Large open wound!! Please help! (Updated)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keltera

D:! i just saw it on thor!! it wasent there when i separated them!.. i think he might have done it himself!!! i dont get paid till this weekend!! so i can`t take him to a vet till them! Tell me what to do..! i can`t get a picture of it, i have no batteries. its a whole chunk of skin, about the size of my index fingernail!!

I'm afraid I don't know why Thor was separated, but was there a scuffle within the past week or so? Even small bites can abscess, and the abscess can take a little while to pop, so that may have been what happened. If it was an abscess, Thor may have groomed it open himself which may be why there's a bit of skin hanging off.

If he's not bleeding and doesn't seem bothered by it, it should be okay until you're able to get him into the vet. Do you have any antibiotics on hand, or is he already on any? Starting a course of Baytril is pretty much all that needs to be done. Keeping an eye on it to make sure it's healing well, and doesn't abscess.

ETA : Okay, I see the posts about Thor's intro. All those small cuts you found could have very well abscessed, which is what you're seeing. if you feel him over and feel any lumps or bumps in those same areas, that's most likely what they are. It's still the same treatment, though. Antibiotics and keep an eye on it.

javakittie said:
I'm afraid I don't know why Thor was separated, but was there a scuffle within the past week or so? Even small bites can abscess, and the abscess can take a little while to pop, so that may have been what happened. If it was an abscess, Thor may have groomed it open himself which may be why there's a bit of skin hanging off.

If he's not bleeding and doesn't seem bothered by it, it should be okay until you're able to get him into the vet. Do you have any antibiotics on hand, or is he already on any? Starting a course of Baytril is pretty much all that needs to be done. Keeping an eye on it to make sure it's healing well, and doesn't abscess.
All i have is amoxicilin, i managed to get a few pictures with some batteries i found.

i was doing another intro and i jst had them seperated after it again.. it was doing so well to.

i dont think its bleeding.. but it looks mighty painful

000_0043.jpg

000_0042.jpg

000_0044.jpg

Do you know how much Thor weighs and the concentration of your Amoxi? If you really want to, we can help you figure out the dosage for the Amoxi if you have that info. For this purpose, the Amoxi would be just as good as Baytril. If the Amoxi is for someone else, or you don't have atleast 2 weeks worth of it, he'll be just fine until you're able to get him to the vet after you've gotten paid.

It honestly doesn't look that bad. It's a small cut, it's just the placement that's making it look so big. His shoulder and movement makes it open more, which makes it look alot worse. Even a glancing bite can make a pretty decent sized cut, their little teeth are so sharp. Just in case, though, check his cage and make sure there's nothing he could have gotten caught up on, or any sharp edges that could have done this.

javakittie said:
Do you know how much Thor weighs and the concentration of your Amoxi? If you really want to, we can help you figure out the dosage for the Amoxi if you have that info. For this purpose, the Amoxi would be just as good as Baytril. If the Amoxi is for someone else, or you don't have atleast 2 weeks worth of it, he'll be just fine until you're able to get him to the vet after you've gotten paid.

It honestly doesn't look that bad. It's a small cut, it's just the placement that's making it look so big. His shoulder and movement makes it open more, which makes it look alot worse. Even a glancing bite can make a pretty decent sized cut, their little teeth are so sharp. Just in case, though, check his cage and make sure there's nothing he could have gotten caught up on, or any sharp edges that could have done this.
i don`t know his weight, but the woman i got the cage from gave me the amox, and hes been on it for 2 1/2 weeks at .2 twice a day. i think ive calmed myself down now, that was a bit of a shock. now that i think about it, its about in the right place where i saw the first scratch on him with the second intro. i have LOTS of amox in the powder form.

Is it just the surface skin that is missing, or does it look as if the muscle is affected? Is there a lot of bleeding? What do you see when you look at it?
That is very strange, I am not sure how a rat could do that extent of damage to himself.
I, personally, would not be that concerned if it is the surface skin only. I would keep the area clean with saline and maybe a bit of an antibiotic ointment and allow it to scab over and heal on its own.
I can tell you a story that might make you in a bit less of a panic over it.
I had a boy, Pharoah, who had an operation on his lower abdomen to remove two internal abscesses caused by his neuter. Shortly after the surgery, within a couple of days, he ripped the area completely open and removed all the external stitches. It was about an inch long opening. I totally freaked out and rushed him to the vet within the hour thinking that his insides were going to fall out. When the vet examined him, he suggested that the wound be left open because he thought that there was a concern with an infection to the area and that might have been why Pharoah ripped them open to begin with. The wound did not extend to his internal organs, but to his stomach muscles. I was really reluctant to leave it open, but the vet was a decent one and I followed his instructions. I put diluted peroxide on it twice a day with a syringe and it healed up in no time flat.

p.s. I have just seen your pictures, and I would not be concerned. I have personally had many rat wounds like that (some were larger) and I have not taken them into the vet over them. I would keep the area very clean, be very careful to be on the lookout for signs of infection (especially because of the hair around the wound), but my guess is that it will heal on its own. I have never had any of those types of wounds develop into anything nasty.
If you would like to get him into the vet just to confirm that it will heal ok or maybe have them put a stitch in it, then that is what I suggest.

