Momma - Play Hard Beautiful, R.I.P <3

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the reply RM :) give her a tonnes of snuggles from me (but save some for yourself too ;) )

After reading this I think Grurder and Eloise may have both had PTs. My poor girls, why did I not think to come to the forum sooner to ask for advice on meds? I could have passed some of the information along to my vet too, but then again, I could still do that.

Oooh, poor ratty! All your love and care is going to make her feel a lot better i'm sure!
Being mentally healthy and happy will make her feel better you'll see! :hugs:

My spidey sense is not telling me PT...too sudden a collapse and too sudden a recovery. The eye bulging out on her right side is a bit worrying too. Did you watch her go from normal (and aging) to flat on her belly or was there time in between and you found her like that?

Okay, for the past month she has slowed down ..walking very slow, being very carful where she walks ..I am not 100% sure on the eye buldge ..it may have been there ..and the circling could hve also been slitghy there ..like I said she was acting very slow latley and not herself.

She was on the couch with me eating ensure ..she walk away from the ensure & had what looked to be a painful poop (about 5 mins) - The poops was hard (dark) & Soft (light) - similar to what Sophies looked like. After the poop she just sat there ..I went to pet her down and she jump in the air ..then she went flat to the groud, I pet her ..she would squirm along ..then she just stayed there for another 5 - 10 mins ..then went to her side. At this point I picked her up and called a taxi and went to the vet ..got there ..sat down ..she got up started walking slowly ..just like she has the past month. Took her in ..he watched her movments and seen her eyes ..he looked more closly with a light and said the pupil is smaller in her right eye and its buldging, and then we noticed she was walking towards the right ..not obv circling ..but it is ..very slowly ..so she very well could have been doing this before yesterday ..I just never noticed :wallbang: ..I noticed something was wrong with that episode yesterday.

She is still acting slow today and now I can notice the circling ..when she goes to clean the left side ..she falls over ..she can hold food pretty well but rests it in front of her at times.

I thoguth the past month was just old age kicking in ..because momma is not slow ..she jumps from everything ..but now shes very careful.

I have videos from today, uploading now.

Okay, for the past month she has slowed down ..walking very slow, being very carful where she walks ..I am not 100% sure on the eye buldge ..it may have been there ..and the circling could hve also been slitghy there ..like I said she was acting very slow latley and not herself.

She was on the couch with me eating ensure ..she walk away from the ensure & had what looked to be a painful poop (about 5 mins) - The poops was hard (dark) & Soft (light) - similar to what Sophies looked like. After the poop she just sat there ..I went to pet her down and she jump in the air ..then she went flat to the groud, I pet her ..she would squirm along ..then she just stayed there for another 5 - 10 mins ..then went to her side. At this point I picked her up and called a taxi and went to the vet ..got there ..sat down ..she got up started walking slowly ..just like she has the past month. Took her in ..he watched her movments and seen her eyes ..he looked more closly with a light and said the pupil is smaller in her right eye and its buldging, and then we noticed she was walking towards the right ..not obv circling ..but it is ..very slowly ..so she very well could have been doing this before yesterday ..I just never noticed :wallbang: ..I noticed something was wrong with that episode yesterday.

She is still acting slow today and now I can notice the circling ..when she goes to clean the left side ..she falls over ..she can hold food pretty well but rests it in front of her at times.

I thoguth the past month was just old age kicking in ..because momma is not slow ..she jumps from everything ..but now shes very careful.

I have videos from today, uploading now.

She has also been more tired than usual, sleeping more ..again another sign of old age.

I am so stupid I never noticed anything before. I alsways just did the cheerio test which she dose fine and still does.

There are no signs of pain that me or my vet could see ...other than during that painful bowel movment episode.

