I need help

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How old is your rat now? Can you post a pic?

It sounds like he needs a vet but I know that its Sunday. :( Is his breathing loud or raspy/crackling/gurgling? Does he have any red discharge around his eyes/nose?

Please stay on... Ok i am uploading the pics to my computer as we speak. I dont no where there is a vet near us.. No he doesnt have anything as u told me

there's an option to add a file below the message window, or you can upload your pics to a photo hosting website like Photobucket and link here...OR until then you can email me your pics and I will post them for you this time...

[email protected]

He is very very young...I would say about 4 weeks now, so he was 3 weeks a week ago :( Waaaay too young to be away from mom. :( Where did you get him from? Do you have any other babies his age and how are they doing? You said you removed him from the other rats. If this was to prevent infection, there's no point, they have all been exposed to whatever is wrong with him. I would advise putting him back in as they are social colony animals and will stress out on their own (and get sickers).

babysickrat2dec6.jpg

babysickrat3dec6.jpg

You also will want to get him off that pine especially if its a URI (upper respiratory infection) like I suspect. Pine is actually damaging to little animals lungs and organs.

babysickratdec6.jpg

So here are my questions;

1) Where did you get him, and how long ago?
2) Is he lethargic, fur puffed up, eyes half closed, breathing hard or making noises when breathing?
3) Is he still eating and drinking?
4) Did his behavior change right after the fall? Most babies bounce like rubber when they fall, because they try insane things that make their humans run to catch them!

If he is thinner, that means he was taken from mom too early, and he needs your help.

You need to pick up baby cereal, strawberry Ensure and mix them together (or if you can get your hands on soy milk formula for human babies, even better)...he probably can't eat the adult food properly yet.

Okay I'm a little confused... you have some girl rats and a boy rat living together? Do you plan on separating them?

Don't take the boy away from his friends yet, as he needs the company. You can put the ensure/baby cereal mix in for everyone to eat, it will give them all strength since they were taken away from mom way too young :( Have you thought about adopting next time instead of supporting pet store rat mills?

The rat in that picture is very very young... if he is lethargic and dying, it's most likely due to him not getting proper nutrition from mom.
Just so you know, rats can reproduce at 5 weeks old. Having males and females together is not a good idea.

This is what happens when people go to pet stores and buy rats that are far too young.
Rats NEED their mom and siblings to become healthy and social and well balanced. Supporting rat mills from pet stores only lead to heartache and suffering for the rats.
Saving these rats only forces the pet stores and mills to produce more and more.
Bring them home and put the males and females together so that they can reproduce yet again thus making yourself a rat mill. nice.

I'm so sorry to the BC rat rescue community. You will have more rats to rescue, more sick rats, more broken hearts.

As Lilspaz68 said baby cereal and mix it up with soy infant formula. These can be bought at a grocery store or a drug store.
Put it in a shallow saucer and give it to all 3 babies.
Put the boy back in with his sisters until he is 5 weeks old.
If he doesn't eat out of the dish, try to see if he will lick it off your fingers.

Get rid of the pine now, you can use a fleece blanket etc instead.
Softwoods (especially cedar and pine) will slowly kill your pets by destroying their lungs.
Many people use unscented yesterdays news in litter boxes.
Hardwoods such as aspen or maple, and paper products such as carefresh are ok to use.
Don't use bedding material that is dusty as it will cause health problems.
Freeze bedding material for 72 hours before thawing out/warming up and using. This will kill and parasites in it (such as mites, lice, etc)
You will need to get a huge cage asap. (Check the habitat section and ask questions to make sure you get one that is ok, otherwise you will just be wasting your money.)
Tanks are very bad for rats. They do not have enough ventilation and cause lung problems.

You will need to find a good vet that knows a lot about rats and it is likely that the boy will need to see a vet tomorrow.

I think he's suffering from the damage of repeatedly falling to the floor. I don't think it's a URI - more likely internal injuries, bruising or broken bones. A rat that young can die suddenly just from a single fall like that.

Keep him warm and give the the foods the others have already mentioned.

And from now on, watch the babies carefully and don't put them in the position of being able to fall. And if they do fall, for heaven's sake don't let it happen over and over! :gaah:

Back