I have only experienced wounds like that during introductions, and they were done with razor sharp rat teeth.
I continued with the introductions, and they ended up being successful in the end.

Vanessa said:
Is it just the surface skin that is missing, or does it look as if the muscle is affected? Is there a lot of bleeding? What do you see when you look at it?
That is very strange, I am not sure how a rat could do that extent of damage to himself.
I, personally, would not be that concerned if it is the surface skin only. I would keep the area clean with saline and maybe a bit of an antibiotic ointment and allow it to scab over and heal on its own.
yeah, i think its just the surface skin, its a reddy pink when its open and i don`t see any muscle there is absolutly no bleeding , as i mentioned in a post above, i think its in the same spot as where i saw a scratch on him after the second intro

Vanessa said:
I have only experienced wounds like that during introductions, and they were done with razor sharp rat teeth.
I continued with the introductions, and they ended up being successful in the end.
so i should continue with the intro`s then?

So he's still on the Amoxi? Just keep him on that then. You're problem is all solved before you even knew it! :wink2: You can flush it with a homemade saline solution to keep it clean, but I wouldn't worry overly much about an antibiotic ointment. Those tend to make a wound heal from the outside in, and you want it to heal from the inside out so that an abscess doesn't form. Just keep him on the amoxi and keep an eye on the wound. Once it's healed over, you may have to deal with an abscess, but those aren't too bad.

I would go ahead and continue to do the intros. They seem to have been going well so far, and by your last post yesterday, it seemed like it's going just fine. Thor may be a little touchy about that spot, and your other boyo may try to groom it a bit, but that's about all the interest that should be shown. If Freyr shows a whole lot of interest in it, and Thor doesn't like it at all, then maybe hold off on the intros for a couple of days. Rats heal ridiculously fast, and it should be starting to close up within a few days.

Keltera said:
so i should continue with the intro`s then?

You know what, that is a tough call for someone else to make. I didn't experience that type of damage in the first stage, only on the 'non neutral area' and 'all together in the cage' stages. I left it for a few days for the wound to heal and took it right back to stage one with them. I took longer for the first bathtub stage and eventually it worked out. In those cases I was dealing with mostly intact, fully mature male groups.

Oscar was wounded like that as well but the wound was longer and on the underside of his chest, and he was living with the three other rats already when I got them. Oscar was a bit of a bully, and someone retaliated. I didn't move him or anyone else over it and it never happened again. I guess Oscar learned his lesson with the one attack.

Thank you guys! you guys are wonderful.. what would i do without you..? Lose my head and run around like a flailing chicken is what!!!

I keep a close eye on my thor.

How is it i make home make saline?

I agree with Vanessa. I've had plenty with gashes like that, all I did was keep it clean, if I had baytril on hand, I used it but if I didn't I let it be and it never became a problem. They heal so fast.
I would continue with intros as well, that looks like the other guy going for a top grooming and Thor getting worried and moved fast during a power groom which then makes quite a slice.

Home made sterile saline solution
16 ounces water (use distilled if your tap water is hard)
1 teaspoon table salt

I nuke it in the microwave for about 45-60seconds. You want it warm, not Hot. Stir until the salt dissolves. Voila! Instant Saline.

javakittie said:
Home made sterile saline solution
16 ounces water (use distilled if your tap water is hard)
1 teaspoon table salt

I nuke it in the microwave for about 45-60seconds. You want it warm, not Hot. Stir until the salt dissolves. Voila! Instant Saline.
i even have a bottle of distilled water in my fridge :D

jorats said:
I agree with Vanessa. I've had plenty with gashes like that, all I did was keep it clean, if I had baytril on hand, I used it but if I didn't I let it be and it never became a problem. They heal so fast.
I would continue with intros as well, that looks like the other guy going for a top grooming and Thor getting worried and moved fast during a power groom which then makes quite a slice.
yes, ive seen freyr do the top groom, thor is still not to sure about hi and freaks out, it seems freyr is trying to be nicer, but thor is still weary

Doing a top power groom is a dominance move so for now, I would suggest that each time Fryer is about to do this, remove him and say no.

Back