Money

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oasisandbambi

Hey yall! Just wondering how much money should you usually have saved up for your ratties in case of an emergency. Ive got 3 girls and am getting a new boy. Im a student with a part time job and I think what I should be be able to save up will be 400, maybe 500. Is that enough?

It depends on their age and if they are or if you’re planning on getting them spayed or neutered. Older rats will cost more because of tumours and things like that, especially if they weren’t spayed or neutered young.
I think I recall that you had younger rats, so that amount should be fine to have at a time while they’re young. You’re already dealing with respiratory issues, so you know how much they cost. As they get older, it will be good to have around $400 saved at a time for tumour removals, but that’s assuming that it would cost you $200 each time and your girls both get tumours at the same time.

It depends on their age and if they are or if you’re planning on getting them spayed or neutered. Older rats will cost more because of tumours and things like that, especially if they weren’t spayed or neutered young.
I think I recall that you had younger rats, so that amount should be fine to have at a time while they’re young. You’re already dealing with respiratory issues, so you know how much they cost. As they get older, it will be good to have around $400 saved at a time for tumour removals, but that’s assuming that it would cost you $200 each time and your girls both get tumours at the same time.
Two of my girls should be about 7/8 months old and were spayed at around 3/4 months of age to prevent tumours. I rescued a girl not too long ago, she will be 1 year and 8 months on the first of October. She has some respiratory complications, and is an old girl, so Im not thinking of getting her spayed. Shes a dwarf (at least she matches my research about dwarfs) and I read an article on them, saying that they are way less likely to get tumour, also her mother died at 2 years something and never got tumours. The boy (not sure if ill get one or two) ill be getting should be around 2/3 months old, and Ill be getting him neutered, to prevent hormone related health problems and also cuz I dont want Rosie getting pregnant lol. Will 500 be okay for 4/5 ratties? Ive no idea how much a tumour removal would cost, but my vet spayed my girls for 79 € each ( and did a wonderful job) so removing a tumour should be around 150 - 200 maybe? Depending on the size but I mean, Im not thinking about letting it get too large. Also thanks so much for answering me, again.

At my vet, the tumour removal costs a certain amount for them to take it out in 10 minutes, but she said that it could cost less if they remove it in less time. In my experience, a tumour removal doesn’t cost more than a spay, so I think it should cost the same amount. If the most expensive thing you have to worry about is a possible tumour removal and there’s not a huge chance of them getting them like an unspayed rat would have, I think that sounds like a fine amount to have at a time.
You really are doing yourself a huge favour in the long run by spaying and neutering them early on.

In answer to your question ..... No, it is not enough

I would suggest $300 for the first rat and $200 for each additional rat (so I would suggest you have at least $900 in a bank account for medical bills), in an account at all times, and replaced as needed
or else a credit card for vet and medical expenses

As you may be aware, female rats need to be spayed if you have access to a good vet that has the knowledge and experience to do it safely. This is not inexpensive but is cost effective in the long run https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/why-spay-or-neuter-rats.35402/

In June I rented a car and took a 3 day trip to get some rescue rats spayed and neutered. It went on my credit card as I have little money and will take at least a year or two to pay off. Just so you know how important I believe it is to get rats spayed.

I have a little rescued girl, Clarke, who was 1 year old in August. So far she has had 4 tumour surgeries - so it is not just aging rats who can require expensive vet care ...... and rats of all ages can get resp infections and other illnesses, requiring immediate vet visits and various antibiotics

In answer to your question ..... No, it is not enough

I would suggest $300 for the first rat and $200 for each additional rat (so I would suggest you have at least $900 in a bank account for medical bills), in an account at all times, and replaced as needed
or else a credit card for vet and medical expenses

As you may be aware, female rats need to be spayed if you have access to a good vet that has the knowledge and experience to do it safely. This is not inexpensive but is cost effective in the long run https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/why-spay-or-neuter-rats.35402/

In June I rented a car and took a 3 day trip to get some rescue rats spayed and neutered. It went on my credit card as I have little money and will take at least a year or two to pay off. Just so you know how important I believe it is to get rats spayed.

