Loss of hair

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Ears

Stella has alot of scabs coating her body. Her biggest one is on her head, a little behind her ears. Up close, I have noticed that it is the size of my pinky finger nail. Also, around all her scabs, especially the one on her head, she is loosing hair. I am curious to know if this is normal or not. I am not sure if I am able to, but I will try to post some pictures of the head scab tommarow morning.

Oh, that's a toughy. I'm not sure my parents will take me to the vet. They aren't really hot on information on the health and care of rats. They don't believe Stella has a mite/flea/lice promblem. She's had the scabs all her life, for two years.

you need to get either revolution or ivermectin paste. the revo you get online, or at a vet, and the ivermectin paste you can get at a farm store...
You will NEED to treat ALL of your rats, lice and mites are going to be on ALL of them now....

Keep in mind this is painful and if left, it can be a cause to a slow death.
:(

I read about poor Shelagh's Faith. Fortunately, Stella's boo-boos aren't even close to being that serious. I can't find anything in her fur that is moving. My parents think it's from scratching, but then again, they aren't vets, so I'm not so sure. As I said, I will try my best to post pictures tommarow morning so that it may be easier to diagnose.

It was not meant to see if it was the same as Faith (IMO)
I think it was more for your parents to see what COULD come out of it to hopefully change their opinion on bringing Stella to a vet.

You can put a "bandaid" on the problem by covering her [always careful of the eyes/ears] in olive oil. It will drown the adults but not the eggs that will hatch and continue to bite her.

Remember that this isn't a long term solution or a cure like Revolution and Ivermectin. Poor baby.. two years of being eaten by bugs. Just the thought makes me itchy.

Mites are micoscopic. Vets sometimes take a hair and put it under a microscope to diagnose mites, most tell from the scratching, and the red 'spots' mostly around the neck/shoulders, chin and sides, which are from the animal scratching.

HOPEFULLY i will be getting a new rat in a few weeks, and wether she has the symptoms or not, she is going to be getting a mite treatment whilst in quarantine before she goes anywhere near my boys :)

Back