Kona biggest lump yet!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kona got out of surgery about 30-35 minutes ago is awake and eating newspaper I am told. This is odd, he has never even had newspaper. Our big boy topped out at 900 grams today - his lack of out time over the last couple of weeks do to us being extremely busy caused him to gain about 20 grams :gaah: that or he ate one of the nakies - I haven't seen them yet today :giggle: They removed all 3 lumps and I will be picking him up at 4:15 CST. I also noticed he had a strange bubble looking thing in his eye while they were weighing him and as it turns out both his eyes have scratches. This makes me even more nervous since now not only does he have the dull eyes, he has the damaged eyes - all things Curley had before the PT really reared its ugly head!!!

Poor 'little' man! I'm glad he made it through the surgery OK. Here's hoping for a recovery that does not involve weird sutures sticking out later on!

glad surgery is over and went well.
boy oh boy these guys have put you thru the wringer!
praying it's all smooth sailing now

could the eating newspaper be pica from a med reaction or pica from pain?

Joanne said:
Poor 'little' man! I'm glad he made it through the surgery OK. Here's hoping for a recovery that does not involve weird sutures sticking out later on!

I certainly hope no stitches pop through months later! This is a different place/doctors hopefully they will do everything correctly!

Petunia said:
glad surgery is over and went well.
boy oh boy these guys have put you thru the wringer!
praying it's all smooth sailing now

could the eating newspaper be pica from a med reaction or pica from pain?

I didn't think of that, I certainly hope not ... I was just thinking my little man might of been stressed and all pooped out (he did start stinking up the place as soon as we walked through the doors). How much can one 900g rat poop !!! Oh man does he stink when we go to the vet!!!

One of the questions I had to answer on the consent form was if my pet was anorexic. Does my 900 gram rat look like he's missing any meals???

I cleaned his section of the cage, and he is currently having dinner - red leaf lettuce & butternut squash. He visited with Bumbles for a little while, but will spending the night by himself tonight before rejoining the other two. He has three large incisions, but all stitches are on the inside. He will get more metacam in the morning. He slept peacefully on the ride home so I hope he has a comfy night.

Godmother said:
So glad that he is recovering well. Did the vet have any idea what the lumps were?

I didn't talk to the vet when I picked him up they had an emergency coming in (Chinchilla - didn't make it), but we were assume same as before since this nasty one was in the same spot. Wasn't paying this time to have it sent out. Will talk to them next week on follow up appt.

LAST TIME:
MICROSCOPIC:
Submitted is a subcutaneous mass on the left lateral thorax. The mass is of haired skin. There is, within the dermis extending from the dermal-epidermal junction to the deep dermis, proliferation of haphazardly arranged as well as sized collagen bundles. This blends into the normal collagen laterally as well as into the superficial dermis.

DIAGNOSIS:
Skin: Collagen Nevi (possible fibroma)

COMMENT:
Collagen nevi (AKA nodular dermatofibrosis or cutaneous hamartoma) are characterized by focal excess of dermal collagen and lack a discrete growth. These may be variations of fibromas. They usually are solitary dome - or gumdrop-shaped firm nodules in the skin.

He had his check up today and I believe the bf said he lost 50 grams, but ONE of the lumps was 12-15 grams - Holy Crackers!!!! They didn't seem that big! I don't know how the rest of the appointment went only that our Big Stinker didn't let us down - he is such a scare pooper when he gets in that travel cage! :sick2:

900 grams!!! And I call our 600 gram boy a fattie every single morning when he hauls his huge hiney from his hut! I'm glad to hear Kona is recovering!!!

odoriusagi said:
900 grams!!! And I call our 600 gram boy a fattie every single morning when he hauls his huge hiney from his hut! I'm glad to hear Kona is recovering!!!

I won't mention names, but we have a cute adorable rattie on this site that tops 1000 grams .... Kona is down to 850 grams now. My Peanut looks much bigger than Kona when he pancakes he's the size of a cup saucer :laugh4: I have BIG dumbo rats.... but squishy and lovable!!!!!

Kona now has his biggest lump yet. It is on the top of his back and its HUGE! bigger than a marble, but smaller than a large golf ball. I can fell all around it. I think its the tiny one I mentioned to the doctor on the day he had the others removed, but was told it was too small to go digging for. He also has another small one under his left arm in the arm pit area. He is still recovering from the other surgery and we don't want to keep putting him under to have these removed. I'm afraid this large lump is going to put pressure on his spine though. Does anyone have any suggestions on this or why he keeps getting this and/or why they grow so fast?

Back