Edit: she is head bumping, only started yesterday

The bold is what she has, copied from rat guide under PT:

Mechanical disturbances
•Gradual weakness and lack of coordination (often more noticeable in the forelimbs).
•Stiffness or inability to flex forelimbs that gradually progresses to the hind limbs as the tumor continues to grow.
•One eye protruding more than the other. This can be due to asymmetrical growth of the tumor pressing on structures behind the eye, and is referred to as exophthalmia.
•Unequal pupil size in one eye compared to the other (may appear as blown/dilated pupil due to pressure or bleeding behind the eye). •Difficulty holding food when eating.
•Circling, head tilt, seizures, hydrocephalus and sudden death.

Hormonal disturbances
•Lactation (ejection of milk) in an aged non-pregnant female
•Decreased fertility
•Thinning skin
•Weight loss
•Excessive thirst (need to refill water bottles more than usual)
•Excessive excretion of very dilute urine
•Dehydration

She also stretches her back legs alot ..like Sophie used to do.

Videos:

http://s813.photobucket.com/albums/zz58 ... I_1892.mp4
You can see in the above video almostat the end she stretches her back legs.

http://s813.photobucket.com/albums/zz58 ... I_1893.mp4

she will slowly walk around the couch, then go to the coner and jsut sit there. Before yesterday she would explore longer ..but was stilll slow

Edit:

IMG_1928.jpg

IMG_1927.jpg

IMG_1924-1.jpg

IMG_1923.jpg

IMG_1922-1.jpg

IMG_1920.jpg

IMG_1917-1.jpg

IMG_1907.jpg

Hmmm...mini stroke? I am not seeing the circling at all. When I came home from my mom's I found Twiggy's inner ear infection had returned. He would run backwards then going forward his head tilt would make him go in circles...

She actually looks really good for a 27 month old girl. :thumbup:

That last bit of the first video looks like a stretch forward...I see that all the time, not an owwie stretch or anything like that.

I will put her on the floor and try to get a circling video.

She will nto turn to the left all the way, only to the right.
Her right eye is larger, the pupil is smaller and she head bumps when you pet her head.

Edit: So keep her on the baytril 0.22 and pred 0.15?

There is def something wrong. She's so slow, and careful ..she dosnt run llike she used to ..shes not bouncy ..all she wants issleep ..shes my first oldie ..so I dont know what to expect.

Ratty Momma said:
I will put her on the floor and try to get a circling video.

She will nto turn to the left all the way, only to the right.
Her right eye is larger, the pupil is smaller and she head bumps when you pet her head.

Edit: So keep her on the baytril 0.22 and pred 0.15?

Yes.

Inner ear, stroke and PT all start treatment the same. the blown eye could be from a stroke or the PT. But she's not showing the symptoms consistently. I have only seen a rat go from flat on her side to wobbly to walking around slowly with dex and baytril and it took 5 days.

Befor the event:
- sleeping much more
- perception way off (fall off ledges)
- walking slowly
- unsure if walking towards the right or if eye was buldge (I don't think so)

She noemal is always go go go, lots of enegy ..jumping off the couch, etc ..so the above is not like her ..hence why I thought it was old age.

After the event:
- sleeping alot more (my guess is the event took a toll on her)
- right eye buldged, pupil smaller
- walking towards the right, tries to walk to the left but stops.
- when cleaning or scratching the left side, falls over
- when sitting on back legs ..left leg slides out.
- still earting and drinking well
-still walking slow

Lilspaz has advised me to give her 0.28 ml pred once a day and 0.22 ml of baytril once a day. How long should I do this foe Lilspz?

Ratty Momma said:
Befor the event:
- sleeping much more
- perception way off (fall off ledges)
- walking slowly
- unsure if walking towards the right or if eye was buldge (I don't think so)

She noemal is always go go go, lots of enegy ..jumping off the couch, etc ..so the above is not like her ..hence why I thought it was old age.

After the event:
- sleeping alot more (my guess is the event took a toll on her)
- right eye buldged, pupil smaller
- walking towards the right, tries to walk to the left but stops.
- when cleaning or scratching the left side, falls over
- when sitting on back legs ..left leg slides out.
- still earting and drinking well
-still walking slow

Lilspaz has advised me to give her 0.28 ml pred once a day and 0.22 ml of baytril once a day. How long should I do this foe Lilspz?

See how she responds then we'll decide.

Back