It's January! *update* - she's with her sisters - pics

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fidget

Meet January!

She was advertised on a buy&sell site as: I have one juvenile female rat that my snake wont eat, I just wat it gone, quite cute and very friendly, would make a wonderful pet, or food either or... just take it please!!!
Well she is cute and friendly! I was told they'd got her at 3 wks old a month ago, seems unbelievable she left her mom so soon but she is about the right size for 7 wks. Apparently they found their snake won't eat rats or mice (Yay, snake!).

I was just gonna foster her but she had other ideas and I was smitten.
She seems quite healthy. So she will join my crew after everyone gets a run of ivermectin, I'd just treated them all a while back but Astoria seems to have a lot of owies again, and I want to keep an eye on January for a while.

So - a new year, a new beginning, a new January!
080102January06.jpg

080102January10.jpg

080102January15.jpg

080102January19.jpg

080102January37.jpg

Yeh, I agree, great name!! She really suits it already... and so pretty... really touching story too.... Oh and snakey?? HIGH FIVE!!!! we fijnally won you over eh?

Thanks from me & January, everybody! :D

chicky82 said:
maybe the snake thought she was so sweet that she'd rot his teeth :lol:
:D What a sweet thought that is!

I should say when I picked her up, it was from the nicest girl, the cage was just as clean as in the photos on the buy/sell site so at least she was well-cared for. The girl said she'd fallen for the rattie but the landlord said No Way. Snakes Yes - Ratties No? Hmmm... (I think the 'landlord' was the bf who skulked out the door as we were talking - and he must have written that ad - no way she did)

Anyway, my heart is still broken by being unable to 'save' my sick little Summer, and I felt that 'saving' this one would help to ease that.
And my Summer was named for mamarat's adoptee girl that was too sick to save too (before I knew mine was sick of course) and was meant to live the good live mamarat's Summer missed out on. So January seemed to honor them both as it also is a time of year, and this girl survived two close-to-deaths (maybe 3 if someone else had come for snakefood before I saw her) with leaving mom so young and being in a snake cage at one point. So she's gonna live a good life for all 3 of them!
and January starts with 'J' like the 2 rattie people who've helped me thru everything for so long. So it's truly a name I'm honored to give this tenacious little survivor!

Sorry - can't help but blather -
This kid is amazing! I don't do shoulder-ratties cause of my allergy. But since she's alone for awhile and can't go in the bedroom I've been wearng my dicky and my January. She hasn't pooped or peed on me yet, she's learning fast that she doesn't come down on her own - she signals she wants down and I lift her to my lap.
She's been on my shoulders while I've done lots of stuff, even while I made the kid's dinner.
When I put her on the couch she goes off venturing & exploring happily, but the minute I come back she runs to me and jumps in my lap!

Good gracious, I just weighed her, she's only 182 grams / 6.4 oz That seem about right for 7 weeks? No wonder she's so attached, this kid never had a chance to get independant before she left her birthmom, eh?
Can this pose any problems for her healthwise in future that I should watch for?

Thank goodness she doesn't do that 'kneading' thing with her claws that cats taken too early do tho...

She's going to be a character that one. :D
lilspaz68 has a baby that was taken away too early from mom, that would be Dilbert and he's in top health, no worries with that boy.

OMG! To hear Dilbert linked with January is like if someone linked my name in the same sentence as Anderson Cooper!
Thankyou Jo, she sems healthy, I was scared of something lurking back there in a too-short mothering. You hear horrible things that befall kids when things aren't done right.
This kid has beat too many attempts on her life already. She's just gotta thrive in both Summer's honor. (And dang she's an especially comely kid!)
Thankyou. I'll just love her without worrying now.

la_marée_haute - I've never seen a dwarf rat, but she seems standard, just very young. If she was a 'special' breed I doubt she'd have been going for snake food, eh?

My Mimzy is 8 weeks and she only weighs 164 grams and Pumpkin is 8 weeks and weighs 227 grams. So I would say that January will be just fine and will probably be a slim sleek girly. :lol:

Mimzy comes from Slim Sleek parents Mom 272 grams and Dad 386 grams.(My Jazmine is her Aunt and she is 270 grams at 16 months old) Pumpkin's parents were fairly large rats Mom was 440 grams and Dad was 582 grams.

So it has to do with genetics. :wink:

I was told to quarantine January (which I've never done before but it was suggested that as she was raised as snake food it was especially important), but I realized that she had already been in a home for a month where she was the only rattie, so she's already been quarantined better than I could do with them all in the same apartment anyway.
But I was still going to wait a week at least as I'm treating my other 5 for mites again (I'd done it recently but Astoria still seems to have some owies so I thought I'd be on the safe side).

However, she came wednesday and thursday night I nodded off on the bed with her (after removing the other girl's quilt from it) and woke to find her not there. I found her in the cage with them, all getting along beautifully and there couldn't have been a peep of trouble or it would have woke me. I don't know if she climbed thru the bars (which she managed to do in her first cage here) or jumped and climbed to the open top.

Anyway, she was too happy as all-get-out with her sisters to take her away so she's home. She & Sugar play together a lot, hopefully she'll get Sugar & Fidget to exercise more, those 2 are too hefty for my liking even tho they're also more solidly built than my other girls.

Master of her domain:
080105JanuaryCage2.jpg

080105January01.jpg

With Fidget:
080105FidgetJanuary1.jpg

With best buddy Sugar:
080105SugarJanuary.jpg

Tripping with Sumone:
080105SumoneJanuary1.jpg

Suppertime With Grandma Astoria:
080104JanuaryAstoria3.jpg

and just because - Kelley, Sumone & Sugar (& Astoria's butt):