Mini's Rescued Feeder Breeder pair, may need advice

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SQ, by cry, what do you mean?

Thanks EDK, me too, lol you can ask the girls in chat, I am freaking out, they had to (try to) calm me down and convince me everything will be ok >.<

I allowed them some "out time" which isn't really out, but in the cage they were both in 2 days ago (I figure she would still smell it like home, and because they are both being fixed on Monday, even if she wasn't obviously pregnant it would be taken care of) and I have a video. She would go up to him but then protest....

[BBvideo 450,375:2p0sppj6]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KupJorvLolU&feature=youtu.be[/BBvideo:2p0sppj6]

And this is where she likes to sit.....I can see why lol
IMG_1678.jpg

MiniFrog said:
SQ, by cry, what do you mean?

It is hard to describe ... that is the only word I could think of to describe the heartbreaking noise Gracie made when she saw/smelled the other girls.
After that she seemed happy and curious and wanted to get into their cage. But she had to be content with a nearby cage until she was introed to them

Kimmy and Stewie look like they are settling in well and are no longer terrified.
A big change in a short time. Great work!! :thumbup:

I have to admit, I am scared to let her out in case I cannot get her back in =/

I also figured out why there are shavings all over my floor.....someone chewed a small hole in the bottom of the tote, so the shavings are falling out.....a hole big enough to get a nose through, but I will have to patch it up and hope it lasts one more day LOL.....I haven't seen/heard any chewing so it might be old

They are looking great! The boy is pretty mellow, and I'll be he is going to make an awesome squishy man. The girl is very active - go, go, go is so much better than hiding in a corner. I wonder if she'll be a wheel runner when she gets one...
Good luck on Monday - we will all be thinking of them!

Don't stress on her squeaks...he's not pursuing her and she approaches him, she may just be a vocal girly. He grooms too hard and she protests or she's telling him "NO you big galoot I am not in heat right now!"...they seem relaxed and comfortable with each other and the scared girls eyes are now very curious and bright, she especially is really coming around!!

I pray the tote cage makes it through the next day or so for you!

I almost bought a larger wheel, but didn't bother because the one I have now is unused, good idea, I might put it in with her! I am going to get their new cage set up with temp replacement ramps, and some other things shortly. I love living in a small town with a locally owned pet supply store (don't worry, as far as I know the only live things they sell are fish, and that seems to depend on demand):

IMG_1691.jpg

2 new ladders, 2 new houses (yes that is a new hamburger) and a pack of 2 chew treats for $35......had I gone else where it would have been more, so yay.

lilspaz68 said:
Don't stress on her squeaks...he's not pursuing her and she approaches him, she may just be a vocal girly. He grooms too hard and she protests or she's telling him "NO you big galoot I am not in heat right now!"...they seem relaxed and comfortable with each other and the scared girls eyes are now very curious and bright, she especially is really coming around!!

I pray the tote cage makes it through the next day or so for you!

People keep saying that she looks like she is coming around based on her eyes, but I have no idea how you can tell that from the pictures LOL

We have seen it so many times that we recognize the difference...

Here you see her huddled behind her protector, her body language is tense and tight, her eyes are wide open, and I would bet she was either freezing a lot to "pretend not to be there", her ears were twitching to every sound or she was darting around in fear.

IMG_1654.jpg

the first video where she's diving under the bedding because the world is just too scary for her.

then today's pic...her eyes are wide open but they have a curious rather than a "deer in the headlights" look. Her ears are more relaxed as well as her body language.

IMG_1678.jpg

and the video showing her running on top of the bedding, grooming with you and him nearby very relaxed (grooming like that is a good sign) and approaching you at the top of the tote :thumbup:

She's making really good progress in her mind :joy:

lol, I guess is it the difference of being in a house that does not grab her by her tail, proper food, I don't know, but it has only been 2 days....

Apparently when I measured the ramps, I forgot that they were not edge to edge, and the ladders I got (the cheaper ones, my other girls have one as well and love climbing/chewing it, but I have it attached like a U) are not wide enough, so zip ties!! And if I notice that they are no using them, I an always try replacing the RUUD ramps, changing them I mean lol

IMG_1692.jpg

IMG_1693.jpg

It's not much, but it is still more than what they had IMO and they are near my other girls who are all piled on that side of the cage to check out the newbies lol

Well right now I am getting what I can, I put a wheel in there as well as 2 dishes of food (one fresh and one "dry") they are in their igloo right now, and I keep hearing squeaks and the igloo moves =/ I feel much safer with them in an actual cage, however I am unsure about leaving them together through the night.......just in case she does have babies I mean.

I don't think she's near her time if she is pregnant, but its hard to tell, plus she's not looking like she's nesting so I wouldn't worry too much about it, they are together and she looks very curious, she didn't used to come to you in the first vid, and this one now she does! wow thats a change :D

They are in their new cage, on the table next to the other cage (something that hubby is not loving lol, since it is right next to his PC desk)

IMG_1696.jpg

I opened the door, and Stuart came to see me:
IMG_1699.jpg

Kimmy poked her head out as if to say "Honey, who is it?"
IMG_1700.jpg

And my 2 large ones seem to be drawn to each other, they just sit there looking at each other. And Minnie is on the rope:
IMG_1704.jpg

I just wish I could keep the other hamburger lol, a hamster owning friend asked me to pick it up for her, because she loved mine so much, and it was the last one there, I hope they get more haha!

