intro in the bathtub with running water: AMAZING

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does Milky chatter loudly or bruxes?

When you press on their heads it's almost like saying, you don't need to worry about anything. I'm here to take care of it. So in a way you are trying to relate a calming energy.

I'm not sure what would be the difference? it's definitely not the gentle bruxing he does when he's happy, it's a much more on-edge sound. I'll try to find it in the video and upload it tomorrow!

ah, I thought head-pushing was a shaming effect hahaha. but cool! I'll try that out then.

I don't think it works for all situations because someone (maybe Jo?) mentioned that generally a rat will claim a person as "theirs" and fight over him/her, but I, too, found that sometimes my intros benefited from a wander around with everyone on my shoulders - so they were more focused on where I was going, what I was doing, than on each other. I also started giving them sloppy munchies like oatmeal and stuff that they had to eat while sitting together in one spot. The only issue with that would be how chubby these guys might get by the end of it all!

These videos are very interesting to watch as I really had no issues when putting all my ratties together. Rattie body language that I haven't learned yet. Cool! I hope things keep progressing - don't give up! They'll have to get along at some point!

Joanne said:
They'll have to get along at some point!
that's what I keep telling myself! :thumbup:

trillium said:
I don't think it works for all situations because someone (maybe Jo?) mentioned that generally a rat will claim a person as "theirs" and fight over him/her, but I, too, found that sometimes my intros benefited from a wander around with everyone on my shoulders - so they were more focused on where I was going, what I was doing, than on each other.
oh thank you for that suggestion! I just did that, and it went smoothly! I walked up and down the apartment complex, but quickly returned home since milky started squeaking and I couldn't see what was going on. but he was just being a big wuss as usual, no tussles or anything. :lol: I'll try going for longer strolls daily! today it was only for a minute or two, but I'm excited!

I've tried giving them baby food smattered on a plate, but they won't eat together... hmm, I'll try again though!

Hmm, I may have to try these methods out with my boys. I only have two right now...so I am hoping that may be easier.

Also, question, if all goes well with Sheldon and Leonard, would it be easier to introduce two neutered boys to the mix? I want more rats...so.

ok so... I have a hypothesis.
is it possible that noodle and strider think that milky... is a 'she'?!?!? O__O I've noticed them trying to, well, kinda hump milky, and milky would stave them off with one hind leg (hilarious hahahah). maybe since they've never properly SEEN a girl, they think no-balls = girl? plus milky's fur is extra soft, and he's kinda small-ish... hmm. also, I've noticed noodle and strider fighting even when milky's not nearby--it seems they're contesting for the right to 'mate' with milky? just guessing here. but while they aren't rolling into vicious balls, they're staring each other down. oh dear.

BUT. progress. no fights I would call nasty today! I think milky's figured out he's much too weak to even think of battles, and instead takes to lying on his back or jumping around. no hideous squeaking, just some minor complaints! very happy with today. :joy:

As Rachael said, mounting is purely dominance in this case.

The fighting between Strider and Noodle when Milky is not around could be them working out their own social hierarchy, or simply just playing.

I recently tried to introduce bunnies - I have three bunnies, Cinnabun, Noir, and Icing Sugar. Cinnabun and Noir are closely bonded, and Icing Sugar has never been bonded to either of them. I started with Cinnabun and Icing Sugar, and when that "session" was over, and Cinnabun went back with Noir, he sniffed around, must have smelled "new bunny" smell, and proceeded to hump Cinnabun out of dominance - even though he hadn't done that since they were first introduced.

When introducing a new member to a group, the whole social hierarchy can change, and those at the "top" might feel they need to re-assert their dominance over others in the group, even if they've been living together a long time.

I'm sure they know he's a boy, they probably just know something is different about him (maybe they can sense testosterone levels) and being more dominant. The fighting between the other two could be that Milky upset the balance and they are fighting for alpha again...also just guessing.

these days have been so successful I've stopped taking vids since there aren't huge fights to dissect! milky will still stave them off with a hind leg, and sometimes 'snaps backwards' as if to bite them (when they try to hump him lol), but so far it's all been bluff-bites. I did an intro in the rat room today instead of the bathroom, and it went fairly politely. this weekend I'm going to go pick up some new fabric for the CN, because... I have good feelings about them becoming cagemates! :dance: :dance: I think I'll give it ONE more week just to be extra sure they don't kill each other in the cage, but yeah, things are looking upppp!

Picture25.png

here's them all having a conference atop the CN! :wink: negotiations are tight, but it seems manageable... they just might come to a conclusion soon! I took videos tonight since there's bright light and all, but I'll give some summarizing screencaps instead of making you guys sit through a couple minutes of rat video spam hahaha.

(click for LOTS of images)
[spoiler:38c3di5e]
Picture2.png

strider has closed his eyes from fear of milky's teeth!!! ---that, or milky's whisker is poking him hahaha

Picture12.png

Picture14.png

"towel over eyes.. getting... heavy..."

Picture15.png

"can't... keep... eyes... or mouth... open..."

Picture42.png

"I sense a disturbance in the force"
Picture41.png

"NO I SEE ANOTHER RAT!"
Picture40.png

"HISS NOOOO!!!"
Picture24.png

"DON'T COME CLOSE! I WILL BITE!!!"
Picture10.png

"my jaw gets tired, you know..."

Picture38.png

Picture27.png
Picture46.png

Picture3.png

"what's he looking at..."

Picture16.png

"omg two rats!"
Picture17.png

"hiss at you!"
Picture18.png

"hiss at you too!"
Picture20-1.png

"waa I'm so cute while I hiss"

Picture50.png

strider: *blink*

Picture52.png

noodle: *blink*

Picture53.png

Picture48.png

noodle VS milky!

Picture54.png

milky kicks noodle back

Picture55.png

milky VS strider!

Picture56.png

milky jumps in a threatening but futile way (no one else does this, he's the only jumper-fighter)

Picture57.png

face down

Picture64.png

back in the bathroom days...

Picture58.png

Picture63.png

milky watches noodle and strider fighting.... needs some popcorn!

Picture61.png

milky gets in on the action!
Picture59.png

milky uses his special move: the kick!
Picture62.png

and then he kicks noodle as well, for good measure[/spoiler:38c3di5e]

from what I've been told, he's about a year (maybe 13 months now?). he certainly acts much older/slower/fragiler! hahaha

Back