Kona - RIP 5/24/14

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He some more baby cereal last night, but did need a little bath after putting himself through some banana baby food earlier in the day and he had a rather large plug last night - first one so far. He keeps walking around the perimeter of the cages as if he is trying to familiarize himself with things.

:(
I hope your baby feels better soon...

He really doesn't seem to be making any big changes at all. Thursday we can start the pred since it will be 72 hrs since he had the metacam. He is losing weight. He has a follow up appointment tomorrow and I think we will give him another week to show some big improvements and if not we'll let him go join his daddy and brother over the bridge.

He really doesn't seem to be making any big changes at all. Thursday we can start the pred since it will be 72 hrs since he had the metacam. He is losing weight. He has a follow up appointment tomorrow and I think we will give him another week to show some big improvements and if not we'll let him go join his daddy and brother over the bridge.
The prednisolone does wonders, it really does. Make sure you give enough, and I'm keeping my fingers, toes, and paws crossed that he feels better. :(

No matter what happens, he is fighting as hard as he can, and you are giving him the best chance possible-- that is most important.

The prednisolone does wonders, it really does. Make sure you give enough, and I'm keeping my fingers, toes, and paws crossed that he feels better. :(

No matter what happens, he is fighting as hard as he can, and you are giving him the best chance possible-- that is most important.

We are suppose to start him at .05 with direction on how many days and how to ween it done, but I don't think in this case we're suppose to ween it down. We should just keep going at .05 right? or am I mistaken? I don't really have experience with PT and these medications since I was never able to get them for Curley. Tomorrow will be 1 week since the onset of visible symptoms. Should we wait the 72 hours after metacam to start the pred or is 48 hours long enough?

Kona was seen by the vet today and he is seeing more improvement than I am. He has lost about 100 gram, but that isn't a surprising he's not eating much. Vet seems to think he's a lot more active than last week. He looked into his eyes and he has porphyfin clotting so we have to place warm compresses on his eyes along with syringe feedings three times a day to try and put more weight on him. He is circling to the right when out of the cage, but when in the cage he goes around the cage to the left. Tomorrow we start the prednisone since it will be 72 hours since the metacam was last given hopefully that will improve his appetite. He is still pooping and today he peed on daddy :hello: We had the vet give him fluids too so he got 30 ml sq and he will go back Saturday for another 7 day doxy shot.

He ate another 3ml of food this morning and last night he was munching on a piece of watermelon. Pred will be started tonight when I get home from work.

I know the bromo helps but I swear the dex is what does the magic. I only gave gloria dex on the first night and she had improvement with it. she drastically improved with the bromo. i think the pred will take a few days to kick in so hopefully a few more days he will start have better use of his hands.

I know the bromo helps but I swear the dex is what does the magic. I only gave gloria dex on the first night and she had improvement with it. she drastically improved with the bromo. i think the pred will take a few days to kick in so hopefully a few more days he will start have better use of his hands.

Can the dex be given with the pred? I'm confused on that.

Got 1ml of baby food w/bromo, .25 ensure, and pred into him. I will give him another feeding with his baytril before bed. I also mixed together a recipe I found on fb that the person who posted it says works to fatten up sick ratties. 1 box of rice cereal, 1 cup ground oxbow, and 12 scoops of powder soy formula put it in an air tight container to use as needed. So far I put a small bowl of it in the cage that I mixed with ensure. I think for his night time feeding that is what he will get. Gotta get some weight back on that boy. My almost 900 gram boy is down to the low 700's

You can't give pred and dex at the same time. Dex is much better than pred but pred will do if you can't have access to dex.
I hope your boy responds soon. I never had any luck with bromo.

You can't give pred and dex at the same time. Dex is much better than pred but pred will do if you can't have access to dex.
I hope your boy responds soon. I never had any luck with bromo.

So should I ask for Dex too w/the pred? I thought I was suppose to be giving bromo?! I've giving him another week to respond then I'm letting him go.

Poor boy needs a quick shower today he slopped his belly through something last night... no plugs for two days :bounce: and again I was :poop:ed on - that makes about 4 days in a row!! He took about 2 to 2 1/2 ml of cereal mixture along with his pred. Hopefully he will be better when I get home...

So I spoke too soon, poor boy had a huge plug when I checked after work and he needed another "shower" I'm not quite sure what he's dragging himself through - could just be pee I guess. No more poops and it took almost 2 hours to get him to eat about 4 mls of food - I had no choice he had to eat it it had the bromo in it. Next time I won't put it in so much food. I just don't know if its because he's eating more on his own and doesn't want the extra food or he just doesn't want to eat. He seems to be more active with his front paws - not using them, but closing and opening them more. His left paw seems to have more strength in it than the right when I push on it and he is circling to his right (has been for a few days or more). He seems to hate having me rub the top of his head - I think it hurts him.

Back