I don't know what to do :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lilspaz68, He gave me baytril i can't spell it properlly LOL sorry :oops:
Its for their water because he said his breathing wasnt as bad as it sounds hes put both of them on it for 5days then if hes still the same within a week ive to take him back for xrays.
Thanks for all your support guys! :hugs:

I'm still amazed at how many vets still recommend putting the meds in the water bottle. I would ask your vet for a dosing for each rat. Tell him you are able to diligently give it to them. He may have done this because it's easier on you but it means your rats are not getting the right dose. In fact, the rats might completely stop drinking their water which will make them even more sick and dehydrated.

Baytril and water is definitely not the way to go :( Each rat needs a very specific dose based on the concentration and the rat's weight. You can easily underdose or overdose on an antibiotic which is why they do not put it in the water, plus as Jo says the rat may not drink the "tainted" water and will dehydrate which is incredibly dangerous for a sick rat.

A course of antibiotics should also be a minimum of 14 days not 5 or even 10. If the rat doesn't improve in 4-5 days on just the baytril (given orally NOT in water) another antibiotic like doxycycline may need to be added. I doubt an X-ray will be needed for a URI.

Back