Maddy sad UPDATE: PTS a few minutes ago

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godmother

We separated the two oldest girls, plus Rilla, a couple of days ago when we noticed the younger ones bullying them. One day Maddy had a lot of fresh blood, and I thought there was a scratch, so I was sure the blood was from that. This morning and yesterday I had seen no blood, so I relaxed.

Tonight I went to give them their evening veggies and Maddy did not rush out. I found her lying very still in the back of the cage. I pulled her out to check her over, and I saw that she seemed to have blood coming from her vaginal area. SQ had thought so a couple of days ago, so she was right.

Maddy is really anemic. The cloth she'd been lying on has a lot of blood, and her ears and paws are pale. It is not affecting her appetite or enthusiasm for food, however. She was drinking water, and I gave her some nutritious food right away... several things in the fridge that had high iron and protein content. She is already on Baytril/Clavamox for respiratory infection, but I will have to switch the Clavamox for something that fights Myco. A few years ago I almost lost three little black berk girls to a similar problem; Zithro fixed them up like magic, so I will ask for that. Meanwhile I have to keep her going. I see no fresh blood at the moment, and she is eating and moving around, so I think she'll be OK for the night.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

I'm concerned that she had the bleeding while on baytril and clavamox. I'd get her gatorade as well, make sure she stays warm.
I had a few rats with hematuria. There's not much you can do if they don't respond to meds. Unless it's something like an internal tumour that is causing the bleeding.

She is still the same this morning. I was so relieved that she isn't worse, although there was some more blood (dilute) on the cloth she was sleeping on. she took her meds well. I will see if she'll take something like V8 juice, which has lots of electrolytes. I think that SQ has some Zithro, and I will also call to see if the on-call vet knows about rats.

I have some Chlorpalm, which is good for Myco. If I can't get hold of SQ I may try that.

lilspaz68 said:
Frida was bleeding on baytril/doxy...once I put her on baytril/zithro she stopped...who knows why.
That is weird cause aren't they both broad spectrum, but if it works, that's great. I would also think that Chlorpalm should work as well.

My Charolette died because she was anemic, even after the vet put her in an oxygen chamber, gave her fluid injections, and medicine injections. It is great that your rat is eating and drinking, though. I would advise you take her to the vet as soon as you can, if she has internal bleeding. Poor thing. ):

As we know I went through 3 bleeding girls, most stopped after a few days of meds. I still had to have them all spayed for other reasons mostly but I would of done it because of the bleeding alone. It is terrifying. I wish you and her luck! I hope the meds stop the bleeding.

Yes, it is really frightening. Maddy was spayed a long time ago, but I suspect she may have a bladder infection. I am so thankful that she is still eating and drinking. She seemed a little better before supper, and she was last seen curled up sleeping with Lexi. She is not crazy about the Zithromax, so I will mix it with more disguises this evening.

Lexi will be having a mammary tumour removed in the morning. I will put Maddy in the carrier with her and ask if the vet could look her over after he has finished his surgeries for the morning. Hate to face the thought of my girls getting old and sick.

She is now much, much worse. She is wandering around aimlessly -- seems frantic at times, although her breathing is not bad. She can't seem to eat, and she just seems confused. I am wondering if she also has PT? or whether the lack of blood has affected her brain? or whether she has a metastasizing tumour?

She is in a very bad way, although at least she is not dehydrated. When I hold her her body seems almost to be vibrating. I told her how much I loved her and enjoying having her and Lexi here. I think it's the end for her.

I wondered about pain, especially when I thought about the possibility of an internal tumour. She is not on anything for pain, and I am not sure I could get anything into her. I do have Metacam in the house, though.

I would, my girls looked like they were on deaths bed till the metacam kicked in. Even if it is forced in her, she may need it. How is the bleeding?

Back