That's great that they're interested in each other. Make sure the cages are far enough apart though that they can't get their mitts on each other. One of my babies lost the tip of her tail because the cages were too close!

Joanne said:
That's great that they're interested in each other. Make sure the cages are far enough apart though that they can't get their mitts on each other. One of my babies lost the tip of her tail because the cages were too close!

Thank you! I never would have thought of that!! I went out and checked, lol, I used Honey since she is the largest, and her tail does not reach the other cage if she was to hold it out straight (she was not in the cage when I checked, so don't picture me pulling her tail out through the bars like it sounded >.<)

Kimmy is more active and exploring in her new cage, next to other rats, I am beginning to see what you mean (sorry the pictures are through the bars):

She is the one looking up at me:
IMG_1706.jpg

Nothing like bad husband breath eh? LOL
IMG_1707.jpg

She caught her husband looking at another girl! (Honey)
IMG_1708.jpg

This is horrible, but from this picture I cannot tell who is who, since sometimes they look the same color, but in reality she is whiter than his beige kinda siamese look I think he is the one in the front though
IMG_1709.jpg

When I open the door now, she will peek out at me, or even come see me, here she was sniffing me, but ran away when I got too close, at least she did not lunge at me though (to bite), so I will take it as a good sign lol
IMG_1710.jpg

And a video:
[BBvideo 450,375:1n362v3w]http://youtu.be/g1O4zgP-MsU[/BBvideo:1n362v3w]

I think you are right, fresh air, new "toys" and neighbours, and actual food.......and no more picking up but the tail!! I picked him up, and moved him out for the night, since he is easier. He is MUCH more calmer than she is, but is still timid. He was sniffing me earlier, but did not like me touching him, he did not try to bite me though. I was saying in chat, he is going to look mighty silly in a house full of pink LOL

And one more photo, while the other 3 girls were checking out the new neighbours through the bars, Mitzi was snoozing, lol, she only opened her eyes because I opened the cage door:
IMG_1705.jpg

Really really cute girls you have there! I have never had girl rats before and always admire those that do for their cute sparkling energetic playful nature. I got boys because I love to cuddle, but really only 2 out of my three boys like to cuddle for a short time then they are off to play and rough house again, which leads me to think, whether male or female they are gonna play anyway! I don't plan on getting girls any time soon, not till my boys pass away which again, better NOT be for a long time, but someday i will hehe :D your doing great with the new guys Mini! Keep it up! And good luck on Monday!

This is really turning into a fairy tale for these two. I love how my girls used to be excited to see other rats next to them. Then they got boyfriends and now they huff and puff at them. Your girls see a man, and they are trying to be the "other" women. Kimmy might wanna watch out she will have competition soon.

I am hoping that my constant updates are not getting annoying, but since I have never dealt with rescued rats before, I am trying to look for as much input from more experienced people as possible, lol, so I apologize now if I double post.

I weighed Kimmy today, she is back down to 290g and I forgot to take a picture of her belly, but when she is in the large cage, she does not appear to have one, it is only when she is in the small one.........I don't know if she reasorbed the babies or if my scale was out of whack yesterday :?

She did however rearrange the cage, pushed all the fleece bits out of the igloo (when he went back in this morning after flipping the igloo first backwards then upside down, someone, and I do no know who, pulled it all back in along with a lot of shaving to make a nice little bed):

(she looks like she is saying "yes, can I help you?")
IMG_1711.jpg

After I weighed her, I turned my back, and heard a chewing/chattering sound.....she was at the bars wanting to get closer to my other girls!
IMG_1714.jpg

This morning I got excited when I put my hand in the cage she sniffed it again, but this time her nose made contact with my finger!! (and then she ran away) She did this twice, but then later nipped at my finger, a few times, both when I offered her food and when I just allowed her to sniff it, but it did not hurt like that first day, it was just a "tester nip" the kind that they do to see if you taste good or not LOL she did it, I must have tasted aweful, she ran to the other side of the shelf, turned to look at me, came back tried it again, and then ran into the igloo (she was on the top shelf) but at least now I know they are using the ladder ramps, so this is good.

[BBvideo 450,375:fjfnu6vy]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIo0r5VEBQw&feature=youtu.be[/BBvideo:fjfnu6vy]
(please excuse the last part there, Hayden found an old empty bottle of medicine in his cabinet that he did a monkey climb to get, and has been asking for some, says he ate something bad and is sick, but don't worry he cannot open it even if it did have any in it LOL)

Since I have been posting about her, I thought I would update about him. Stuart/Stewie (still not sure I like the name though lol) seems to be a big boy!! I put my hand on the top of the cage and he reached up to smell it, I took note at which bar his nose went to, and measured it....a foot!! I did put him back in with her again today, and the normal squeaking took place, but it was only at first, and I watched them closely.

IMG_1719.jpg

IMG_1723.jpg

Is it just me, or does it seem like he is a little bit cleaner now?
IMG_1726.jpg

[BBvideo 450,375:fjfnu6vy]http://youtu.be/JGOH12FtgE8[/BBvideo:fjfnu6vy]

While I was waiting on that video to upload, I peeked in at them, and saw the cutest thing, so I had to take a picture of it!! Sorry for it being through the bars, but it was the best shot I could get since they were in the igloo and if I had opened the door, they would have moved:
IMG_1727.jpg

And hopefloats, I am thinking she might be glad to be rid of him, I might have to serve as a divorce lawyer as well :giggle: I guess I should not have forced them into marriage at such a young age, but it was more like a shot gun wedding, if you know what I mean :cheeky:

Back