I have a little rescued girl, Clarke, who was 1 year old in August. So far she has had 4 tumour surgeries - so it is not just aging rats who can require expensive vet care ...... and rats of all ages can get resp infections and other illnesses, requiring immediate vet visits and various antibiotics
I have 3 girls, 2 were spayed at 3/4 months old. One that I rescued, she is old and has respiratory complications. Rose is definitely not a candidate for surgery if she needs a tumour removal, etc. My other two girls, it depends. If they got a tumour now, id have it removed. Not when they are older and weaker cuz, as far as I know, respiratory complications get worse the older ratties get. In this case, ill just do all I can to reduce or slow down tumour growth, and give them the best last days, until it grows big enough to start actually bothering them and I have to pts.
Ive never had tumours removed but spayed my girls in a great vet for 79€ , how much do you think a tumour removal would be in the same place?
The boy ill be getting will be neutered, and Ill be saving up 600 JUST for surgery. Surgeries are my biggest concern. Other issues like URI, UTI, ear infection, etc. I can afford well. Theres a fairly cheap vet near my house, luckily.
Sorry for my english and Thank you!

Last edited:
At my vet, the tumour removal costs a certain amount for them to take it out in 10 minutes, but she said that it could cost less if they remove it in less time. In my experience, a tumour removal doesn’t cost more than a spay, so I think it should cost the same amount. If the most expensive thing you have to worry about is a possible tumour removal and there’s not a huge chance of them getting them like an unspayed rat would have, I think that sounds like a fine amount to have at a time.
You really are doing yourself a huge favour in the long run by spaying and neutering them early on.
Id think so too but now I'm a little more worried cuz of SQ's opinion.

Keep in mind that our economy is most likely different than yours, so it's difficult to predict exactly how much your money will stretch compared to ours. I don't have much experience with surgery, so I don't know if all vets will charge the same for a tumour removal as they would for a spay. A good thing to do when you're trying to figure out how much a particular surgery might cost is call your vet and ask for an estimate, that way you'll have a better idea of how much you might need if the girls all needed surgery at the same time, for instance. I assume that when you say you have a part-time job, you mean that you are actively working and you have at least this amount at any point in time and you're not just saving up enough money to last you a year or something, because in that case you would need more.

I thought that the price you suggested sounded fair because each tumour surgery in theory would cost you around $100, and each vet visit, including antibiotics should only cost around that amount too, but it really depends on how much vet care generally costs for you. I also took into consideration that you would likely have antibiotics on hand all the time for your girls if you needed some in an emergency.

The reason I mostly discussed the cost of tumour removal and the prices of an older rat is that they age quickly, and you already seem to have a good idea of what respiratory issues end up costing.

Not sure if it's offered in all countries, but it might be worthwhile talking with your vet's office to see if they offer a Medicard/PetCard or something similar (basically a credit card you can only use at the vet). We got one back when we tried having a mass removed from one of our ladies (15 years ago or so) and it has been incredibly helpful. A $300 surgery can jump to $500-$600 if complications arise.

Some vets allow their clients to pay in installments. If your vet doesn't have a PetCard sort of thing, maybe see if they'll let you pay larger bills in installments.

Keep in mind that our economy is most likely different than yours, so it's difficult to predict exactly how much your money will stretch compared to ours. I don't have much experience with surgery, so I don't know if all vets will charge the same for a tumour removal as they would for a spay. A good thing to do when you're trying to figure out how much a particular surgery might cost is call your vet and ask for an estimate, that way you'll have a better idea of how much you might need if the girls all needed surgery at the same time, for instance. I assume that when you say you have a part-time job, you mean that you are actively working and you have at least this amount at any point in time and you're not just saving up enough money to last you a year or something, because in that case you would need more.

