Mama&babies left at work! Bloody pee?Talked to Vet 11/27

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys ! Everyone's doing so well and babies have started to get the slightest bit of fuzz =) Have quite a few pictures from today and yesterday had to put them in an album because there were so many lol
And some of them just kept repeating sorry about the duplicate s
http://imgur.com/a/PsC5D

Awwww, the babies are going to have little white socks! :heart:
Momma's a beauty too - the babies definitely take after their daddy though, if she's a smeeze.

Aww, i love little pinkies. My first rat I had ever had, had babies and I got my first experience with little pinkies, I kept one and she was the best rattie girl, RIP Pocha 8/2012. :( Hopefully mom and babies keep doing well (and that they're all girls so no seperating) so cuteeeee!

Hello,
Sorry I haven't posted sooner, it's been such a long week at work, but the babies are getting cuter every day! And Mama is honestly one of the most amazing rats we've ever known. Her nature is so sweet and submissive, she's still learning to trust people because who knows how she was treated prior, being a PEW she had to have been a feeder. She's never bitten though she just would run and hide or cower the first couple of days. Now, with a little bonding time each day. she looks forward to our company, loves getting scritches, but does still cower a little at first, and has even rolled on her back multiple times when we're petting her :heart: , and has been returning the affection with kisses. From almost day one, we've been appropriately calling the babies, Peanut (because she was so tiny compared to the other at first) and Hippo, because she not only looked like a little Hippo but was also the bigger one. All along I planned on giving them other "official" names but those have really stuck lol So Peanut and "Harriet" the Hippo it is :lol: I created an album of most of their pictures from day one on photobucket, ( http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a293/Slapdash09/Mama and Babies ) but here are a couple of my favorites, so far :heart:

Peanut

and Hippo :heart:

I have a lot of favorites lol We still don't have a real name for the little Mama, that's just what we've been calling her. Suggestions welcome, I want to name her something to do with mothering/nurturing. Thanks everyone!

Great pictures! They are so adorable.....
Soon their eyes will be open and you won't be able to get any pics because they'll be off running. :D
I did a search for mother names, so here are a few from other languages:
Nai, Mari, Nene, Matka, Macii, Ema, Maji, Uma, Majka, Tina, Ammee

Joanne said:
What we really need is an update!

I know, I'm sorry lol with Thanksgiving coming It's been crazy at work all week and I'm just getting in now so I will have to post pictures tomorrow because I have the day off :bow: The babies couldn't be doing any better but I'm starting to question if they are really girls. They're so fuzzy, their eyes have been opened and In the past few days they've started getting silly and hand wrestling with us, we'll finger wrestling really lol Mama is also doing excellent and loves spending time with us! thanks again for all your help I will post more tomorrow :mrgreen:

Hi everyone, so I'm really worried about the newly named (Mama) Melody, up until yesterday she has been seemingly very healthy. But she was making some respiratory sounds yesterday and just a little while ago when cleaning the cage I noticed some paper towel with what seems to be blood stained urine :sad3: I now this can't be good news. Do you think some sort of infection? Calling the vet in the morning, on the bright side, I've been watching her like a hawk ever since and she peed a few hours later and it was much lighter colored. And she's been doing a really good job hiding it if she is in any pain, because she was as playful and happy as ever just now! I'm going to call the vet first thing in the morning.

Some good news; these babies are amazing, from what I could guess tomorrow or Wednesday they will be three weeks old already! They are so playful now, here are some of the most recent shots...

Day 11

Day 13(2 days later)

Oh and do you still think girls??? I'm worried I'm starting to see a bulge on Hippo lol

I hope Mama will be OK!

The babies are SO adorable!!! But I see what you mean about the bulge. Luckily you still have a while before you have to worry.

So I called the vet yesterday and she wasn't in until this morning, but I had talked to her tech who said if she's otherwise acting ok eating and drinking it could most likely wait until she was in because the other two vets only see dogs and cats. So she called back today and said that TMS suspension which I already have should be safe to start her on with the babies and that there are a few things it could be such as UTI, some sort of complication from birthing or other infection. And since then all her pee has been seemingly clear? So would you start her on the abs? I'm cautious, if its not necessary, of giving it to her while she is still nursing. But this is the first time I've ever had a rat with blood in their urine and the first pregnant rat I've owned lol ,so I'm torn as to what the best decision is?? Thanks again everyone! Meanwhile the babies are getting so big and playing alllll the time =) Will post some pictures tomorrow

Hmmm, I would be hesitant to start her on any medication while she is nursing if she may not need it. If you are convinced that her pee is normal now, I might hold off and monitor her.

Back