Luke 3/31/13 to 6/9/15

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Benazapril- can't see his heart right now but using for now.
Oh yeah - I am very hip on dehydration. He drinks well & I give cereal mixes too, to add extra fluids anyways. I AM SO SICK OVER THIS!

I don't know that I would put my rat on heart medication just because the vet couldn't see the heart on the x-ray. I do believe I would want more than that. I don't know if using a heart medication when it isn't needed will cause any damage or not.

http://ratguide.com/meds/cardiovascular_drugs/benazepril_hydrochloride.php

Last edited:
If benazepril helps then he has a heart problem and atenolol is added,
however it may be hard to tell because any improvement may be due to the Lasix

hope he is soon feeling better and hope it is just a n infected cyst

From the last pic you put up that definitely looks like a tumour. I am so sorry. Keep trying to clear his lungs, its all you can do beyond spoiling him and trying to enjoy each day.

From the last pic you put up that definitely looks like a tumour. I am so sorry. Keep trying to clear his lungs, its all you can do beyond spoiling him and trying to enjoy each day.

Yes you are right, the lungs are the main focus right now.
I just look at him & cry sometimes. He's gone from healthy to almost critical like overnight. If love could cure him - he would be very healthy now.

Just as the vet did, I hear clicking noises when rat phoning him.
No wheazing. His breathing is no better at all w/ the Lasix.
I think I will call vet back Monday & report this. He has been on Lasix 22mg 3xdaily for (after today) 2 full days

Last edited:
My boy finley had a tumor identical to that. We removed it and ti came back, we removed it again. It was an ugly one. Not long after it came back his abdomen began to fill with fluids. Can you get a video of him? so we can see how bad he is?

My boy finley had a tumor identical to that. We removed it and ti came back, we removed it again. It was an ugly one. Not long after it came back his abdomen began to fill with fluids. Can you get a video of him? so we can see how bad he is?

I have never been able to do videos.

No, vet says his abdomen looked fine. It's his lungs & the Lasix is not working. :mad: I don't wanna up the dose to 4x a day cuz then his kidneys are in danger. Lasix did not work on his sister either. If it's cancer - then nothing will work for the fluid, right? I believe that is the norm w/ cancer. Vet totally agreed, that if it's cancer that has brought the fluid to be then there is not much hope -

He is the first of my ratties that I have euthanized:sad-p:

Yesterday after work I took him. It had just reached the point where he was truly suffering. When I came home for lunch yesterday he went into a gasping fit for a good 10-15 minutes. He has had a few of these before but not as long as this one. Afterwards he basically collapsed from exhaustion. For the past few days it has been almost impossible to give him his meds because he does not want them and was such a struggle to get his doses down. It upset him terribly. He still would eat the porridges I made for him & was keeping hydrated but he was just so tired and depressed sometimes. He would still boggle when he layed on my chest each evening & he loved always sleeping next to his bubbie Matthew but other than that he was not himself and I knew he was suffering. Knowing how he must have felt I could not take having him go on like this knowing there was nothing else I could do to make him better. I am so glad he was able to celebrate his 2nd birthday with his brothers in March. So my Lukie lived to be 27 months. He was a Mama's boy and I will miss him more than I can express.

Run & play hard at the brige honey, I love you.

Back