I thought that the price you suggested sounded fair because each tumour surgery in theory would cost you around $100, and each vet visit, including antibiotics should only cost around that amount too, but it really depends on how much vet care generally costs for you. I also took into consideration that you would likely have antibiotics on hand all the time for your girls if you needed some in an emergency.

The reason I mostly discussed the cost of tumour removal and the prices of an older rat is that they age quickly, and you already seem to have a good idea of what respiratory issues end up costing.
Yeah it should be pretty different. I tried calling around, most vets need to see the tumour to give me an estimate. One reputable vet told me it would never be more than 200€ and thats max, so if its something simple it should be around 100 maybe less.
Actually, my job is not super steady. And I dont make much. How much would you suggest to save up if that was the case?

My local vet ( the one I go to for minor issues, like URI, UTI, absences, etc) costs 12, usually 25 with antibiotics. Which I think, compared to other people who tell me they spend 50/60 on a checkup, is very cheap. I try to always pay for stuff myself but if I really need it, my folks can help me with this. So it is not really a problem. The thing Im most worried about is surgery. But as I said, Rosie is not a candidate for surgery so, sadly, when im saving up for it, im not saving up for her. 1,8 years might not be super old (considering some rats make it to 3) but she lived in a tank her whole life, she has a lot of respiratory complications. Also, she was fed parrot food her entire life, barely any veggies or fruit, she never left that tank for playtime, etc. I love her so much and gonna miss her when she goes. But when I took her in I knew that wasn't much I could do for her if she needed surgery. Im just trying to give her the best months of her life.
Anyway when I say that I am saving up 600 for surgeries, Im only including Oasis and Rubi, plus the new boy when I get him.

Ill be taking Rose ( the old lady ) for a checkup soon, she might need teeth trimming, x ray etc. Thats something ive never dealt with so the cost will also help me figure out how much I need in case my other ratties needed this kinda thing done to them. I can also discuss tumour removal prices with them more easily this way.

I do have a lot of different antibiotics available, from Uri, spays etc.

Not sure if it's offered in all countries, but it might be worthwhile talking with your vet's office to see if they offer a Medicard/PetCard or something similar (basically a credit card you can only use at the vet). We got one back when we tried having a mass removed from one of our ladies (15 years ago or so) and it has been incredibly helpful. A $300 surgery can jump to $500-$600 if complications arise.

Some vets allow their clients to pay in installments. If your vet doesn't have a PetCard sort of thing, maybe see if they'll let you pay larger bills in installments.

Not sure we have that in here. But thank you! Ill ask. Not sure what an installment is lol english is not my first language

So if surgery is only a concern for 4 of the rats, it would be good to have $800 at a time, in theory. That being said, they likely won't all need surgery at once though. If $500 is an amount that you are able to make and comfortable saving for the rats, that's a great start and you can always add more to it in the future if needed. If your parents can help you in an emergency, that's even better because if you didn't have enough money for anything, they could help you out at least until you're able to pay them back.

Paying in instalments would mean paying a smaller amount at a time until you can pay off the full amount of the cost of a procedure.

So if surgery is only a concern for 4 of the rats, it would be good to have $800 at a time, in theory. That being said, they likely won't all need surgery at once though. If $500 is an amount that you are able to make and comfortable saving for the rats, that's a great start and you can always add more to it in the future if needed. If your parents can help you in an emergency, that's even better because if you didn't have enough money for anything, they could help you out at least until you're able to pay them back.

Paying in instalments would mean paying a smaller amount at a time until you can pay off the full amount of the cost of a procedure.

Ive got 3 ratties. Surgery is only a concern for 2 atm, Rubi and Oasis, not Rose. It will be a concern for 3 ratties when I get my boy. Sorry if I didnt make myself clear!
Also, I thought I was gonna go get him in October but my life just took a turn just yesterday so Im not sure. Anyway, if I do get him, since 800 is ok for 4, 600 should be okay for 3?
Also, thank you ❤
And yeah ill ask if I can do that!

