Mister ---Aug 8th, 2007

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
I picked up Mister back in December. He was living in a small hamster cage with no toys, no hammocks, no hidey house, nothing. His food was thrown in the cage and the water was dirty. He looked awful, he was around 30 months old at the time, he had rear end problems, slow, tired, sick looking eyes and rough lungs. I brought him to our vet and she concurred that he was old and dying. So he went on baytril, was given a big cage and lots of love. Mister perked up, he started to look better and eat more. He was always gentle with me and loved to give me kisses. So I figured, time to give this old loner a girlfriend. My older spayed girl Bijou was having a hard time in the big crew cage, having to get her food from the young ones, so I thought this was the best thing for her.
They took to each other like glue. Mister was so happy to have his Bijou and Bijou was happy for the quiet life with a gentle old man forever grooming her.
They lived together like that for almost 6 months. Then I started adding other rats, those that were sick or dying to their big cage. (single FN) And Mister took to them right away, taking care of them, cleaning them, and watching over them. For a rat that was alone all of his life, he sure made up for it.

Last week, Mister had a neurological event, he started rolling, and he lost some mobility on his left side. With forced feeding, baytril and pred, he perked up a wee bit more but not much. I knew his time with me was short, it was time to say goodbye.
Last night, he ate well; he could walk better and looked strong. This morning, he was gone.
He gave it one last shot and just couldn't stick around. I found him next to Bijou, his eternal spot in the cage.
I love you Mister... goodbye.

smMisternose.jpg

smMisterBijoucupcake.jpg

smMistercubicus2.jpg

smBijouMistercubilove.jpg

smMisterprop.jpg

smMister.jpg

And always remembered as Bijou's hubby:

smMisterBijouprop2.jpg

I am crying at my desk. Wonderful, compassionate Mister will be missed by a whole lot of people. I am soo sorry Jo, I am glad he went on his own terms and with his beloved Bijou. You forgot to mention that sweet Mister's only interaction with other rats in his former life was when an in-heat female was tossed in his cage, and he had very little etiquette in the beginning. Bijou taught him all that and he took it to another level as those incredibly special ones often do.
Mister, your body is no longer failing you, and you can care for all those other wonderful rats waiting for Jo, who have gone on before you.

((((hugs)))) Jo! You and Bijou gave that wonderful beautiful old gentleman a reason to live well beyond what anyone expected. You can live off of love. :heart:

I'm so sorry :tearful: he was a wonderful manrat and I loved hearing your stories about him especially those with his lady. I'm glad you were able to know him for so long and he'll be waiting for you :angel2: I know you'll take good care of his girl though this difficult time, hugs to both you and Bijou :grouphug2:

Aw here I am at work crying, trying to hide the fact I am on this site.

I feel so fortunate to have met Mister this past weekend. Hugs to you and Bijou you should both be proud of how happy you made that manrat.

Mister, you touched a lot of people including me. You had a big heart and your love for bijou will always be remembered. You will be greatly missed.
Fly free, my sweet Mister, with your new angel wings. :angel2: :grave: :rose: :cries:

I'm grateful to not be at work. I can let these tears flow freely. Much as you know it's coming some part of you thinks maybe a special kid can live forever.
I'm so sad for you and Bijou that he's gone on. You & Bijou gave him the good life he so deserved and he gave back what he got. He was - and is - a good soul. And will be looking out for his ladies still.

Oh Mister, I loved you special, baby. Because you are special (and still loved). Fly free little man
SAngelRat2.jpg

I'm so sorry Jo, he's such a special rat. *hugs* to you and Bijou. He lived an incredibly long life, and was loved by both people and rats with a special bond. He's one of those rats whose story will remain with everyone for years to come.

Thank you guys!
I'm torn in burying him right away or keeping him for Bijou so the two can be buried together.

It's also hard to see Bijou right now, she keeps going around in circles in the cage, she's checking every corner... she's looking for her man. :cry2:

He lucked into the Rat Shack, they thought that he'd soon pass
They paired him up with Bijou and she loved his sexy ass.ets
I think they thought they'd both go soon, but pass in loving arms
But there's something life-sustaining about youth-renewing charms.

I suppose you've heard of Romeo and his soul mate Juliet
But those who think that's love at its deepest - they ain't seen nothing yet.
I don't expect there'll be a play or a movie or song to await
But we who were blessed to witness their love will always believe in soulmates.

Not all of us find that magic in love, but if we're happy for those that do
Then that joy will always reside within us, and be part of our spirit too.
Aging is sad tho inevitable, but when you share it with a friend
Then every day is a bright new beginning from it's dawn until it's end.

And Jorats & Mister & Bijou will be
Always a classic love tale to me.

Poor Bijou. I'm sorry Jo. Hugs to you. And kisses to Bijou.

Fidget said:
He lucked into the Rat Shack, they thought that he'd soon pass
They paired him up with Bijou and she loved his sexy ass.ets
I think they thought they'd both go soon, but pass in loving arms
But there's something life-sustaining about youth-renewing charms.

I suppose you've heard of Romeo and his soul mate Juliet
But those who think that's love at its deepest - they ain't seen nothing yet.
I don't expect there'll be a play or a movie or song to await
But we who were blessed to witness their love will always believe in soulmates.

Not all of us find that magic in love, but if we're happy for those that do
Then that joy will always reside within us, and be part of our spirit too.
Aging is sad tho inevitable, but when you share it with a friend
Then every day is a bright new beginning from it's dawn until it's end.

And Jorats & Mister & Bijou will be
Always a classic love tale to me.

Poor Bijou. I'm sorry Jo. Hugs to you. And kisses to Bijou.
*runs into corner at work and cries* That was so sweet and cute. :)

I am so sorry Joanne that Mister has left you. He had a great life with you here on earth. Now he will enjoy his new life at Rainbow Bridge yet waiting for Bijou.

Ann

Oh lord. I just found this thread now. I'm so sorry Jo. Sweet Mister will be dearly missed. Give Bijou lots of hugs and kisses from us all. Poor girl.

(((((((Jo)))))))))

(((((((Bijou))))))))

Back