Mama&babies left at work! Bloody pee?Talked to Vet 11/27

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slapdash

So here we go again lol, a mama rat, who looks pretty young, was dropped off with her one or two day old babies yesterday at my job, I am trying to find out more info, being that shes a PEW, I think she was snake food of some sort. So I hand raised Annie when she was over a week old but have never cared for pinkies and a mama before. So throw any advice at me please. I've been reading a lot and have the perfect cage with tiny bar spaces, but when I transfer them from the tank they're in now does it matter who I move first mommy or babies? And what food should I have her on? I'm sure I'll have more questions soon... going to pick them up now.

Gac6bGE.jpg

Momma will take care of them, keep them warm and feed as much as she will eat. I would move momma first then the babies. Since you are taking them home you can feed her some baby cereal, scrambled eggs extra protein and many more pics will be required for my baby fix. :giggle:

Oh goodness, I'm sorry this has happened but they are with the right person now thank you for taking them on. :thumbup:
I'm sorry can't throw any advice your way I have no experience with pinkies.
The mumma looks so beautiful in that picture.
Good luck and keep us updated and I agree with eagle lots of pinkie pictures please!

Oh they are adorable.
Koodos to you for taking them on.

Momma will do everything for them. You just need to move momma first and then the babies, you may want to take some of the bedding they are on now and out in the new cage for a familiar smell :)
You can feed momma some high protein foods like scrambled eggs, sunflower seeds, ensure, etc

Thank you, they're all settled in their new cage and she seems much happier. I've already seen her nursing then twice =) She was also very well mannered when I moved her. Will post some pictures tonight, I want to let her settle in before I take the babies for a minute and check them out.

I'm so glad they dropped them into your lap - at least we know they are in awesome hands! If momma was well-mannered when you moved her little family, then she is a keeper. :D

Beautiful mama! She does look young. But atleast you got her! Handle the babies everyday for about 10-15 minutes so they can get used to being handled. Once they get fur you can handle them for longer. Take pictures everyday to see how much they change; you'll be so surprised! Also, feed the mama some egg. She'll love it! Are you keeping her and the babies, or..? If not, I'd start posting a few ads at vets, etc. And you can even start sexing them now!

Hi everyone,
Mama and babies still doing well this morning :) Was able to snap just a couple pictures last night, tried to get some to help determine their sex but they didn't come out very clear will try again later today. But both babies look to be the same gender and I'm thinking female. I'm thinking they were born Monday or Tuesday. They both also seem to have dark eyes and markings on their backs. Still can't believe how good mama is about me checking them out, hubby just kept feeding her pasta and she could care less lol when I took him out this morning though I did not see any milk bands like I did yesterday should they always be full? Unfortunately I have to go to work now but will update later with more pictures. Thanks again!

4C7m2ri.jpg

RrRbfyv.jpg

qWOu1Q5.jpg

Ev8j7EP.jpg

ks9A2iL.jpg

Oh my goodness, they are so cute. That really good about the mumma letting you check the babies. Thank you for sharing! :heart:

You won't always see a milk band so as long as mom is taking good care of them there's no need to worry. From what I can see in the pics I also think they are females which means no needing to separate them! (*fingers crossed* that they are indeed females :giggle: )

Thanks again everyone, Mama and both babies are doing so well :) Still haven't come up with a name for her yet but this young girl is so good to her babies and is really coming around to us ;the scrambled eggs, pasta, soymilk and other nutritious treats she's been spoiled with have definitely been helping with that. And she was getting silly trying to play with me last night, her own babyish side is still showing lol I got some more pictures last night, both babies are looking like they'll have dark colors and I am keeping my fingers crossed they are both girls, I did get slightly better gender pictures. Also I've been replacing any soiled paper towels and picking up stray poops but do you think I could clean the cage tonight or should I wait a little longer? Starting to stink a little lol

PXtCWNt.jpg

qmv9O8n.jpg

tVBVTTW.jpg

WtIMMCS.jpg

2m63Yo0.jpg

You can clean the cage if you want it is not like with hamsters and mice where you can not disturb their surroundings. Can't wait to watch these babies grow up.

Oh my gooooooooosh!!!!!!!!! x333333333 <333333333333333333333

Sometimes, I think that if we just plastered every inch of the world with baby rat pictures, no one would ever be sad or upset or angry ever again. How can you, looking at THAT?! <3333

Back