Intros

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh! yes, I should have clarified! her charging got to the obsessive point and also had some attempts at biting through the bars. I think this was more fear based than aggression based due to Mini's personality. she's very, very skittish and the faintest new smell in the room makes her feel threatened. it's not unknown for her to refuse to come out for a few days if someone comes in smelling like cat. the other girls did the normal cage rushing. Hazel being the goofiest about it...because that's Hazel :D

would maybe putting up a coroplast (chloroplast. awesome typo lol) barrier around the cages during play time be a good idea? so she can't have access to the cage, but can still smell him? Hazel knows how to get up on the dresser I had his cage on and Mini learned how to get there too after working with Hazel. :p I just want an initial time period where she's not able to get to the bars (thanks Hazel lol), but smell him in the room.

Closing off the cage so she can't seem him is an excellent idea. I do that when my rats don't know the other cage/colony and if they get upset with each other.

ACK! How did I miss this post?

The scent marking is a bit of a concern. How did that turn out?

handmeafish said:
So i know its early, but I had some friends over today, and we were playing with the babies, and Ron seemed so excited to get out and see them, so I figured I'd hold him, and my friends could hold the babies and we could see how it went...
Well they all did great!!! I have never seen Ron more excited and happy. He was very good with the little guys, and clearly sending them "good vibes" because the babies were chasing him around, and they were all playing. After about 10 minutes they snuggled up together in a sweatshirt. :D
I put the babies back in their cage, and Ron back in his, and everyone had a good long nap. I'm gonna continue to take it slow, so Ron doesn't get overwhelmed, but I think these guys are just when Ron needs, and they are gonna be the best of friends.
Jo- In your post before you said " you see him get completely over top the baby" to remove him. There were a few times where ron would walk completely over a baby, and scent mark them. He never stopped and stood over them, he would always continue moving.... they seemed fine with this, and it didn't seem threating... and a few times the babies were ducking their head and running under him like it was a game. Also he was pushing the babies back legs up and smelling their bums... No one protested to this, and he was only smelling, so I let it happen figuring it was an alpha thing, or a rat greeting thing... am I right, or way off here.

First, Ron and the babies are doing great. They've been in the same cage now for 2 days, and there haven't been any serious fights. There have been a few scuffles, which have resulted in the babies being flipped onto their bellies and groomed. No one has been hurt, and the babies give up really quick. I think they are trying to push their boundries, and see what Ron will put up with :)

So I ended up bringing Old Man Rat home. there are pictures of him here viewtopic.php?f=58&t=21089 and a link to my original post about him.

I am wanting to intro Dumbledore to my other rats, after giving him a few days to get used to being in my house (unless you think its best to get it all out of the way, and not prolong the stress) but i'm wondering if I should just intro one of the boys at a time, or get all 4 in the bathtub with some cereal to get it out of the way.

I always do all rats intros. I've never liked one rat at a time intros but it certainly works for some here. I would probably give him a few days to get used to his new home, get to know you and then start intros.
Sounds like it's worked out fantastic with Ron and the babies. Ron is really teaching them how to be good rats.

I also have the Debbie Ducommun book, and even though I read the tub method, which i am sure is great for questionable rats; I tried something different. Since I know Alice and Claire are both young and beyond sweet, I cleaned their cage completely then added Ruby. There was initial sniffing, and then they both jumped on her and began rigorous grooming and cleaning. To which Ruby laid back with her eyes closed as if thoroughly enjoying it. I know this is probably not best for most rats, but if you really know your rats personalities it might be worth a try. I also should have quarantined - something I have now learned.

With young rats, that is definitely an option but not for older rats. A cage is usually a territorial issue and doing that could cause serious consequences.

ok, because I am queen of questions at the moment hehe.

I've re-started intros with the main girl group.

I was thinking ahead...when/if I get to the point of switching cages Mason and Daisy are in a crappy R-690 (well, I'm not a fan of the cage anymore hehe). not enough space for the 4 girls.

would it possibly be helpful to split the RUUD in 2? so that Daisy/Mason are in the R-680 and the girls are in the R-695. what I mean is, when I reconnect the cages, do you think it'd have any impact on the final intro?

hopefully that made sense :p

yay! that's what I was hoping for :D

I think I am going to break apart the cages then. this is the group where the biting happened before, so anything to make it easier would be wonderful.

I have news. Just received the father of my two dumbo girls
<------- seen here (the girls - will get pics of the big daddy shortly)

The girl claims he can only be kept alone because he hates other rats. She claims she's tried intros. Should I even attempt it?

No no of course, i didn't mean to the girls. I meant to another boy. I'm not in a position for a neuter right away, but I should be able to do it in the future. Should I not even attempt it until then? This is not a breeder - This is an offshoot of a rescue (Indigo Rats) a friend I guess. They were all surrendered to her. But she listed the father recently and I took him since the ferret nation he was in she was letting go for 45 bucks. But he is a sweetheart and would make a great pet, so I'm happy I have him. I just feel bad if he's alone. I don't mind if he hangs out on my shoulder when i'm home though.

I may be able to ask Huron Valley Rat Rescue if they can help me out with a neuter.

Oh ok...phew. That would be your best bet is a neuter when you are able too and get him reunited with his girls.
At this point, it might be a lot of work for intros and not something I'd recommend to get into if you aren't that experienced with it.

CrocHunter said:
Ok thanks a lot for your expertise. I would never risk breeding these guys. Don't worry.
I didn't think you would intentionally breed. But I have heard people think that rats wouldn't breed with their own family which is entirely not true.
Once rats mature, they don't even know which is family and which is buddy.

Doing intros with lady and curly right now. How do you all do this on a regular basis? i nearly had a heart attack every time they did anything lol. But then I had a bad experience with these two before! they are asleep on top of each other right now :) it's going very well! I think I didn't follow the rules close enough last time. Says on the forum to find a neutral space for them, I found a FAIRLY neutral space. Now we're in our term-time house so it is completely neutral to the both of them. No fighting at all. Though they were placing their heads under each other and grooming each other at first, is this ok? I heard it wasn't a very good sign, but they look fine now so...

Back