Large open wound!! Please help! (Updated)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only time I have separated a rat over something like that was Abu-Boo. He was literally out to kill Blazer and would viciously attack him the minute they were together, and it was so sad because Blazer was an absolute sweetheart. Abu-Boo was neutered already when he did that damage, but he was the worst case of rat on rat aggression that I have ever experienced.
Below is the wound that Blazer sustained. The entire shoulder was ripped apart and flapping open, and I could see that the muscle underneath was compromised as well. I was concerned about the damage to the muscle in his case, so I took him to the emergency vet and they stitched him up.
blazerwound4sm.jpg

blazerwoundsm.jpg

And just because Blazer was so damn adorable, I will include a couple more of him recovering with his brother. :)
blazerwash17sm.jpg

blazerwash3sm.jpg

blazerwash11sm.jpg

blazerwash16sm.jpg

ouch!!, i havent seen anything like that with my two, there has been less agression each intro, and thro was starting to get a little more easy going with the other, i shall take the advice and move freyr off fo thor when he does the top groom. What about the butt pushing? freyr tends to push his but onto thor, then try to climb backwards on him

I hope that Thor is doing better!! It looks like an absess that burst. Delilah had a scabbed over wound and when I kept it clean it healed nicely. You never know when they need emergency care. I still owe $700.00 to my line of credit for the girls spays and Onion visit the day he died. Well worth it even when they get hurt and turn your hair grey!! :gaah:

What a pain in the butt boy!! so, iam was attempting to rinse it with the saline, it was actully pretty closed up, but opend a bit apon rinseing, i dont see any sign of infection, but he was such a squirmy boy!! i eventually had to wrap him up befor ei could even see it to clean it!

What are you using to clean it? It is probably easiest to just squirt the saline on it with a syringe or pour a bit on the area. I wouldn't be wiping it with anything.

Yep, they never do want to hold still when you need them to! I was lucky with my girl Mac. She pulled open her spay incision [outside skin only], so I got to hold her on her back and blow zerberts on her chest to keep her occupied while I flushed her abscess.

javakittie said:
Yep, they never do want to hold still when you need them to! I was lucky with my girl Mac. She pulled open her spay incision [outside skin only], so I got to hold her on her back and blow zerberts on her chest to keep her occupied while I flushed her abscess.
are they not the silliest little buggers on this eart :D thats why i love them!! so picky!! iam finnaly starting to think of freyr as 'may rat' and starting to bond, hes a squbly guy.. and iam starting to learn how he likes things.. even if he sounds like hes nagging at me

jorats said:
I should print that out... I'm always in a panic when it happens and never can remember. Thanks Kat!!!

I just remember that saline solution is made up of 0.9% salt (sodium chloride). So in 1 litre of water I add 2 teaspoons (approximately 9 grams) of table salt.

Darcy, I'm sooo glad to hear he's doing better, they do tend to heal amazingly quickly. Big (((hugs)))) to you and your boys (Thor is such an adorable rat, thanks so much for letting meet up with him, I look forward to making Freyr's acquaintance in the future!).

All the best,
dl
:D

its scabbing nicely :) iam not evne sur ei need to rinse it anymore, but iam doing it just in case , i don`t feel or see any infenction :D so i think were good

Back