Modifying FN's

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it is a lot easier than mesh, no cutting :p
and you only use about 10 zip ties per panel, or less.

lets see, i only covered two sides, since it's against a corner. so for me it's 24 grids, not too bad. if you're going to do 3 sides (assuming it is backed up against the wall) it would be 32 grids.

i think it would be easier for you to think about it as 16 grids per level, not counting the back.

So... I decided to go the length. I've ordered from Martin's custom size powder coated panels so I can ziptie them to my FN for when I have babies!!! Weeeee!

Oh wow, I didn't know you could do that! Not to be too tacky, but how much did they cost you? Just in case I have to get some, since it seems Fyn and Ensie are dead set on staying too tiny for the FN :roll:

I didn't get the full price yet but this is the breakdown:

8 @ 21.5" x 22.5" - $9.03 per panel= $72.24
8 @ 21.5" x 15.5" - $6.51 per panel= $52.08
10 @ 34.5" x 22.5" - $14.49 per panel= $144.90

I've doubled up on the panels cause I've ordered for my sister's FN as well.
With the Canadian dollar being so good right now, I figured now is the time to do it.
:D

Oh wow, what an awesome idea! I'll have to see how much it costs for one FN .

Did you include panels to put over the inside grates as well? I'm short on money right now, but perhaps in the future I could order some to replace the wire mesh. Would look much better and wouldn't have any pointy edges to worry about :)

Looking forward to photos! My young girls got big enough to be safe in the FN, so I forgot about ordering panels from Martins.

I would not mind getting some anyway, just because it would then be possible to attach the water bottles at the proper height.

What a Great idea !!
... the bar spacing and reported deaths associated with FNs concerns me.
Will have to measure my FN and order some panels from martins cages.

I was wondering about this exact thing for a while. But my young girls are currently not able to squish through their superpet bars so I'm not worried... for time time being. I'll definately need to do this the next time I'm adding to the colony...

I received my email telling me that my order has been shipped.
It ends ups costing me $170 to cover up an FN. But I think it will be well worth it for when I have escaping babies. :wink:

Back