Modifying FN's

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melissa

I bought some galvanized steel hardware cloth from Home Depot since they didn't have the green covered kind. A few people are telling me not to use it. I'm looking for suggestions. Is it really that bad? Where could I order or get the covered kind from? Is there anything else I can use to cover it so my females and babies can't get out?

Thanks

Do the people give you a reason why you shouldn't use it?
I've seen a few people do it. I believe Shelley has used it on hers for her girls and babies?

Shelagh said that urine will cause the galvanized steal to um... I forget the word but she said it would absorb the urine and it would get all icky.

That's true about galvanized steel... but there's not much choices out there. I used screening to cover mine and it's not holding up to good. :(

...well I have already cut the steel, lol. I don't have enough for the top and bottom so maybe i will order that... but that is an additional 60$ or so including the cloth I have alerady bought... oi.

I'm using the galvanized on the outside of my FN, and it's holding up well. No smell, and they hardly chew it. It probably depends on the rats, but I've found they prefer to chew the FN pans if they have a choice :roll: I offer them lots of chews and it hasn't been an issue.

What I have noticed with FNs, come cleaning day, I don't find any urine drops/pees/rivers near or on the bars. What's that all about? So galvanized mesh on the outside of the FN may work.
In fact it works for Shelley! :D

But... just the same, I will go with the green powder coating wire. Cause I really like the looks of it. :D

I tried looking at two home depots and a Rona.. and for the life of me couldn't find the green wire! I asked and they showed me what they had, and the only green wire was a plastic garden one which they for sure could have chewed to bits. I keep wondering why other people can find the green stuff. I wanted to use it :?

I've looked at both the home depot websites and home hardware. Nadda. I thought I got lucky at the home hardware website but it was all just galvanized.

I'm thinking when it comes time to modify my Superpet, I'll have to just buy the galvanized and get it powdercoated at a body shop.

Mike claims there is powdercoated window screen that can be found at WalMart. I've sent him off to find it. Will need to be altered to suit a waterbottle, but if that turns out to be a pain in the butt, no problem as my girls are really good about keeping their water dishes fairly clean.

We'll see what he turns up with.

Would welded stainless steel mesh work?? Is there any health concerns there?

My brother in law works at a screen manufacturer, and welds stainless steel all day.... I could probably get this through him.

If he can get me some, and it seems to work out and there's no health concerns or whatever, I might be able to supply it to members in the area who need it for exactly this reason.

Thoughts?

Back