Momma - Play Hard Beautiful, R.I.P <3

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This past month Momma started slowing down, I first thought it might have been early signs of HED. She was not climbing much, running much ..sleeping more. But today I took her out ..gave her some ensure ..she had what looked to be a very painful poop, some were hard, some were real soft, since then ..she has been just lying there crawling ..not actually walking on her legs more like dragging all of them, like she has no strength. this is not like her, she's usually jumping running ..not stopping.

She has also lost weight ..I am not sure how much ..but I can feel it ..I don't have a scale here atm, when I do I will weight her later tongiht.

I got her from pet's unlimited 21 months ago, 3 weeks after I got her she had 6 babies (Sophie, Oscar, Teddy, Bruno, Hunter & Toby) ..only Toby, Oscar & Teddy are still with us now. She was full grown when I got her ..so she's AT LEAST 27 months, or older.

She won't even take treats now ..since that painful poop. My vet is not in ..I don't know what to do. Thia is similar to what happen to Sophie :sad3:

Pics I just took:

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0036-1.jpg
[album][/album]

I can't do anything, but am really thinking of you and your girl...warm thoughts.

Sweety I'm so sorry. I remember I talked to Jo and Shelagh in chat about PT and a possible link to constipation (Grace also showed she was backed up in x-rays) and Shelagh said sometimes they may forget to drink - not necessarily to the point of being dehydrated but perhaps not enough to digest properly. If you can get more fluids into her that may help solve that issue. Otherwise start on Pred and talk to your vet about the other med Jo suggested. I'm so sorry... you love her so much and take such great care of her. I'm crying with you.

The rats i had when i was a little girl were acting like this when they got really old.
They lived 5 and 5 1/2 years. They were dragging on their legs but would still always come up to us.
I really hope for you this is something you can treat, if not she might be a the end of her life. :(

Just try to stay by her side untill you can get her to a vet.

Just back from the vet.

Suspected PT.

She's circling to the right, her right eye is bigger than the left, her balance is off to the right.

He said to start her on baytril and pred ..but only at once a day at .1 ml for both.
I know it's supposed to be twice a day for both ..so I need help with dosing.

She weighs 285 grams.

Pred: 1mg/ml
Baytril: 0.25 mg/ml

That episode she had, he said sounded like a mild seziure

She is acting normal now besides the circling and right eye bigger, lil off balance.

:sad3:

Okay I just want to make sure I have this right, said you vet said to give 0.1mL once a day? But you want help finding the dose that should be given twice a day?

EDIT: According to RMCA pred only needs to be given once a day. As for the baytril I think it only needs to be given once a day when its in combination with pred.

EDIT 2: Do you mean the baytril is 25 mg/mL and the pred 100mg/mL?

smilez_n_hugs said:
Okay I just want to make sure I have this right, said you vet said to give 0.1mL once a day? But you want help finding the dose that should be given twice a day?

EDIT: According to RMCA pred only needs to be given once a day. As for the baytril I think it only needs to be given once a day when its in combination with pred.

:wallbang: I thought pred and baytril were twice a day ..forget what I said.

But dose 0.1 ml once a day for both is right?

Sorry I edited my other post asking about the concentrations. 0.25mg/mL and 1mg/mL are really small. I would guess the baytril is 25mg/mL so is the pred 100mg/mL?

Back