In my opinion, it should be fine, especially considering your regular appointment costs seem so low. I’m not sure how, but I thought that you were getting two boys. My mistake.
Actually, if you scroll up, I said id maybe be getting two boys lol. I forgot I mentioned that. I was actually eyeing on two beautiful 6 months old boys that need to be rehomed cuz their owner doesnt have time for them, nor great conditions from what ive seen from photos, and have been for adoption for so long. Since people here dont really see rats as pets they dont get adopted easily. But I cant have 800 at all times so getting the two babes might not be the best idea. Sadly.

There really is no set amount.
Ten years ago we used to recommend $200 for the first rat and $150 for each additional rat. Since prices for most thing have at least doubled around here, I adjusted what I would recommend.
$600 is not ideal but would be ok for the 5 rats and you can continue to add to it ..... especially since your costs seem lower then here and because you have people who will help if needed.

You might want to look at what it costs for things like: a vet appointment for 5 rats (my vet charges for the time but some vets charge for each animal), surgery, humane euthanasia, an xray, antibiotics because rats need combos such as baytril + azithromycin + doxy, and clavamox for at least 6 weeks at a time, prednisone, heart meds like lasix, benazepril, atenolol, digoxin, and cabergoline (often given to rats to treat pt, or to try to slow down or prevent mammary tumours) - all of these meds are often given to rats for various health issues

Basically you need enough money so that when your rats are ill, you can decide how to treat and whether or not to treat based on what your vet recommends and what you believe is in your pets best interests ...... instead of not providing medical treatment because you do not have the money. On this forum we recommend good care, including vet care, but not everyone decides to treat the same things ...... for example some people do not treat pt and provide palliative care or treat pt with prednisone + an antibiotic, some people do not provide surgery because they do not have the money or do not have access to a good vet that can safely operate on rats, some people do not spay rats

I hope you are able to get the boy and have him neutered because it sounds like you can give him a good life

sorry that things are not going so well right now, I hope things get better
and I hope that this info helps

Last edited:
There really is no set amount.
Ten years ago we used to recommend $200 for the first rat and $150 for each additional rat. Since prices for most thing have at least doubled around here, I adjusted what I would recommend.
$600 is not ideal but would be ok for the 5 rats and you can continue to add to it ..... especially since your costs seem lower then here and because you have people who will help if needed.

You might want to look at what it costs for things like: a vet appointment for 5 rats (my vet charges for the time but some rats charge for each animal), surgery, humane euthanasia, an xray, antibiotics because rats need combos such as baytril + azithromycin + doxy, and clavamox for at least 6 weeks at a time, prednisone, heart meds like lasix, benazepril, atenolol, digoxin, and cabergoline (often given to rats to treat pt, or to try to slow down or prevent mammary tumours) - all of these meds are often given to rats for various health issues

Basically you need enough money so that when your rats are ill, you can decide how to treat and whether or not to treat based on what your vet recommends and what you believe is in your pets best interests ...... instead of not providing medical treatment because you do not have the money. On this forum we recommend good care, including vet care, but not everyone decides to treat the same things ...... for example some people do not treat pt and provide palliative care or treat pt with prednisone + an antibiotic, some people do not provide surgery because they do not have the money or do not have access to a good vet that can safely operate on rats, some people do not spay rats

I hope you are able to get the boy and have him neutered because it sounds like you can give him a good life

sorry that things are not going so well right now, I hope things get better
and I hope that this info helps

The vet I visit for minor issues and checkups ( like I mentioned in a previous reply) charges the same for one rattie that he does for two. 12 €. Im guessing he would charge the same for 4/5 ratties. I would never take the 5 all together at the same time for a checkup tho. I think. I usually do a checkup once in 2/3 months, more frequently if the rat is ill, and on medication to see if its working, etc. I rat phone each rat everyday and always handle them to check if there is something feels odd. If a rat starts acting weird I take them to the vet as soon as possible. This vet is the one I got to to get antibiotics, such as those you mentioned. From my experience, checkup plus meds never really cost me more than 30. This vet doenst have the most experience with rats but he is always open to learning and listening to what I suggest. When I first got my girls I went cuz Rubi could barely breath. The vet never really dealed with that before but he did his research and gave me the right meds and dosages and we could help. Since then he has been doing more research on rats which i think is awesome. Now they also have an exotic vet which is great.

