Inflamed incision area 5 days post-neuter (posted for SQ)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know ... I requested glue istead of external neuter stitches today.
My vet says that he usually uses glue and one stitch externally for rat neuters, and few stitches internally.

Are cyanoacrylate and PDS 4-0 used internally or just externally?

Is PDS 4-0 a type of glue too?

Cyanoacrylate is a powerful, fast-acting adhesive. In other words, it is a form of glue. (external only)

Don't know but with the scar tissue removed, the swollen look he has had since being neutered is now gone.
Never had a problem with scar tissue or swelling until these 4 boys were neutered.

btw Casper and Rhubarb, Gus and Buddy had swelling since their neuters but no abscesses until a few weeks after their neuters. Otherwise I would have cancelled the neuters for Luke and Johnny. Gus and Buddy seem to be fine now.

I havent found much on the internet, but rat guide came up with this on a search:
http://ratguide.com/health/figures/testicular_tumor_figure_1.php
Rumpus had a slow recovery, the surgery being very stressful for him.
Within a few days of recovery we noticed a lump appear in the wound area.
It appeared to be just some scar tissue with inflammation - a keloid”.

Continued Metacam for a few days and remained on Baytril as the lump reduced over the next 3 weeks. During this time Rumpus recovered well and was active and his normal self, although he had lost considerable weight and was starting to show minor hind leg weakness. One week after stopping Baytril an abscess formed in the area and was drained by our vet. He was again placed back on Baytril.

and the glossary:
Keloid
ke ’ loid
This is a mass of scar tissue that can occur at the site of a cut.
They can be of various shapes and sizes. They are often seen raised above the surface of the skin and may extend beyond the original site of injury. They are a result of the overproduction of fibrous connective tissue in the inner layer of skin (called the dermis). They can occur after the skin has been injured by a laceration or by surgery. They can also appear spontaneously. While keloids can be surgically removed, it is not uncommon for them to reappear at a later time.

I know that keloids normally occur on the surface of the skin, and can look like blisters, become very infected, and are a continuous build up of scar tissue from the body trying to heal the wound too much.

I wonder if they can also occur under the skin? may explain the amount of scar tissue that your vet had to remove, aswell as the abscess'...
just throwing things into the air here...

I keloid seriously badly with piercings and i imagine i would with stitches too. I have a very painful lump on the back of my ear that my doctor wont remove because the keloids i will get from the surgery will cause more problems than the lump does at the minute :(

PDS is a monofilament suture(absorbable) and 4-0 refers to size. 0 would be quite large used for very large dog spays or large animal stuff and the higher the number in front of the 0 the smaller the suture. and this is used to ligate(tie) the spermatid cords and vessels and also to suture up the incision. i have also used it to close skin itself with no problem.
vicryl should never be used because it causes too many problems. glue is ok if you can get the smallest amount needed to close the wound but if too much all the animal will do it chew it out.

It can penetrate through to get to the infection. Most meds can't penetrate the abscess walls which is why it's so hard to treat walled off abscesses, especially those in lungs.

Ah, okay, gotcha - for some reason I had a mental image of the Chloropalm causing the abscess to burst into the body cavity... ::shudders::

Here's hoping it manages to get exactly where it needs to go, and that it clears things up for the boys!

ChlorPalm is what just healed my older Fidget's bulging face & eye. An unexpected miracle actually with all her other problems and her being the last of her not-very-hardy group of 4 .. I expect your boys are all going to do as well! :thumbup: Special love to Casper.

Had a recheck today ...
John's site where the lump was removed has healed nicely.
John will be having surgery on both testicles re the neuter abcesses next week. The abcesses have not gotten worse but both testicles remain badly swollen.
Rhubarb's testicles have healed and are looking good. He will be on meds at least 2 more weeks to make sure the infection is gone.
Luke and Casper both look good and will also stay on the meds for at least 2 more weeks.

Back