Luke 3/31/13 to 6/9/15

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2Rats

So it appears to be getting some reddish color around that center pimple looking thing.

Tonight I will start warm compresses ( thanks 911 - great idea ) & maybe even a warm soak. We'll see how the bath ends up going :shower:

Is that a blister?

I don't know what it is...I guess it could look like a blister, but I don't know he could have got one. The redness that is now forming around it just started a couple of days ago. Should I start antibiotic along w/ soaking? Can I use Epsom salt ?

I'm not sure what to say about that. Could it be a bug or spider bite? I'm going to try and remember to show picture to my vet tomorrow. Does it seem to bother him?

She doesn't know what that is either. Could be an abscess or cyst, but she concerned about the swelling around it so its possible its a tumor.

She doesn't know what that is either. Could be an abscess or cyst, but she concerned about the swelling around it so its possible its a tumor.

Me & Lukie thank you so much for taking the time out to take the picture w/ you to the vet! YOu are just the awesomest!:wow2:

It does not appear to bother him. I am thinking / HOPING that it is a cyst. Last night I put some mud/mask stuff I use for cleaning pours. When it dried, I ran very warm water over it for a bit. It either felt good to him or he was scared becuz he pooped a mountain while the water ran over him. Then I took some Epsom salt and kept heaping wet granuals on & off the spot w/ warm water. It best not be a tumor. He is allowed 1 tumor per life. And remember he had that whopping huge one not too long ago?! Opposite side.
My hubby said it looked like a mesquito bite....either way I need to get it to a head & get stuff out of it. It is very hard under the skin.

I was HOPING some goo would have come out by now - but no

I think it's time to start saving for a very posibble surgery:wrong:. I dunno, but I DO know that this is nothing like the mammary tumor he had a while back. This is different. Ugggghhhh
We have an office visit set up for May 30th....

Last edited:
I know & I HATE IT!-- He does not act like it hurts him, I lightly press around on it & sometimes he boggles @ the same time it but then he is one of those rats that would not do anything if you cut his tail off.

Are your boys' winkies a darkish color?

Yesterday Luke went to the vet.
Took an xray -- his lungs very full of fluid - dr c/n see the heart.
What I thought was for sure a keratin cyst - he says is a tumor. Says that The cysts are normally soft & movable - but this one is hard.
I noticed day before yesterday that his testicle looked lopsided. Dr says that one is swollen. Could be cancer or bacterial - leans more for cancer. Also he stated that there were some areas within his body xray that he could not ID, so possible cancer. WTF?!?! - NO I can't think of this now.
Giving him the heart meds & Lasix, wants me to keep him on Baytril & of course pain meds as needed. Can't remove growth or neuter if lungs stay like they are.
He licks at the growth & sometimes it will slightly bleed. Don't know how to stop him from this.

Pain meds are the best way to stop him from bothering the lump. I'm sorry the news is not good. We can always hope the vet is wrong. Did he do a Fine Needle Aspiration (FNA) to confirm his diagnosis of the lump? I have had very hard globs of keratin in some cysts.

Pain meds are the best way to stop him from bothering the lump. I'm sorry the news is not good. We can always hope the vet is wrong. Did he do a Fine Needle Aspiration (FNA) to confirm his diagnosis of the lump? I have had very hard globs of keratin in some cysts.

no...so maybe it still "might" be. I am clinging onto anything right now.
He is my sweet boy & loves life.

Which heart meds?
Are you test dosing for a heart issue?

It sounds like it is possible he has an resp. issue .... I would suggest you try baytril + azithromycin (10 mg/Ib, by vet prescription from a pharmacy), orally, twice a day for at least 6 weeks if it helps

Watch out for dehydration as dehydration kills and Lasix increase the risk of dehydration

Which heart meds?
Are you test dosing for a heart issue?

It sounds like it is possible he has an resp. issue .... I would suggest you try baytril + azithromycin (10 mg/Ib, by vet prescription from a pharmacy), orally, twice a day for at least 6 weeks if it helps

Watch out for dehydration as dehydration kills and Lasix increase the risk of dehydration

Benazapril- can't see his heart right now but using for now.
Oh yeah - I am very hip on dehydration. He drinks well & I give cereal mixes too, to add extra fluids anyways. I AM SO SICK OVER THIS!

Back