It's January! *update* - she's with her sisters - pics

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She was basically already quarantined so I'd say all's well.

She sure looks happy with her new sisters. So sweet!! Love the third pic.

It looks like a little uncertainty with her & Fidget there, doesn't it? :lol: Like "ok, we'll try but I'm not sure I trust you so I'm gonna protect my close eye"...
But really it's just the moment I caught the picture, amazingly there's no discomfort between any of them, except Astoria gets a little annoyed when January gets too frisky and tries to get her to play like Sugar will.

Even Kelley doesn't try to hump her like she does Astoria - yet...
Things could change a bit when January gets older do you think?
Fidget, Sugar & Sumone are about 5 months old (I'm not much practiced with young'uns)

Fidget said:
It looks like a little uncertainty with her & Fidget there, doesn't it? :lol: Like "ok, we'll try but I'm not sure I trust you so I'm gonna protect my close eye"...

The way I read that picture is complete submission on both parts. Rats that are anxious or stressed about another rat will not close their eyes while near them. :thumbup:

Really? Oh cool! Thanks Jo, I didn't know that :D So, like I said, it's really amazing how she's fit in here!

Look at those beautiful big eyes!! :ilike: She is an absolute doll!! :love1: She looks so sweet and dainty in the pic where she's eating supper with her Grandma Astoria. :kisses:

Thankyou all! It's just amazing how they all get on! And what a sweet little joy January is. I think maybe Summer set this all up so there wouldn't be such a hole left from our littlest one's passing.

I honestly can't get over how beautiful she is!! WOW!!! Congrats again on your little darling! I'm really glad that intros went so very well, she's such a sweety!

Thankyou :D

January has 2 different shades of black on her face. I didn't notice for a while (bad eyes & lighting varying in pictures) but it's obvious when you know it's there.
These show it pretty well I think - starting a bit above her nose she has a rise of darker that carries around each side of her face on the lower part of her mask.

Is there a name for that bi-color on her face?
080112JanuarySumone.jpg

080112January12.jpg

080112January05.jpg

And this doesn't show it well, but I can't resist throwing it in her cause it's so cute :lol:
080112January01.jpg

Hey... I've had that bicolour on all of my young ones... It doesn't last more than a couple of weeks, and I always took it to be their baby fuzz being replaced by adult sleeker fur. I'm no expert but that's what i thought hmmm!

So she will lose the variety and her mask will become all one shade then?
Well, that kind of sucks.... I'm going to go have a talk with her and ask her to keep it a little eclectic like that - it's special, like she is!

Thankyou. I'd rather have heard that the snake-food seller let a rare beauty slip thru his scaley fingers so I could imagine him kicking his maximus gluteous -
But he did indeed sell diamonds as paste - this kid is a combination of lust for life and an affectionate momma's girl, and sister who gets everyone else happily excercising - like you couldn't order if you tried.

Yes, she's a pain in the prattt, she needs constant watching cause out-of-bounds means there's something wonderful I'm hiding there. She does still sit on my shoulder calmly tho. :kisses: I am so in love!

Yes, I'm blathering.....But I've been in hell over Summer and then suddenly the sun came in to live for her, and to tell me that it's ok for me to stop agonizing and questioning and live too.

We're gonna have a talk. She's keeping that outward showing of her inward special!
:D

Lol i caould totally see all that aby love you have for her in that last post fidget! hahah

Yes I can pretty much guarantee her face will turn all the darker black. Babies often get a stripe of baby fur down their backs as well where a hoody marking would be, but this too fades as they grow up. :( You can see the fur is lighter and finer, whereas the darker fur is shinier and sleeker with the slight adult greasiness they all get.... I'm sure I've got some pics of ratlets with baby and adult fur that looks two shades, and then again when they've grown out of it.... I'll see if i can dig them out for you :)

But bicolour or nobicolour, January's got enough cuteness to keep us swooning for a long LONG time yet!! :D

My Emma has a two toned face, always has, and she's 2ish! But, her colour difference is very pronounced.

xmastreeandrats001.jpg

I'm always looking into the kid thru their expression (unless of course it's a tongue or belly-shot) I've never noticed this change -or moulting - in mine or anyones before......But I've also mostly had older kids.

When my first rats had their litter ( :oops: ) the few that had markings on their backs pretty much faded to match their Himi folks in time. And of course I've seen double rex not look like the same kid from day to day...

But this I've never encountered or never noticed before. If you can find those pics Starfoot I'd be interested to see them (and it'll help January know what I expect her not to do too) :D I'm sure your babes are heart-grabbing any which way - of course! - but I intend for January to stay this way if she's agreeable to it.

Moon, your lovely Emma will be our motivational pinup!

Back