Is this a good deal?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some people are just looking to make some easy money. I actually saw someone around here asking $650 for the "like new world class cage" claiming that were giving people a deal because they retail for "well over 800 dollars" :lol:

I sent them several different links saying that I was sorry but they got majorly ripped off, since FNs don't retail for anywhere near $800 and sent them several links, just in case :wink: :giggle:

Bamboo said:
Some people are just looking to make some easy money. I actually saw someone around here asking $650 for the "like new world class cage" claiming that were giving people a deal because they retail for "well over 800 dollars" :lol:

I sent them several different links saying that I was sorry but they got majorly ripped off, since FNs don't retail for anywhere near $800 and sent them several links, just in case :wink: :giggle:

Haha, yeah, I sent a link to the Petsmart Website( where they apparently bought it) Sayign ti retailed 229 bucks. But they never replied to that email.

lol yeah I never get replies back. You're exactly right: these people are just trying to rip off people who don't know any better.

Okay just found another one that may be nice.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/p ... 48096.html

I'm thinking only if it has a door on the top so that I will be able to add the rat resort. But I'm not sure. Still seems a bit small to me ( haha I only have 2 rats and it holds 4 but I want a HUGE cage :cheeky: ) To me even a double cn seems like it could be bigger :laugh4: .. for 2 rats :lol:

That's not an XXL cage but it is big enough for 2-3 rats and it's a decent price. I have the same one and my girls are happy in it. I wouldn't bother putting the RR on top, but that's just me. As for the FN guy, he's definitely trying to make a buck BUT the prices on the Petsmart site are for the US store and are lower than in Canada. FNs in Canada can still cost from $300-400 new, but often cost less and that doesn't justify what he's asking.

victoria said:
That's not an XXL cage but it is big enough for 2-3 rats and it's a decent price. I have the same one and my girls are happy in it. I wouldn't bother putting the RR on top, but that's just me. As for the FN guy, he's definitely trying to make a buck BUT the prices on the Petsmart site are for the US store and are lower than in Canada. FNs in Canada can still cost from $300-400 new, but often cost less and that doesn't justify what he's asking.

So you have girls in the cage? Do you have it netted or do you not have any issues with the bar spacing. My girls are around 8-9 months and If I am going to have to net it, I'll be adding another 30 dollars or so to the price tag :wallbang: .

So hard finding a big cage with good spacing. Its like cage manufacturers think that small animals that need small spacing only need small cages. :gaah:

I have two adult girls in there, one of them weighs 340g though (teeny compared to my other beasts). In all fairness though, she's not the type to try to sneak out. Here's a pic of how I had the cage set up, you can see them both to give you an idea of size:
da4cf2af.jpg

I used those lava ledge things to hold up a wooden shelf wrapped in fleece and had different sized hammocks on the other side to create different levels. Instead of a ladder I used a chinchilla ledge and they used it to hop up to the second story.

victoria said:
I have two adult girls in there, one of them weighs 340g though (teeny compared to my other beasts). In all fairness though, she's not the type to try to sneak out. Here's a pic of how I had the cage set up, you can see them both to give you an idea of size:
da4cf2af.jpg

I used those lava ledge things to hold up a wooden shelf wrapped in fleece and had different sized hammocks on the other side to create different levels. Instead of a ladder I used a chinchilla ledge and they used it to hop up to the second story.

Oh, thanks for the picture. yeah the vet weighed my girls 2 weeks ago and they are both under 300. Te cage still seems a bit too small for my tastes. : P

I am starting to think I should just get a cn :wallbang: If only the fn guy had accepted my offer. :gaah: Maybe if I wait a while he will realize no ones gonna pay that much and lower his price. haha wishful thinking. :stickpoke:

I agree, a CN is best, but for $45, that's not a bad cage. I moved the girls into that cage when I was doing intros with them and my CN crew, but I had to stop intros for a variety of reasons and they stayed in there because I ended up with babies that moved into their old cage. Keep in mind if your rats weigh less than 300g, you will likely need to mesh an FN as well.It may not be as nice and spacious as my CN but the girls are happy in there and get their out time every day so they are not lacking in the space or enrichment categories.

victoria said:
I agree, a CN is best, but for $45, that's not a bad cage. I moved the girls into that cage when I was doing intros with them and my CN crew, but I had to stop intros for a variety of reasons and they stayed in there because I ended up with babies that moved into their old cage. Keep in mind if your rats weigh less than 300g, you will likely need to mesh an FN as well.It may not be as nice and spacious as my CN but the girls are happy in there and get their out time every day so they are not lacking in the space or enrichment categories.

Haha, I know I would have to mesh up an FN but 30 dollars worth of hardware cloth seems a lot more worth it on a fn then on a smaller cage that I will probably want to replace eventually anyways. Plus i would love to get more rats in the future, so I think getting a big cage would probably be worth it in the long run. I think I will start my search for the cheapest place to get a CN, since flowertown would cost an arm and a leg to ship from since I'm in BC.

I would email them for a quote... it would probably be cheaper than from the US when you factor in taxes and duties. (You would only have to pay GST since it comes from Ontario.)

victoria said:
I would email them for a quote... it would probably be cheaper than from the US when you factor in taxes and duties. (You would only have to pay GST since it comes from Ontario.)

Ya , I will definitely look into it.

I know some people have found CNs for decent prices in BC, both at their Petsmart stores and at.. some store only you guys have... Tisol?

Moon said:
I know some people have found CNs for decent prices in BC, both at their Petsmart stores and at.. some store only you guys have... Tisol?

I checked around My local tisol but didn't see anything, I think I would have to check on their site . Anyways., I actually decided to go with the rabbit cage that Victoria has. The women is dropping it off tomorrow : ) :joy: . Then I'm gonna test out whether my girls can fit through the bars, before i get some hardware cloth.

Back