Inflamed incision area 5 days post-neuter (posted for SQ)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godmother

SQ had three boys neutered a week ago today, just before she began her move back here. (She isn't hooked up to the Internet yet, so I am posting on her behalf). I think it was the Halifax vet who was trying the method that Jorats' vet uses.

Early Sunday morning she noticed that the area where their testicles had been was very swollen. They squeaked when she touched them at the site of the swelling . She gave them metacam for pain/swelling and tried to get them into the vet this morning.

Unfortunately our regular vet is away, and she was not able to get an apt today. She said that someone suggested putting cool packs to help with swelling.

They are on antibiotics (can't recall what; probably Zithromax and Baytril).

Anybody have any other suggestions until they can be seen by a vet?

If it's all three...it would be more due to non-sterile surgical techniques, than reaction to sutures. Although the sutures are "foreign bodies" and will help add to the infection. :sad3: Those boys need to be seen asap.....so I hope she can get them in quickly. Post surgical infection is the worst!

I am rat sitting for a friend, who's girl had a tumor removed right before we got her. Their vet didn't shave enough of the surgical area and obviously didn't practice the right sterilization techniques. We have her on Baytril and Cefa and she still abscessed. :gaah: Dove is an elderly girl too...but is going in for surgery with our vet today, to clean up the mess the other vet left behind (sorry, not trying to pirate the thread, but have seen a lot of shoddy vet work lately and my vet has had to clean it all up).

She can give them a bit higher doses of metacam (rats can tolerate higher doses just fine. Many vets do not give enough). But 0.3mg/kg should be enough (1.5mg/ml strength).

Fingers crossed for the boys!

Thanks for suggestions. I am sure that she will get the boys in today. It concerns all three who were done last Monday, along with another who was done five weeks ago and suddenly has a lump at the surgical site.

I know that many people have had surgery done successfully with that Halifax vet, but he seems to have a high complication rate with males.

I've had two boys develop reactions to the internal stitches they use to tie off the blood supply and such to the testicles. But, both of my boys were in no pain from it, you could just feel a solid ball inside that went up then went back down and eventually disappeared. I doubt that is what is happening here, so I am glad the boys are going back to the vet. Poor raties!

Pink

All pics taken Sat night.

Gus was neutered June 29
July19Gus.jpg

... looks ok except for a lump above his penis ... which I just felt and it expoded ... green pus the consistancy of tooth paste :( Poor Gus feels bad now but will soon be feeling much better ... he's off to a good start as he is happily munching a piece of banana.

Casper neutered June 29
July19Casper.jpg

one testicle looks like it is going to explode. Noticed the problem Sat. night. He has been feeling better since the metacam was started but cold packs (as advised by vet) and antibiotics don't seem to be helping.

Luke, neutered Monday July 13.
July19Luke2.jpg

July19Luke.jpg

Swelling in testicles has not yet decreased ...

John neutered Monday July 13.
July19Johnny.jpg

Swelling in testicles has not yet decreased ...

The 3 boys' testicles are rock hard and look like they are going to burst :sad3:
Vet apt tomorrow afternoon.

Rhubarb and Buddy were neutered June 29 and seem to be doing ok
Paul was not neutered as he is being treated for respir.

Woah! They look exactly the same as when you posted the night (or night after, i forget) you had them neutered and were concerned about the swelling. Have you ever had any of you rats neutered or through surgery with the vet that did these neuters before?

Poor guys! O.O

Vet from Halifax who neutered the boys returned my phone call.
He said that when this happens he lances the testicles and then they heal just fine.
Was good of him to call me back long distance.

I used hot water sitz baths to bring those mutha's to a "head". The antibiotics are working to bring the infection to the surface. It looks like Marley's abscess, his one testicle became HUGE and hard.

thanks lilspaz68.
I'll try that.
Normally I use warm compresses or baths to bring infection to a head ... but the other vet said cold and I assumed knew what he was talking about. :doh:

SQ said:
thanks lilspaz68.
I'll try that.
Normally I use warm compresses or baths to bring infection to a head ... but the other vet said cold and I assumed knew what he was talking about. :doh:

cold packs are good for swelling but warm packs are good for infection (to bring to head)

Back from my vet.
He thinks that with the antibiotics and medicam, Johnny and Luke will be ok.

He is worried about Casper tho. Casper's testicles are red and inflamed, look very painful and although one is a bit smaller then it was yesterday, the other is now enlarging. Casper may need surgery ... vet is going to phone the vet in Halifax to get info. on what he did.

So I'm suposed to keep the boys on the meds and a very close eye on Casper.

The boys had a happy moment tho .... everyting is packed so I stoped on the way home for take out - a hot turkey sandwich. Don't usually eat much meat but thought the ratties deserved it. So split the meal with 34 rats ... we all enjoyed it ... it even perked dear little Charlotte up.

One of Casper's testicles "popped" today. It took awhile but I managed to get all the yellowish green pus out, poor little guy ... :(
Now comes the fun part, trying to keep it open and flushed out so it can heal properly.

Hope Casper's other testicle pops soon ...

Luke and John's testicles are about the same. Not as bad as Caspers so hoping they will gradually deflate.

Gus is very unhappy about getting his abcess cleaned out. It has scabbed over again :doh: so he isn't going to like this ...

Oh good heavens. I am so sorry to hear about poor Casper. I hope he is soon on the mend - he and the other boys too. :sad3: :sad3:

Back