I don't know what to do :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clairebee1

I am a first time rat owner and i have 2 boys.
About a month ago toto started making weird noises with his chest its like a whistling or a chatting noise.
Then it started to get worse hes eating,drinking and playing with his brother.
What should i do what could this be?
Im thinking of taking him to the vet but im scared because they have never been outside before and they are stressed very EAST Example: ( the new kittens )
So im stuck on what to do.
I know it might be a URI but theres no other symptoms!

Could the chatting noise be bruxxing? Bruxxing is when they grind their teeth together. Does it sound like it's coming from the chest or face?
If the boys need a vet visit, they will get over the stress of the visit. In the end, if they need meds, getting it for them is what counts.

If you have to bring them to the vet, make sure you have a good carrier or small cage and cover it with a blanket. My rats quiet down then and put some goodies in the cage. Good luck.

Hes making a loud breathing noise and jumping his body forward and its coming from his chest.
I cannot take him to the vet until monday would this be ok ?
Yes i have a carrier for him im really scared :( im not really having any good luck at the minute!

its like a wheezing noise.
And also i just noticed my other rat has like little bits of red crust on one of his eyes whats this?
I really wish i new what i was doing! :( :( :(

Is there any way to get to the vet sooner? I think your first boy if he's consistently breathign like that (unlike a choking fit which only lasts hours) is pretty sick.

The red stuff is porphyrin, a reddish discharge from eyes/nose that shows up when a rat is ill or stressed.

None of our vets have 24hrs and they all shut today at 2 and it is 15minutes to 2 here.

I just dont know what to he is eating and running around.
its weird the noises hes making.
I live a long way from any vets here so i would take me some time to travel :(
I don't think hes choking because hes eating .. and running about its just the weird breathing.

I think your sweetie needs meds right away. I would always try meds before putting him down. Do you have any kind of meds at home?

He really needs Baytril or any antibiotic. You could maybe try something like Benadryl but that will not clear an infection. It's good for allergies and such. Do you know another rat owner in your area who could have some meds on hand?

Clairebee1 said:
We have decided to take him to an vet right away we got one open.
I really am scared :( i don't want to loose him.
Even worse his brother will loose his bestfriend.

Thanks for all your help.

Fear is a terrible thing to have, Clairebee, I fully understand where you are coming from.

Nevertheless, you have GOT to be resilient! Trust me, my boy Ben HATES going into the transporter and anywhere outside!!! He has been to the vet 5-6 times since I brought him home last year in February... and he has managed to survive beautifully! :rose:

You will be fine Clairebee! As a new rat owner there is a great deal to be learned about your rats. You will learn about their habits, characteristics, and what issues they can develop during their lifetimes. Believe me, your little man will survive a trip to the vet!!! :wink:

Just breathe deep! We have all been where you are now, and we all know how you feel!!! :hugs:

Listen to Lilspaz and mamarat, as well as the many other members of this community who have amazing knowledge regarding rats!!!

You can always come here for a psychological "pick me up" and we will take care of you. Right now, what is important is that you try to be calm. If he is playing with his brother, and eating, then he should make it fine through the weekend. Try to keep them in quiet surroundings so that no outside influences can trigger any heavy breathing.

Monitor his ears, nose, tail, and feet to make sure that they are pink! Pale or blue extremities generally mean that he is not getting enough oxygen.

Only a vet can prescribe Baytril for any, possible, respiratory infection.

What kind of bedding do you have in the cage? Many rats have allergies to beddings such as "CareFresh" or "Yesterday's News"! My boys sneezed when I used it so I now line the bottom of the cage with fleece and paper towels. The paper towels get changed out every day and the cage gets scrubbed down with hot, soapy, water (I use a few drops of Palmolive - Antibacterial) and a crafty shot of white vinegar! This will get rid of any urine which has gotten onto the cage floor. Rat urine is toxic and can make them very sick, so it is important to scrub the cage down on, at least, a weekly basis. I am careful to use "organic" paper towels because the rats shred them and do not need the toxins which can be found in the ink used to put designs on paper towels. 100% recycled paper towels, in boring white or brown, is all I will give my boys! :)

I buy my fleece at the fabric store, and then cut it into pieces large enough to cover the entire bottom of the cage (almost like a carpet). My pieces are held in place by the cage itself (the cage actually sits in the pan so I can put down fleece and then put the cage over it to pin it to the floor!) I have 8-10 pieces cut like this so that I can change them out as often as necessary. They can be washed in the washer (I do mine on HOT!) and then dried on a delicate cycle. This helps prevent shrinking.

What are you feeding your boys? Rats can also suffer from food allergies. I feed my boys Harlan Teklad 2014 blocks and Oxbow Regal Rat food. If your boys are under 6 months, Harlan Teklad 2018 will work too! One serving of fresh fruit, on a daily basis, (one serving = one square inch) includes fruits like melons (cantaloupe, honeydew), blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and occasionally things like grapes and bananas. Never give male rats orange juice! There is an enzyme in orange juice which can make them really sick! Funny enough, though, a small piece of orange is not harmful! :D

Fresh vegetables are also very important and should be given in raw form as often as possible. I give my boys two servings of fresh vegetables every day. I give my boys Bok Choy (serving sizes are the same as with fruit), kale, romaine lettuce, tomato, baked sweet potato (sweet potatoes MUST be cooked/baked!!! Do not give rats raw potato! My boys also get cucumber, carrots, beets, broccoli, cauliflower... all in raw form.

Do you have the link to Debbie, "The Rat Lady", Ducommun's website? She provides a great deal of information on rat care and health issues. Here is the link in case you don't have it!

http://www.ratfanclub.org/helpinfo.html

Make sure that your rat cage is not subject to drafts! Rats are sensitive to drafts from windows, doors, and air conditioner or heating vents!

I cover three sides of my rat cage with a large sheet and a large towel to protect my boys from drafts. The side of the cage which has the door is obviously open.

Also, try to make sure that the rats have complete darkness for 8 consecutive hours in a 24 hour period! This includes light from kitchen appliances, alarm systems, etc.

I hope this info helps you get a better understanding of your little fur-faces!

Holler if you have any questions! :banana:

lilspaz68 said:
Hahaha..Jen, you missed that she is taking him to the vet today. good info though. :wink2:

LOL!!! Is there an emoticon on here which gives people a "raspberry"?

I think Calvin&Hobbes spelled the word out once.... it was TPBHTTPPBHT! Yeah... that looks about like how it would be spelled. :laugh4: :hugs:

Back from the vet and WOW he was so good with my babies.
He said i just caught it on time and gave me antibiotics!
He said my rats are very healthy and well looked after.
He was so gentle with them and really listened to me he took interest in them which i loved!
Im glad i took him.

Thanks guys for your support.
xxx :heart: :heart:

Back