lot less at your cheaper vet if that’s where you’re going, because an exam at mine costs $60 I believe.
Please do post pictures of the boys! I'm sure you'll be very happy with them!
Im sure I will! I hope they are too! Their owner just texted me a photo of the cage they are in. Its tiny, its got nothing inside and the floor is wired. I cant wait to go get them! Also im so sorry for not answering to your previous reply! I didnt see it lol. Thank you so so much for all the help!!

I spend about 100-200 a year per rat on vet bills and medicines. I've had 6 male rats over the last 3 years and consistently the problem has been chronic respiratory issues which get treated with doxycycline and baytril. There's also been a simple abscess (also treated with baytril), tail necrosis which was going to be treated in an animal hospital with a $600 amputation until my vet said I'll do it for free by just clipping off the dead tail with nail clippers and malignant colon cancer which could not be treated at all except for euthanasia. Rats certainly have a lot of health issues.

Last edited:
I spend about 100-200 a year per rat on vet bills and medicines. I've had 6 male rats over the last 3 years and consistently the problem has been chronic respiratory issues which get treated with doxycycline and baytril. There's also been a simple abscess (also treated with baytril), tail necrosis which was going to be treated in an animal hospital with a $600 amputation until my vet said I'll do it for free by just clipping off the dead tail with nail clippers and malignant colon cancer which could not be treated at all except for euthanasia. Rats certainly have a lot of health issues.
They sure are...its a shame cuz of how awesome they are as pets.

Back