Intro video and text tutorial

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lilspaz68 said:
Oh wow! Never expected that....can't wait to see it tonight :nod:
Ferd is being a typical breeder. He has a sense of entitlement. lol
Teddy is actually awesome! But the other rats must either submit to him or put him in his place. Ferd does neither. He just takes and goes. Ferd pees on everyrat and doesn't respect the others and this is why Teddy has issues with him. I consider this a small hiccup. But one we must overcome if this colony will live together.
I wish I had more time in the day so I can properly edit the videos.

Watching the vids now, hopefully will give me some more insight. I watched the first one already and your comment about the 'hard petting' made me giggle a little cuz Trouble jumps up on my chest when I'm laying down to get a good 'rub down' for probably a minute or more sometimes before hopping off to run around again.
Thanks so much for uploading these!

I'm watching the photobucket one...very informative!
And I love your narration from the pov of the rats "I guess I'm not the boss..."

:bow: :bow: :bow:

I can't begin to thank you for doing these vidoes

I was shocked to learn that most of my girls are BULLIES! most of them bulldoze each other a lot.

I am going to be studying these closely.

I was surprised that you can stop a rat ball the way you did and have the rats all calm down and not have to stop the session.

very good videos, fantastic idea!

I am learning so much! so excited about these.

Teddy and Ferd looks exactly like Pip and Al... Al is the mounter, Pip is the one who takes everything personally, every touch makes him jump and scream and whip around instantly at you.

I'm glad you posted these, haha, I think I've been dominating wrong, it's good to see it. The heavy petting will definitely help Ed, I think, who is a giant chicken.

I am really happy for these videos as I will be referring to them when I start intros with the kiddos I am getting from Shelagh.

eagle said:
I am really happy for these videos as I will be referring to them when I start intros with the kiddos I am getting from Shelagh.

These intros are so friggin easy. I'll later document Nic's. I wish there were more hours in the day. I wonder if my boss would accept my excuse: can't come to work for the next few days. I've got rat intros to document. lol
I have to say...so much fun this time around. Each time I feel more confident.

We had a breakthrough today. Ferd allowed George to mount and frisk him. After that...all was well in the land of rats. I wish I caught that part on video but we didn't. :( I've got a lot of video to go through and once I edit it, I'll post it.
But for now... pics!

The man of the hour...or of the intros. It will all depend on him how intros will go.
Ferdinand_edited-1.jpg

Doc...who never got poofy once today. In fact, I saw him and Teddy have some fun. I think those two will be buddies.
Doc_edited-1-1.jpg

The ever so beautiful George. He's beta and I think he is deeply in love with Ferdinand.
George_edited-1.jpg

Pony and George
PonyandGeorge.jpg

Teddy, the alpha taking a nap.
Teddynapsm.jpg

Gera, who is just along for the ride. Couldn't care less about all that was happening. Didn't get involved and even when some of them tried to get him in it, he just didn't respond at all. Such a good boy.
Gerasm.jpg

Ferdinand and Bianca...this is why it's going to turn out great. Bianca is showing Ferd how to be with rats, how to treat them and love them.
FerdandBiancasm.jpg

And Chief... showing how HED rats keep themselves clean.
Chief-1.jpg

jorats said:
Ferdinand and Bianca...this is why it's going to turn out great. Bianca is showing Ferd how to be with rats, how to treat them and love them.
FerdandBiancasm.jpg

that is just the sweetest thing I think I have ever seen! I nominate this for RPOM, any seconds?

we should all take up a collection so you can take a few days off from work to do these, they are so incredibly helpful! :nod:

I would love to see what intro's look like with nutball girls, I know none of my rats are as slow as these boys are....they are constantly in motion, so I'm sure I miss a lot of the signals they are giving to each other.

wanna borrow 6 manic girlies?? :cheeky: :laugh4:

These are great. I've always wanted to try to re-intro Whiskers to the boys, since it failed the first time and I had to separate them. Do you usually break up the rat-balls with your bare hands? I get the feeling I'd get bitten pretty bad, will it make a difference if I put on an oven mitt or something just long enough to grab one of them? How do you know which one to dominate?

Petunia said:
I would love to see what intro's look like with nutball girls, I know none of my rats are as slow as these boys are....they are constantly in motion, so I'm sure I miss a lot of the signals they are giving to each other.

wanna borrow 6 manic girlies?? :cheeky: :laugh4:

I asked Nic about this... Nic is a girl rat kinda girl so she's had many girl on girl intros. She told me that the hand over head/body works too but you have to do it a lot. As if it takes quite a few of them before the girl gets the picture.

TorachiKatashi said:
These are great. I've always wanted to try to re-intro Whiskers to the boys, since it failed the first time and I had to separate them. Do you usually break up the rat-balls with your bare hands? I get the feeling I'd get bitten pretty bad, will it make a difference if I put on an oven mitt or something just long enough to grab one of them? How do you know which one to dominate?

I break them up with my bare hands but I don't recommend it. You can be bit quite badly. I recommend throwing a towel on them. but using an oven mitt might do it very well too.

This is great. I understand what happens in my rat altercations so much better. I can tell that Peter is definitely the instigator, and I've done the dominating thing twice, to great success. When I saw the video, I was unsure if I could do it without hurting him (because I was sure he would resist more than he did), but obviously, it's not too hard to tell, just like holding them or anything else.
But yeah, it's pretty amazing how well it works for stopping the rat fights.
It reminds me of cesar milan/dog whisperer, hehe.

jorats said:
Intro day 3. This footage was taken in the middle of the intro, so about 30 minutes in. It was pretty much uneventful except for a breakthrough with Ferd and George. This was still on neutral ground. All in all, another successful intro day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLUvJpzzvtQ

Why are your intros better than mine, quicker, and even with more rats? LOL :emb: This isn't fair! :laugh4:

Back