For things like surgery I go to a way more experienced vet a couple hours away. They gave me an extimate for tumour removals of 100€. 200 max. I called around to know costs for x rays, etc. And no one could really give me an extimate. But Im guessing it would be cheaper than surgery.

Ive been eyeing on these two 6/7 month old brothers that need to be rehomed cuz their owner doesnt have time for them (or great conditions) and have been for adoption for a few months I guess. Rats as pets are still fairly new to my country. Not many people want them or attend their basic needs. The ones who do like to get babies and not really adult ratties. I really wanted to adopt those boys cuz I know I can give them a WAY better life than the one they have now. Im just no sure I will be able to provide surgery if needed. I will be able to provide antibiotics and neuter them. But, if they were to all get surgery at the same time, I wouldnt be able afford it. So Im not sure if it will be a good ideia. But I just keep on seeying them for adoption in a small cage and it breaks my heart.

Thank you. Hopefully things will get better. Also thank you so much for always replying to my threads.

Last edited:
You are welcome :)
What happened to the single boy?

Rats rarely need surgery at the same time ..... other then spays and neuters ...... in my experience most costs are associated with vet visits and with medication .... I'd probably get the 2 boys because even if you can only neuter and provide vet visits and antibiotics and other meds, it is likely better then anything they will get where they are - just something to consider

It is wonderful that you have a vet that is willing to learn and do research. I have a vet that is the same and is now, after 13 years, is quite an expert on rats. I think being a good vet that is willing to learn is extremely important.

A good site for you, and perhaps your vet, is ratguide.com

I agree with SQ, both about not having to pay for surgeries at the same time and about adopting the two boys if you choose to.
Realistically, if all of them would need surgery at once, which more than likely wouldn’t happen at all, you can decide at the time who would need it more urgently.
If you’re already looking for a new rat, getting two similarly aged rats is a good choice so intros are easier and so the new rats have each other during quarantine so they don’t have to be alone for several weeks. It’s also really rewarding to give rats a who need one a good home, and it sounds like you really want them.

If it’s any indication of what’s normal, x-rays at my vet cost $150 and surgeries cost between $150-$200 (spay/neuter, tumour removal). That being said, x-rays would probably cost a lot less at your cheaper vet if that’s where you’re going, because an exam at mine costs $60 I believe.

You are welcome :)
What happened to the single boy?

Rats rarely need surgery at the same time ..... other then spays and neuters ...... in my experience most costs are associated with vet visits and with medication .... I'd probably get the 2 boys because even if you can only neuter and provide vet visits and antibiotics and other meds, it is likely better then anything they will get where they are - just something to consider

It is wonderful that you have a vet that is willing to learn and do research. I have a vet that is the same and is now, after 13 years, is quite an expert on rats. I think being a good vet that is willing to learn is extremely important.

A good site for you, and perhaps your vet, is ratguide.com
I searched for breeders all around since Im way more educated on petstores now. (my two first girls came from a pet store). I was looking for a good breeder or a rattie that needed help. Most breeders I found kept rats in horrible conditions and bred them for money only. So then I came across these two brothers that need to be rehomed. I also came across a rescue center that rescued 3 babies from a pet store. But I might choose the two boys cuz people wont adopt them as easily since they are adults.

Im positive I will be able to provide them vet visits/ medication.

I thought so to! And wow thats lovely!! Its so nice to find nice people who are open to learning. Again thank you so much for your support. I messaged the lady and will be getting the boys on the 6th of October! Im so exited. Never had boys before! Thinking about posting photos of my rat on the forum and making a "happy" post for once lol !

Back