Melissa WAS sick...look at her now!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godmother

I've been home for two days, and had originally planned to pick up my girls from the sitter yesterday. She had to work yesterday, so asked me to get them today instead. When we spoke to arrange a time, I found out that a close family member was in hospital for a few days and that she'd been spending most of her time at the hospital. She had noticed that my Melissa was listless and not interested in the baby cereal treat.

When I got the girls I realized that Melissa is really sick. She had laboured breathing, noises audible without even having to do "rat phone", and had porphyrin staining on her nose.

Luckily it was her own vet on call tonight. He told me to give her Lasix (I had already persuaded her to take some Pediapred and some Baytril) to see if that would help, otherwise I could bring her in. However there is a blizzard and the roads are really bad here.

The Lasix helped to the point that she accepted a few peas from my husband and ate them. the vet and I figured that she must not be near death in that case, so I will take her in for the first available appt tomorrow.

I hope that was the right decision. She is having problems breathing. Should I give her some Pred?

The vet suspects a heart problem, since her lungs sounded clear only a week or so before I went away. he will X-ray her. I suppose I could also try her on Fortekor; I still have some from when Rhonda was alive, and it might still be good.

How awful to find your rattie ill.

I'm a bit confused. Didn't you already give her some prednisolone when you gave her the Pediapred? If you meant prednisone, I'm not certain if it's okay to give this and prednisolone on the same day, besides it may not be necessary at any rate to give a second anti-inflammatory.

When I took Chutney to the vet (who was recently diagnosed with heart problems), I was told by the vet that if my rats have difficulty breathing, I can give a single emergency dose of 2 mg prednisolone / 500g. If you do give a higher dose, be sure to tell your vet when you have your appointment.

I do hope Melissa recovers well.

Dewi

Woops, I meant Pedialyte! :oops: (not Pediapred) No wonder you were confused!

I was thinking of giving Melissa some Fortekor left over from Rhonda, but it has outdated. Evidently Fortekor won't hurt, but it will help if the rat has CHF.

Hmmm... not sure if it's okay to give out of date meds. I guess it depends on how out of date it is. If it's 3 months or less, I'd personally be tempted to give it. If you haven't given the pred, then it would make sense to do so. I'd say that in the short term, the lasix and pred will suffice.

Dewi

I made a big mistake by not taking her in when I had the chance, blizzard or not. I had a hard time giving her more Lasix in the middle of the night; she has been struggling to breathe and won't take much in, even from my finger. I was up with her until 0500, then had to get some sleep. I wasn't sure that she would be alive when I woke up, but she was.

The blizzard continues here. My vet will be in by noon, and by then the clinic should have opened. A lot of places are closed down today because of the storm (including my workplace, thank heavens).

The Fortekor is very outdated. I'd forgotten that, when Rhonda died, the sitter forgot to re-frig her meds, so I had to throw them out. I did have her previous meds in the back of the frig, but they probably outdated in October.

Luckily the Lasix helps for a bit. She licked a bit of porridge mixed with Pedialyte off my finger, and now she's back hunkered down in the nice new hammock.

you have done everything I would've done. I jsut put my rats on baytril/zithro instead. Then some pred or dex to reduce the inflammation in those poor lungs. I gave Kyrie some dex for the first time when she was having a rough day. It helped. She seems better now but I know its only a matter of time.

Sweet Melissa. :(

Kyrie and Melissa look almost like clones; they are the spitting images of their daddy. Looks like all three are having chronic respiratory problems.

My vet wants to treat conservatively until we have the diagnostic X-ray, which I will be getting tomorrow. He was taken aback at the amount of fluid in her lungs, so wants me to continue Lasix and Baytril. he wanted to give her some subcutaneous Lasix, but the clinic had run out of injectable lasix over the holidays (the four winter storms didn't help).

he can't tell whether Melissa has pneumonia or CHF. As soon as she has the X-ray we can do more focused treatment.

she will be on Baytril, maybe even Baytril/Doxy, for the rest of her life. Her lungs had been clear before Christmas so I had discontinued it. She is only 20 months old.

He said that giving her some of Rhonda's old Fortekor shouldn't hurt, so I'll do that too.

I was terrified that I wouldn't be bringing her home alive, but she is holding her own. I can't feed her much at one time, because she has increased respiratory distress after eating.

It's hard that so many of us are battling illnesses and mourning the deaths of our heart rats over the last week or so.

It does sound like it could be pulmonary abscesses. :(
Both my Archie and Fred are on Baytril for life and I've just added Zithro too.
I really do hope she pulls through.

Update on Melissa: I just gave her some more Lasix and Baytril. She was able/willing to eat half of it out of the dish and took the rest off my fingers. Her tongue is stronger; I hope that she has turned a corner.

Wonderful news!!! C'mon you big and beautiful girl...keep going, stick around a little longer for your Mom!

Its funny in a way. Kyrie has lung issues, but never has porph, still bounces (rather flubbery bouncing) when I handwrestle with her, and I only know when its time for her to be back on meds when her breathing worsens.

Kyrie wishes her sister well
Kyriepancake.jpg

Thanks for all the well wishes! They sure seem to be helping.

(It's lovely to see Kyrie! :heart: )

A few minutes ago I was amazed to see Melissa wandering up and down the levels in the cage. She even accepted a Cheerio, then dug into a dish of leftover porridge! So I put in a plate of various things, e.g. boiled egg, banana slices, baby cereal and mushed lab blocks. She grabbed a piece of egg and tucked right into it. Of course she is now paying the price; she's back inside the ball, resting up while she digests. She probably hasn't eaten for a few days, judging from how hungry she seemed and by how she still seems a bit unsteady on her feet.

But she is recovering!!!! :bliss: I am so happy, so grateful for my good fortune to have her with me a while longer.

Back